SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux at Southern Utah

Cratter

We need to pull out all of the stops and go for a victory. What really frosts me is that when the Bison go to Minnesota they go in with a swagger, play aggressively, take risks (lateral on an interception etc) while we take a knee on the 50. While we finally had a game plan that worked and showed some adjustments especially on the line, Mussman's lack of stones cost us. Come on coaches, cowboy up for a change. We have shown some real strengths in the last two games. Let's go for it.

Last year's game was totally dominated by SUU, as Sorensen threw for 413 yards, and the UND offense did almost nothing after the first drive. But on the bright side, 317 of those yards were by Poots and Sitake, who are no longer on the team. I also find it somewhat encouraging that SDSU had a lot of success moving the ball against them earlier this season, gaining over 400 yards despite not having a very good quarterback. I don't believe the SUU run defense is all that great (giving up 150 yards per game), but Bradley will need to be accurate when called upon so as to discourage SUU from putting eight or nine in the box to stop the run.

As others have mentioned, the keys are:

1. avoid turning the ball over, as SUU has made a living off defensive scores;

2. run the ball well to control the clock, and mix in some shots down the field to keep the defense somewhat honest. Give Hardin and McGill a chance to make some plays;

3. learn from the mistakes of last year, and from the Idaho game this year with regard to pass defense. SUU is going to throw the ball 40-plus times, and chances are a few will be potential int's. Take advantage when the opportunity arises, and don't give huge cushions or Sorensen will complete the 5 to 10 yard passes all day long. Be aggressive and let the chips fall where they may.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/216816/group/Sports/

That’s the challenge to us as a football program. Let’s go out to nationally ranked team’s house and see if we can get a win.

It would be nice to have a coach that would teach our kids to approach a game with confidence. Let's not go into the game hoping we might get a win. Let's go into the game knowing that we have plenty of young talent on our team and expecting to come out with a victory.

• Upvote 1

I think when comparing Mussman to Bohl is I think it has to do with confidence

Bohl went down to gopherville knowing he can win and expected to win.

Mussman is going to SUU hopeing he can win and expecting to play a football game.

I think Bohl is equal to Hardee IMO. They both know they have a good team that they have built and expect to win every game.

See where it got Bohl and where it got Hardee. Top teams in the dakotas.

I hope Mussman can start coaching with confidence.

In hockey terms i compare Mussman to John Hill former assistant coach with gophers.

I think when comparing Mussman to Bohl is I think it has to do with confidence

Bohl went down to gopherville knowing he can win and expected to win.

Mussman is going to SUU hopeing he can win and expecting to play a football game.

I think Bohl is equal to Hardee IMO. They both know they have a good team that they have built and expect to win every game.

See where it got Bohl and where it got Hardee. Top teams in the dakotas.

I hope Mussman can start coaching with confidence.

In hockey terms i compare Mussman to John Hill former assistant coach with gophers.

Plus if you (coach) have confidence your players will have confidence. They will play harder and the game could turn out differently. Kids are NOT stupid. If they see the coach not putting much faith in the team you think that player is going to work his @ss off? Every year when it was Sioux-Bison RT had his kids try and they knew (80's) that weren't going to win. In the 90's RT restored faith and confidence in those games that they went out on the field and believed they could knock off the Bison and in 1993 they did. You need that fire, you need that faith, and you need to believe that you can go down to Cedar City and win. Winning is everything....its the only thing!!

Good to see them get another game picked up for true TV broadcast and not just webcast. It needs to be pointed out that this is only on Midco sports network and not Fox College Sports.

But the UND Insider is still a great option for those of you outside of the ND/SD/nwMN markets that will be airing the game.

Faison has stated many times that their goal is to increase the # of both home and away games for all of our sports, and hopfully get ALL hockey games, home and away, on TV.

I'm not sure on the score but Sioux willl win by 3

Special teams will be the difference as we are able to make some plays to get our offense into field position. Defense has to make them work their way down the field and not give up the big plays. Offense has to play ball control and not turn it over. O-line has to be as dominating tomorrow as they were 2 weeks ago.

Good luck tomorrow boys.

I get concerned when I hear Mussman on the news say "we need to keep things in front of us". I hope that doesn't mean playing off the receivers and guard against the long ball. I guess we will see tomorrow what that means. I would hope that we would be able to compete with another FCS team in athletes and be able to pick our spots to be aggressive.

• Upvote 1

I get concerned when I hear Mussman on the news say "we need to keep things in front of us". I hope that doesn't mean playing off the receivers and guard against the long ball. I guess we will see tomorrow what that means. I would hope that we would be able to compete with another FCS team in athletes and be able to pick our spots to be aggressive.

You got your answer today. Defense played very well today. The whole team played well today and everyone did what they needed to. This young team is growing up. Young guys are making plays.