SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

23 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

It really doesn't matter. This plan is a pipe dream of SV. He must stay up all night to think of these scenarios. SiouxVolley is obsessed with getting NDSU in the Big Sky. He is trying to think of any possible way that the Summit and MVFC will disolve and NDSU will have no chioce but join the BSC. 

Every school in the Slummit wants to leave, so it's hardly a pipe dream.  Get an NDSU or SDSU fan on the talk of MVC, and it's sign us up now!  If two schools leave, the Slummit is dead.

I Hopefully put  this is the right place for this question.I would like to know how many teams in FBS Football are fully funded with 63 full schlorarships.I know some conferences are non scholly.Are all the Big Sky teams  fully funded?Also with the roll out of cost of attendance how many schools have implemented that?

2 hours ago, Boomer 40AAA said:

I Hopefully put  this is the right place for this question.I would like to know how many teams in FBS Football are fully funded with 63 full schlorarships.I know some conferences are non scholly.Are all the Big Sky teams  fully funded?Also with the roll out of cost of attendance how many schools have implemented that?

FBS is 85. FCS is 63. 

To date to my knowledge, only UND has announced FCoA in the BSC. 

2 hours ago, Boomer 40AAA said:

Sorry thanks for correction.It is still easier 1A and 1AA.I know a  few years back Northern Colorado only offered 50 scholarships.Where would a guy find the requested information.

Don't know of a list.  Generally, FCS schools have to offer 90% of 63 in order to count for as an opponent of an FBS team.  Most conference teams will be at least 57 for that reason.

Some conferences don't give any schollies, like the Pioneer, but they give need based aid.  The Patriot has been changing it's policies, but generally they give aid disguised as scholarships.  So does the Ivy.  The Northeast conference gives scholarships, but DII level (36), as those schools want to stay DI without the cost.  Quite likely the MEAC and SWAC have teams in financial difficulty that don't give 57,  but then they would have to drop FBS games.

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

"The Bison have to meet Title IX obligations, raise their fundraising substantially and fund an entire athletic budget that currently operates at around $20 million annually"

Reasons why it will never happen.  

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

"The Bison have to meet Title IX obligations, raise their fundraising substantially and fund an entire athletic budget that currently operates at around $20 million annually"

Reasons why it will never happen.  

The bison will fail in the fcs, sounds like a broken record around Sioux sports.  What does Boise state have that ndsu does not have?  A blue field?

1 hour ago, Texas rancher said:

The bison will fail in the fcs, sounds like a broken record around Sioux sports.  What does Boise state have that ndsu does not have?  A blue field?

Almost 3 times as many people in their metro area? More than 600,000 people in the Boise metro versus about 225,000 in the Fargo metro.

2 hours ago, Texas rancher said:

Boise State has an outdoor field that was designed to become expandable, with upper decks, endzone seating etc.  Most college stadiums were expanded in piecemeal fashion, such as Montana's.  

18 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Wait, wait, wait ... 

We've been told here time and again by NDSU folks that NDSU has no concerns in the realm of Title IX. So why would that fellow bring that up? 

Same source article: 

... the chief question today is whether the Power 5 conferences (ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC) break off on their own.

If so, the bottom five FBS conferences (AAC, Conference USA, MAC, Mountain West and Sun Belt) may have no choice but to merge with at least the higher-tier FCS conferences, ... 

Again, we've been told that concept is non-sense. 

On 12/11/2015 at 10:45 AM, fightingsioux4life said:

The only way to make money in bowl games is to be good enough to get into a New Year's Day bowl (not necessarily the playoff bowls). And do you think either UND or NDSU would ever be able to do that? I say highly unlikely.

I don't think anybody has ever said NDSU doesn't have to meet Title IX requirements.  If the Bison move up to FBS it's obviously something they have to take into consideration.

14 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

Almost 3 times as many people in their metro area? More than 600,000 people in the Boise metro versus about 225,000 in the Fargo metro.

To be fair, the same argument could be made as to why UND Men's Hockey shouldn't be able to fill a 12,000 seat arena with a metro area of 100,000 at most. That is what some people were saying when the current REA was being built; we will never be able to fill it on a regular basis. Well, unless it is over the holiday break or spring break, we do just that.

NDSU has big hurdles going FBS (conference home or lack thereof, funding 22 extra scholarships, funding a new stadium), but metro area size is the least of them.

17 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Boise State has an outdoor field that was designed to become expandable, with upper decks, endzone seating etc.  Most college stadiums were expanded in piecemeal fashion, such as Montana's.  

City of Fargo will not allow funding for a new stadium. We have a unresolved flooding/diversion issue, and the city doesn't want the Fargodome to sit idle for a long period of time inbetween Ribfest, concerts and the monster truck rally. Best option for a stadium is for NDSU to get a massive fundraising effort to build one of their own. Of course by the time they raise the hundreds of millions the newly constructed BSA would be falling apart from age. Only way I see NDSU moving up is a playoff among the G5 conferences, a removal of the 15k attendance rule and a merge with upper FCS teams. Of course if NDSU moves up we better be on board of moving up too ( only with the above reasons).

Seriously, what's wrong with staying FCS? It is D-I in every sport. Unless the P5 break off, FCS is probably the only D-I sport NDSU will win a national title in. Besides hockey, FCS is UND's only other national championship possibility, as well. Basketball and volleyball titles were sacrificed to move up. Baseball, softball, soccer, etc were not even possibilities in D-II. Unless Sioux Volley is right about at least part of the Big Sky moving together, both UND and NDSU will be best served to remain FCS under the current system.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dakota said:

Seriously, what's wrong with staying FCS? It is D-I in every sport. Unless the P5 break off, FCS is probably the only D-I sport NDSU will win a national title in. Besides hockey, FCS is UND's only other national championship possibility, as well. Basketball and volleyball titles were sacrificed to move up. Baseball, softball, soccer, etc were not even possibilities in D-II. Unless Sioux Volley is right about at least part of the Big Sky moving together, both UND and NDSU will be best served to remain FCS under the current system.

I agree. Is it the glory of going to an unknown bowl game vs a 5 win team? Talk about watering down if that is the excuse to move out of the FCS. Until there is a legit playoff for G5 conferences the FCS is the place to be.