SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux at Southern Utah

Cratter

SUU is good... I would say a legit top 10-15 FCS team. That loss to SDSU in the opener could haunt them come playoff time however.

Offensively, the QB is awesome. But, they don't have the talent at WR that they have had the last couple of years. The OL is huge, but their backs are pretty average so the running game is suspect (as it was last year). Sorenson is good enough to beat teams on his own, but has almost thrown as many picks this year (5) as he did all of last year (6). He is going to throw for 300+ most likely, but UND needs to find a way to create a couple of turnovers like SDSU did. With just two interceptions all year by the Sioux defense, I'm not banking on it.

The reason SUU was so tough defensively last year is that they had the two best corners in the conference. They also moved a former starting corner to strong safety so they had great man coverage skills in the secondary. The best corner graduated, but the other two secondary guys are still there along with an All-America caliber DE and one real good linebacker. They still like to play press coverage and with five pick 6's in the first four games I'd say it's working. They want to take away the short stuff and dare teams to throw over the top, which obviously works quite well for them.

For UND to have a chance they HAVE to run the football well (40+ times for 200+ yards). Pass blocking is not the strength of this OLine and I don't like the thought of DeNeui and McKendry having to go one on one with one of the best DE's in the country 30+ times in pass protection.

So, even though there will be complaints on this board for them to open up the offense, UND's best shot of winning is to continue to pound the football on the ground like they have the past couple of weeks and not turn it over. With SUU's defensive style and the way they will load up the box, there will be a lot of 1-3 yards runs. But give Miller and Garman enough touches and hopefully they can break a couple big ones which in turn may open up some play action passing.

Like others have mentioned, SUU is an overall bad match up for UND and it will take a very well played game by the Sioux to come out of there with a win.

What channel and time?

NDSU plays at 1 on North Dakota NBC and Comcast Sportsnet Chicago. I don't know if Comcast Sportsnet Chicago comes with the normal package. Doesn't affect me really.

What time does UND play at? I wouldn't mind keeping tabs on how they are doing against what appears to be a solid team.

NDSU plays at 1 on North Dakota NBC and Comcast Sportsnet Chicago. I don't know if Comcast Sportsnet Chicago comes with the normal package. Doesn't affect me really.

What time does UND play at? I wouldn't mind keeping tabs on how they are doing against what appears to be a solid team.

UND plays at 2pm. I am glad NDSU is on tv. I could possibly see my wife and oldest son on tv. :)

Is it on direct tv? I'm in Colorado so Nodak NBC is not an option. I have the sports pack and I get to see a lot of random games. I really would like to catch part of the NDSU game as well if possible.

I would say that if the defense isn't aggressive, they could be picked apart and another 400 yards passing could be put up. If they are at least aggressive against that attack, they should be able to come up with a few picks to help offset the passing numbers. If they get it handed to them without any turnovers, it could be a long day. Hopefully the Sioux will get on the board early and can keep the SUU offense off the field.

This was posted as information on the NDSU telecast.....

I know it will be channel 666 on Direct TV if you get the Sports Pack (or live in Illinois or Iowa as your local sports channel).

The regular Comcast Chicago is 665 but it will be on the 'Plus' channel.

As for the UND webcast......will it be free and what is the site that will have it? I usually stream to my home theater system via my laptop's HDMI jack. It works pretty well. Not quite like a regualar broadcast.....but it beats the heck out of the old days of just listening to an internet audio stream!

Other games you might be interested in are listed below. The start times are CDT and the channel is the Directv channel.

Robert Morris at Monmouth 11:00 a.m. MSG+ - 635 (HD?)

William & Mary at Villanova 11:00 a.m. CSNE - 630 (HD?)

Sacramento State at Montana State 2:30 p.m.

CSCA - 698 (HD?)

Weber State at Eastern Washington 2:30 p.m. ALT - 681 (HD?)

As for the UND webcast......will it be free and what is the site that will have it? I usually stream to my home theater system via my laptop's HDMI jack. It works pretty well. Not quite like a regualar broadcast.....but it beats the heck out of the old days of just listening to an internet audio stream!

