SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

Dom said about 20 times that he thought the MVC would take ORU, which is probably going to be incorrect but he never really made it seem like it was a slam dunk that NDSU and SDSU were going to join....Two MVC AD's told Dom the MVC had some interest in NDSU so it wasn't like he was speculating wildly.

They interviewed 5 schools and NDSU was not one of them.

If there is one thing we have learned in the past month, Location, Location, Location is still the most important thing.

The OVC has an ESPN TV deal, is very stable and has a very tight footprint. The MVC couldn't get Belmont...I doubt anyone goes to the Horizon.

Any particular reason why right now the Indiana schools in the Summit arent getting serious looks from the Horizon currently?

They are not well supported both in terms of fans going to game and actual $$$. I remember a few years ago it was reported that IPFW's athletic department received $100,000 in donations from alumni.

They visited 4 schools....who knows how many they interviewed. All I know is that they had a list of 16 schools at one point and then it was reported they were visiting four.

The list of 16 could have been a list of midwest schools who could be interested in moving up. The entire Summit could have been on it. To some that may be an interest list. To me that is a starting point.

Well either the UWGB beat writer is way out in front or he is a complete fool for already putting an article about it in the Green Bay Gazette website. Pretty reckless reporting if it isn't true.......

While this all might end up being true,there seems to be a lot of misinformation being put out by the media.I'm talking about in general,not just this story. With their industry in so much trouble you would think they would do better.

That said, here is another story with denials of a Horizon offer to Oakland: http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/sports/college/oakland-comments-on-horizon-league

I believe they have two years to find a 6th (who is not a current move-up.)

Will the Summit even exist come July 1, 2014?

either the horizon or summit or both is going to die. possibly both. The horizon could collapse in a hurry, the summit on the other hand will likely die a slow, slow death.

Lets call the summit what it is, The Dakota Little 3. Thats whos going to be left standing last in the conference.

The summit is one of two conferences that wouldn't have to greatly expand their footprint to include the stranded Dakota 3.

There are 18 teams between the Summit and the Horizon. The A10, MVC, CAA, and OVC would have to take alot of them to kill either league. Both will do all they can to preserve their respective autobids to the basketball tournament. They will both stick around in some form. Look what the WAC did to preserve their autobid.

It all depends basically on how many teams the A10 and the MVC pilfer from the Horizon. My guess is that it will be fewer than what we are all thinking at the moment. I still think Oral Roberts makes a ton of sense for the MVC, and that would likely quell alot of the potential flux that could be forthcoming for both the Horizon and the Summit. In the end, the ex-NCC Summit schools could end up aligned with UW-Green Bay and UW-Milwaukee. If I was fan of one of those schools, I'd consider that a net gain over the current Summit, even without Denver.................

I wouldn't be shocked if in 3-4 years, the Summit is made up of North Dakota St., South Dakota St., South Dakota, Nebraska-Omaha, Western Illinois, IPFW, IUPUI, UW-Green Bay, and UW-Milwaukee. That is better than today's Summit League.............

Having said all that, I think we are in store for a lot of conference shuffling over the next 4-6 years, and the Big Sky will likely not be immune.

either the horizon or summit or both is going to die. possibly both. The horizon could collapse in a hurry, the summit on the other hand will likely die a slow, slow death.

Can't see how that would possibly be.

Butler had like nine wins in the NCAA while they were still in the Horizon. Each win equals $250,000 in conference payments over six years. Add in six more appearances, that would be 15 units that the NCAA owes the Horizon in the next couple of years, giving the Horizon $3.75 mill in payments per year. Each school in the Horizon gets a share, so that gives each Horizon school around $400,000 per year. The Summit doesn't have any wins, but has appearances, so the NCAA gives the Summit $1.5 mill /yr, or around $150,000 / school. Anybody with any sense would move from the Summit to the Horizon, especially with the Horizon having a contract with ESPN.

Actually, seems it could benefit SDSU if the Summit League disbanded. If a conference disbands, then the units go to the schools with the appearance or win, not the conference. SDSU could stand to gain $500,000 a year for the next five years if the Summit disbands, as the NCAA money for their appearances would go directly to SDSU, plus pick up extra money if its in the Horizon. It is kind of win / win for SDSU, provided they get in another conference. NDSU would likely get like one payment of $250,000 for its one appearance. SDSU would be up almost a million a year for the next few years if it got a bid to the Horizon and killed off the Summit.

The Horizon has a lot of money to disburse over the next few years. No way to the leftover schools or Summit schools want it to disband, otherwise that money goes to Butler. Practically any school near the Horizon footprint in either the Summit or OVC would move there, provided any football team has a home.

If Oakland leaves for the Horizon, the ballsy play for the Summit would be to find a way to jettison its eastern wing (bids to the Horizon League or OVC) and then invite UND, Montana, Montana St., Northern Colorado and Weber State.

That would give you a 10 team league with 8 football schools and distinct 5 teams divisions for olympic sports to minimize travel. For hoops and volleyball Omaha and Weber would be travel partners, while the other pairs are the in-state rivals.

