SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

The Bison posters just keep digging their hole deeper. I will take our niche sport of hockey over their niche sport of wrestling. Which sport put more butts in the seats? Hockey in Grand Forks or wrestling in Fargo? Does anyone have the numbers. I wonder how they compare.

Looks like they average a little over 600, with a high of 1465 against Minnesota.

What is their total home attendance for the year for wrestling in Fargo compared to the total home attendance for hockey in Grand Forks?  Are they comparable?  I know wrestling is pretty big in Fargo so I suppose their total is larger.

Shouldn't the Big XII be a bit embarrassed that they have to pull in six teams, an entire single-sport conference, to save the autobid for the (mere) four teams in their own conference?

The WWC should make OU, OSU, ISU, WVU join the WWC. :D 

UND hockey to B1G...That would essentailly mean the B1G screwed up, and saying to UND, "We need you." Now the hypothetical really expands: Could UND use that to open door for other programs? That is more likely than NDSU going to Big12 football....

Neither one of those things is even close to likely, or even possible.  Imagine Texas going to the Fargodome every other year for a football game, or Michigan to the Alerus. . . .  The mind boggles.

• 1 month later...

The Sun Belt board is abuzz with talk that Eastern Kentucky, Coastal Carolina, and NMSU will be added. Idaho wouldn't get renewed, according to the Ark St coach. May not happen til after the FCS playoffs this year.

E. Kentucky and Coastal going FBS before NDSU and Montana?

The Sun Belt board is abuzz with talk that Eastern Kentucky, Coastal Carolina, and NMSU will be added. Idaho wouldn't get renewed, according to the Ark St coach. May not happen til after the FCS playoffs this year.

E. Kentucky and Coastal going FBS before NDSU and Montana?

I can't see NDSU going FBS if it's to the Sun Belt. MAC, MWC sure but SB would really suck up the travel money, and remember that's why they are glad they aren't in the Big Sky.

I can't see NDSU going FBS if it's to the Sun Belt. MAC, MWC sure but SB would really suck up the travel money, and remember that's why they are glad they aren't in the Big Sky.

JMU or Mo St would take the MAC in a flash if it was offered. Same with Delaware, Stony Brook, and Albany. All those are much more desirable for the MAC than the bizons. Fargo is just too small.

The only way the MWC would look at the bison was if the American took six or so of its teams to get better CFP position.. Then the MWC would be down to Wyoming, Nevada, UNLV, San Jose St, Utah St, and maybe Hawaii. The MWC would add Montana, Montana St, NMSU, Idaho and maybe UCDavis and call it a day.

NDSU is never going to join the Sun Belt, bad fit for both parties. 

Also it would only work as a football only thing and that seems to be going out of fashion in the FBS/G5 world. 

I do agree JMU would jump to the MAC, rumors were they were very close until UMass decided to not go all in. 

So where would that leave idaho if all that went down

Idaho is likely without a football conference after the 2017 season, but their AD insists they are still in the Sun Belt come 2018. NMSU doesn't sound like it has the votes of eastern teams to stay in either, but if Ark St or LA-La get invited to CUSA to replace UAB, NMSU could get a full invite.

There's now a rumor going around that the NCAA soon won't require a conference invite for FBS. Instead, a team wanting to go FBS from FCS pays a fee similar to a new DI team ($1.2 mill) to begin an FBS transition.

If that's the case, almost all the upper level FCS teams will leave en masse.

The CAA could take JMU, Liberty, Delaware, Towson, maybe Villanova as an affiliate, Stony Brook, Albany, UNH, and Maine and become an FBS conference after a few years. UMass could be an affiliate. But Liberty, Stony Brook, Albany, Maine, and UNH would have to be invited as full members for the CAA to eventually get a share of the CFP pie. Going Indy doesn't buy much.

The MVC would even be stickier, as the basketball schools don't want more stinking football schools entering their club.

The MVC would even be stickier, as the basketball schools don't want more stinking football schools entering their club.

Devil's advocate says the MVC says it's an easy opportunity for its football schools to play big boy football.

I don't see any of that happening, but hey cool if it does.

Devil's advocate says the MVC says it's an easy opportunity for its football schools to play big boy football.

I don't see any of that happening, but hey cool if it does.

UAB, Kennesaw St, and Tenn-Chattanooga would jump at a shot of an FBS MVC (assuming UABs pres is fired). The MVC doesn't necessarily want the extraneous MVFC affiliate teams, but places where skilled FB and BasketB players can be recruits.

Youngstown St would probably move to the CAA. The Dakota teams might have the Big Sky as their only suitor.