UND Insider will be picking up the feed from SUU T-Bird Zone. Both sites require a paid membership to watch live video. UND's webhost is NeuLion and I believe that part of our deal with them is that whenever we play away games against other schools that use NeuLion we can pick up their video feed for free.

UND Insider does have a free membership that allows the user to listen to audio broadcasts for free. But what fun is that in today's technological age?

For those that reside in this part of the country...

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/UND-Alumni-Friends-SLC-Chapter/233715103344434

Join us on Saturday October 1st as your University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux Football team takes on Southern Utah University in Cedar City, UT.

We will begin tailgating in the South parking lot (off 200 South and 800 West) around 11 am. We'll continue on until game time at 1 pm.

General admission tickets (seating on the east side of the stadium) are available on line through the SUU webs...ite or at the box office for $7.00.

BYOB and food - sorry, this year we will not be grilling hot dogs.

We will have some great UND give-aways!

Get a group rate room at the Crystal Inn Hotel & Suites

1575 West 200 North

Cedar City, UT 84720

1-888-787-6661

Ask for the "Alumni of North Dakota" rate.

Plan on joining us in the on-site bar at the Crystal Inn after the football game for some Sioux hockey! They should be able to get (but could not guarentee) the UND vs. Regina hockey game on TV that night. There is an adjoining meeting room that has a television for our Sioux fans under 21 years old.

Contact Leanne Norman with any questions.

• Upvote 1

I usually stream to my home theater system via my laptop's HDMI jack. It works pretty well. Not quite like a regualar broadcast.....but it beats the heck out of the old days of just listening to an internet audio stream!

On the home theatre subject, I used to hook the laptop to my TV, but what a pain in the butt I thought.....................so about a month ago, I got an Acer Revo. It is quite awesome. It's a PC with wifi, HDMI output, Blu-Ray player all in one. About 6 in. by 12 in. and 1 in. thick, it fits nicely in the entertainment center, and has about a 4 in. by 5 in. wireless keyboard/mouse that is basically your remote control. It was about $400 bucks, but totally worth it. I can just plop my butt in front of the TV and watch video on Fightingsioux.com, ESPN3, or whatever with no more hassle than it is to pop in a DVD. I really like it.

I feel bad about myself....my wife asked me who the Sioux Football team plays this weekend and I said "Regina" without even thinking. When I thought about it, I had no idea who the Sioux footballers were lining up against this week....

Must be about hockey season.... :whistling:

After Thumping of UNLV, SUU is on the Rise

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700182949/SUU-football-After-thumping-UNLV-Thunderbirds-are-on-the-rise.html?pg=1

Sounds like their fans are more enthused than ever:

CEDAR CITY — With perhaps their best football team in history, the Southern Utah Thunderbirds are making new fans everywhere.

The town of 30,000 is going nuts for the Thunderbirds; people down the freeway in St. George are jumping on the bandwagon, and even students from opposing schools are getting caught up in SUU fever.

The T-Birds traveled down to Las Vegas last Saturday night to face a UNLV team coming off a 20-point victory over Hawaii and laid a 41-16 whipping on the Rebels. By the end of the game, many UNLV students had turned their red UNLV shirts around and joined red-shirted SUU fans in celebration on the sidelines. ...

"It was a shocker to me," he said. "For home games, 8,000 is considered a good crowd for us. We aspire to get that many. I was pretty certain we had 5,000-plus SUU fans (at UNLV). It was an electric environment."

I'm sure to SUU and their fans, beating UNLV is not unlike NDSU beating Minnesota. The big bad FBS team down the road ya know............. Good for them. It is nice to see SUU having success the last few years. They strengthen the Great West and will strengthen the Big Sky.

Now let's go kick their ass on Saturday................. :sneaky:

With the Fighting Sioux of North Dakota dominating the Yellow Jackets of Black Hills State over.

We turn our attention to the next opponent: Southern Utah Thunderbirds, a future Big Sky opponent, and current Great West Conference opponent.

The Sioux should have all their hands full as SUU just beat a FBS (I-A) team in UNLV for a record of 3-1 with the one loss coming by a point at South Dakota State.

Massey Ratings give UND a 13% chance to win this game.

It has now dropped to 6%.