SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

If the Summit is so bad, why are they consistently rated ahead of the BSC in recent years in men's basketball?

If UND was offered a package deal of Summit and MVFC membership, they would jump at the chance. NDSU on the other hand, would rather stay in the Summit/MVFC than take a BSC offer.

Portland St, Sac St, Southern Utah, Northern Ariz, etc. They don't get UND fans blood boiling any more than Oral Roberts, IPFW, etc would, and NDSU, SDSU, and USD would be more attractive both rivalry wise and geographically than U of Mont or MSU, which are supposedly UND's new rivals. .

Okay your daily duty of coming to a fan site of a team you have Moooved on from and trying to convince us that FU is better in every way is accomplished.If we said "Mission Accomplished" would you go away?

I am sick and tired of hearing all this "Fargo market, Fargo station" crap. We have a lot of alums that live in the Imperial Cass-Clay County Megalopolis (a fact that drives FU fans crazy) that have ZERO interest in the almighty Bison and are still 1000% loyal to UND athletics (and everything else for that matter). I guess those consumers somehow don't count and don't buy goods and services. Yeah, and the Vikings will win the Super Bowl next year. :silly:

We have been outmaneuvered by FU for 5 years in getting our product on the air in places that affect recruiting, fan interest, sponsorships and so on. When KFGO was talking with NDSU about a contract, I would have went behind FU's back and offered whatever it took to lock up KFGO for as long as possible. Then FU would have had to go crawling back to WDAY; whom they had just finished having a major falling out with. But no, we just sat on our hands and did nothing. Then, I had to listen to all the talking heads on KFGO blather on and on about "This is where the BISON play". :angry: FU gets continuous media coverage and hype, while we are an afterthought (a.k.a. "That OTHER school in North Dakota). And if you think that doesn't negatively effect recruiting to a certain extent, then you are kidding yourselves.

If it's going to be all about FU being in a bigger media market, then God help us in the future when we do win championships at a national level (I am confident we will get back to that level again....and soon). We'll get a brief mention on KFGO, a little more time on WDAY.....and then it will be back to talking about Saul Phillips and his "Slummit League" Men's Basketball team and their latest "big-time" match-up with IUPUIFW or whatever other two-bit schools they have in that hodge-podge, way-station conference of theirs. Of course, I'll be told that I don't know what I am talking about (again), but to paraphrase Jack Nicholson from "A Few Good Men": "Some people can't handle the truth". ;)

End rant. Have a great Friday. :)

Check your facts on that last statement. The Summit is ranked in the middle and for comparison The Big Sky is at the bottom of D1 mens basketball, that is fact. The rest of the rant I can appreciate and well said as UND probably should have went after KFGO more aggressively after NDSU made offer as the people in the know would have been made aware before deal was finallized.

The big question is if the SL is so great why do they lose a member almost every year where the BSC loses one about every decade or so.

That statement can be made of vast majority of conferences, Big12, SEC, ACC, Southland, Big East, on and on, these days lots of realignments and with TV money from football and mens basketball more moves to come.

That statement can be made of vast majority of conferences, Big12, SEC, ACC, Southland, Big East, on and on, these days lots of realignments and with TV money from football and mens basketball more moves to come.

22 teams have left (including ORU) in 14 years, no conference except maybe Independant or the Great West ever had that big of a turnaround.

22 teams have left (including ORU) in 14 years, no conference except maybe Independant or the Great West ever had that big of a turnaround.

Recently, ORU and Denver wanted in. UMKC left because they couldn't compete in the Summit. Oakland wanted in the Horizon because of geography, and I can't blame them. They went from a plane league to largely a bus league.

Are you saying UND wouldn't leave the BSC for a Summit/MVFC combo?

Recently, ORU and Denver wanted in. UMKC left because they couldn't compete in the Summit. Oakland wanted in the Horizon because of geography, and I can't blame them. They went from a plane league to largely a bus league.

Depends on if Douple is still there.

Denver is biding it's time at best.. the Summit/Denver match-up for sports is limited (Denver participates in 6 of the 11 SL sports) and Denver joined because they weren't required to add sports like other conferences would have required and the WAC fell apart. It is a convenient arrangement for both parties involved. Hell, Denver's most successful sports aren't in the SL (Hockey, Gymnastics, Lacrosse, and skiing). Summit still has to be nervous with Fort Worth and Indy looking for other options. ORU came back because the Southland fell apart. So, the two schools you are so proud of joining the SL really just "settled".