UND

NDSU

USD

SDSU

UNO

Weber St

Montana

Montana St

No. Colorado

Denver

You would have a high level FCS league and a basketball league that would have the potential for multiple bids. Most importantly, you would create a stable league of like-minded institutions with some decent media markets that could in a short amount of time become an upper tier mid-major conference. You would also have the ability to create a Mountain Plains academic consortium that would be a smaller scale version of the Big Ten's CIC.

If Oakland leaves for the Horizon, the ballsy play for the Summit would be to find a way to jettison its eastern wing (bids to the Horizon League or OVC) and then invite UND, Montana, Montana St., Northern Colorado and Weber State.

That would give you a 10 team league with 8 football schools and distinct 5 teams divisions for olympic sports to minimize travel. For hoops and volleyball Omaha and Weber would be travel partners, while the other pairs are the in-state rivals.

UND

NDSU

USD

SDSU

UNO

Weber St

Montana

Montana St

No. Colorado

Denver

You would have a high level FCS league and a basketball league that would have the potential for multiple bids. Most importantly, you would create a stable league of like-minded institutions with some decent media markets that could in a short amount of time become an upper tier mid-major conference. You would also have the ability to create a Mountain Plains academic consortium that would be a smaller scale version of the Big Ten's CIC.

It would also give a middle finger to the mvc football schools.

UND

NDSU

USD

SDSU

UNO

Weber St

Montana

Montana St

No. Colorado

Denver

I would like to see Idaho and NMSU get involved, even if it doesn't mean football comes with...

UND

NDSU

USD

SDSU

UNO

Denver

Weber St

Montana

Montana St

No. Colorado

NMSU

Idaho

Now that would be a great conference....could even add UCD and CP for football only to make it even stronger.

Fullerton needs to take advantage of the situation and bring in FU and Denver. FU, is the 2 time defending national champ in football and would be travel partner for UND. There would be less chance of leakage to FBS if you keep the North Dakota and Montana schools in one conference and keep them happy.

Denver, great academic addition and travel partner for UNC.

Fullerton needs to take advantage of the situation and bring in FU and Denver. FU, is the 2 time defending national champ in football and would be travel partner for UND. There would be less chance of leakage to FBS if you keep the North Dakota and Montana schools in one conference and keep them happy.

Denver, great academic addition and travel partner for UNC.

Are you talking about moving NDSU into the BSC for all sports or Olympic sports? No way FU would move from the MVFC. Adding FU for Olympic sports would be good for the BSC that way they could split into divisions now that Idaho is back.

Can't see how that would possibly be.

Butler had like nine wins in the NCAA while they were still in the Horizon. Each win equals $250,000 in conference payments over six years. Add in six more appearances, that would be 15 units that the NCAA owes the Horizon in the next couple of years, giving the Horizon $3.75 mill in payments per year. Each school in the Horizon gets a share, so that gives each Horizon school around $400,000 per year. The Summit doesn't have any wins, but has appearances, so the NCAA gives the Summit $1.5 mill /yr, or around $150,000 / school. Anybody with any sense would move from the Summit to the Horizon, especially with the Horizon having a contract with ESPN.

Actually, seems it could benefit SDSU if the Summit League disbanded. If a conference disbands, then the units go to the schools with the appearance or win, not the conference. SDSU could stand to gain $500,000 a year for the next five years if the Summit disbands, as the NCAA money for their appearances would go directly to SDSU, plus pick up extra money if its in the Horizon. It is kind of win / win for SDSU, provided they get in another conference. NDSU would likely get like one payment of $250,000 for its one appearance. SDSU would be up almost a million a year for the next few years if it got a bid to the Horizon and killed off the Summit.

The Horizon has a lot of money to disburse over the next few years. No way to the leftover schools or Summit schools want it to disband, otherwise that money goes to Butler. Practically any school near the Horizon footprint in either the Summit or OVC would move there, provided any football team has a home.

i think the idea is that if the horizon loses YSU to the CAA and detroit and lets say cleveland state to the A10, how fast are the other schools going to head for the exits? Thats why I said that if the horizon dies, it will die fast. If it lingers, they will just backfill with summit schools until there is noone left.

I have no interest in being in a conference with the montana or idaho schools. Give me the 5 I-29 schools, western illinois, the UW's and whoever is interested/remaining out of UNC+ Denver, Oakland, and whatever is left for the Chicago and Indiana schools.

I have no interest in being in a conference with the montana or idaho schools. Give me the 5 I-29 schools, western illinois, the UW's and whoever is interested/remaining out of UNC+ Denver, Oakland, and whatever is left for the Chicago and Indiana schools.

Then it's good you're an NDSU fan and don't have to worry about being in the big sky.

Then it's good you're an NDSU fan and don't have to worry about being in the big sky.

thanks for your contribution to this discussion. It's nice having little stalkers who get butthurt because my opinion deviates from the groupthink.

UND deserves better than the big sky. You are allowed to think otherwise, and i won't accuse you of not being a fan of UND because you think so low of UND that you think the bigsky is appropriate. I actually have standards for my school, I'm sorry that you don't.