Denver is biding it's time at best.. the Summit/Denver match-up for sports is limited (Denver participates in 6 of the 11 SL sports) and Denver joined because they weren't required to add sports like other conferences would have required and the WAC fell apart. It is a convenient arrangement for both parties involved. Hell, Denver's most successful sports aren't in the SL (Hockey, Gymnastics, Lacrosse, and skiing). Summit still has to be nervous with Fort Worth and Indy looking for other options. ORU came back because the Southland fell apart. So, the two schools you are so proud of joining the SL really just "settled".

And the SL couldn't be happier to have gotten rid of Southern Utah. The BSC got a real winner there.

Men's basketball seems to be the determinant in how good D1 leagues are. And as long as the 3 Dakota schools, Omaha, Denver and ORU are in the SL, they will be the better conference than the BSC. Men's BB is THE sport for Omaha, Denver and ORU.

And the SL couldn't be happier to have gotten rid of Southern Utah. The BSC got a real winner there.

Men's basketball seems to be the determinant in how good D1 leagues are. And as long as the 3 Dakota schools, Omaha, Denver and ORU are in the SL, they will be the better conference than the BSC. Men's BB is THE sport for Omaha, Denver and ORU.

No FBS football drives college sports. Nice to see that you have 6 schools locked together, just don't count on Denver or ORU too much. They will both move if given a viable option. As far as SL being better than BSC - I don't see it. They are very similar conferences. You can point to RPI rankings but the RPI can and has been manipulated by conferences to give it a false front. I believe the real test of a conference is it's record vs top 100 schools that is what they look at for seeds:

Top 1-25 SL - 0-1 BSC 0-5

Top 25-50 SL - 0-9 BSC 1-6 (UNC beat Kanas St)

Top 50-100 SL - 4-20 BSC 3-14

Total SL 4-30 and BSC 4-25

I see both conference being fairly equal - one bid conferences with little chance of winning a game in the first round of 64.

http://www.cbssports...-sky-conference

http://www.cbssports...M/summit-league

Shifting gears here I saw BSC football war zone post on Facebook that Alaska-Anchorage is looking at adding FCS Football and bidding to join the BSC. Anyone see this or find out any more information?

They have an enrollment of 20,000 students so in my opinion they are certainly a viable candidate. Hopefully they can help with travel expenses for other teams like they have done with hockey in the past. Obviously more details would need to be worked out here but what are everyones thoughts on this?

Shifting gears here I saw BSC football war zone post on Facebook that Alaska-Anchorage is looking at adding FCS Football and bidding to join the BSC. Anyone see this or find out any more information?

They have an enrollment of 20,000 students so in my opinion they are certainly a viable candidate. Hopefully they can help with travel expenses for other teams like they have done with hockey in the past. Obviously more details would need to be worked out here but what are everyones thoughts on this?

As long as they chip in A LOT for travel, I'm ok with it. Wouldn't be excited about it, but wouldn't be angry either. Can't imagine the Sac St would approve.

As long as they chip in A LOT for travel, I'm ok with it. Wouldn't be excited about it, but wouldn't be angry either. Can't imagine the Sac St would approve.

Agreed. I originally thought that schools such as Portland and Sac wouldn't be for that. Should be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Check your facts on that last statement. The Summit is ranked in the middle and for comparison The Big Sky is at the bottom of D1 mens basketball, that is fact. The rest of the rant I can appreciate and well said as UND probably should have went after KFGO more aggressively after NDSU made offer as the people in the know would have been made aware before deal was finallized.

The reason I rip the Slummit League is because at any given time half of their members are looking for a better conference home. And a lot of their schools are in places where the local media and sports fans are focused on other things (larger colleges, professional teams, etc). The whole Men's RPI argument is a strawman because both the SL and the BSC are one-bid leagues.

epic rant but remember to give credit where credit is due! I coined "Slummit League" but your definition was spot on so I'm willing to share the credit with you my brother. I'm not SAYING, I'm just saying.....

I apologize, my bad. You own the Copyright to that, just like Goon owns the Copyright for "Anything less than a sweep this weekend is unacceptable!" :)

I saw that too on War Zone, they are planning to add football in 2016, but I cannot find any links on the net about it so I don't know where he got this story from. UAA isn't that competitive in hockey how are they going to be competitive in FCS football. I think they should go the non-scholly route with San Diego and Valpo.

There were rumors before that UAA would look at the WAC and be travel partners with Seattle.