SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

I don't think the University has the gonads to fire Muss. All we can hope for is Muss finally realizes it's time for him to move on and go elsewhere. Go rejoin Lennon at SIU

How did Ndsu ever get rid of babbich? Did he see the light and move on, or did someone give him the heave ho?

Call me an apologist if you want, but I didn't expect us to come out of the transition and immediately contend for an FCS title, or even a BSC title for a number of years. I believe it was delusional to expect that. Some on here do not want to hear it, but we had a unique transition that probably put us a year or 2 behind where we should have been in year 1 and 2 of the BSC.

But, if firing the head coach was the magic pill for winning, why not fire every coach after every sub-500 season? Or, after every loss? Quality institutions do not normally do that. A program needs stability to improve. Coming into this year with 2 rookie coordinators and 3 freshman qb's, I expected it to be tough road, maybe even brutal at times, in a very, very good conference.

A study was done a couple years ago about BCS programs and the firing of head coaches. I expect it somewhat follows at the FCS level too.

http://www.colorado.edu/news/releases/2012/11/14/fire-coach-not-so-fast-says-new-study-university-colorado-loyola-professors

"They assessed how coaching replacements affected team performance for the four years following a replacement. They found that, on average:

When a team had been performing particularly poorly, replacing the coach resulted in a small, but short-lived, improvement in performance after a change.

The records of mediocre teams -- those that, on average, won about 50 percent of their games in the year prior to replacing a coach -- became worse. "

“When a college football team’s performance is disappointing, the first and often only remedy administrators, fans and sports writers turn to is firing the coach. This is usually an expensive approach to solving the problem.

“Despite the fanfare that often accompanies the hiring of a new coach, our research demonstrates that at least with respect to on-field performance, coach replacement can be expected to be, at best, a break-even antidote.”

• Upvote 3

Call me an apologist if you want, but I didn't expect us to come out of the transition and immediately contend for an FCS title, or even a BSC title for a number of years. I believe it was delusional to expect that. Some on here do not want to hear it, but we had a unique transition that probably put us a year or 2 behind where we should have been in year 1 and 2 of the BSC.

But, if firing the head coach was the magic pill for winning, why not fire every coach after every sub-500 season? Or, after every loss? Quality institutions do not normally do that. A program needs stability to improve. Coming into this year with 2 rookie coordinators and 3 freshman qb's, I expected it to be tough road, maybe even brutal at times, in a very, very good conference.

A study was done a couple years ago about BCS programs and the firing of head coaches. I expect it somewhat follows at the FCS level too.

http://www.colorado....yola-professors

"They assessed how coaching replacements affected team performance for the four years following a replacement. They found that, on average:

When a team had been performing particularly poorly, replacing the coach resulted in a small, but short-lived, improvement in performance after a change.

The records of mediocre teams -- those that, on average, won about 50 percent of their games in the year prior to replacing a coach -- became worse. "

“When a college football team’s performance is disappointing, the first and often only remedy administrators, fans and sports writers turn to is firing the coach. This is usually an expensive approach to solving the problem.

“Despite the fanfare that often accompanies the hiring of a new coach, our research demonstrates that at least with respect to on-field performance, coach replacement can be expected to be, at best, a break-even antidote.”

Are you serious???

I don't need a "study" as an excuse for Muss at this point. The "study" I'll use is Muss's 6 years of coaching which at best could be defined as marginal for a FCS coach.

• Upvote 1

We are not a top 10 team because we are just out of our transition and most if not all teams don't win NCs first few years out of transition - I think expectations of the fan base are ridiculously out of whack with the reality of the team's talent level and commitment of the University and Fan base - to blame all of this on Muss is small minded. You don't think the football team doesn't read the comments on this site or others showing the negativity from the 'so-called fans' of the program? You don't think that we as a fan base don't hold some responsibility for out of whack expectations? The truth is we all hated NDSU jumping to DI and we are jealous of their success...Naturally, people want what they have and when its not on their time schedule most of us are on this page venting on student atheletes and coaches. Trying to keep a team together because they are not what they thought they were...this is a scary moment for the program and the for the kids who are on this team. I have no doubt the coaching staff is going to talk to them and try to rally them because I'm sure they felt they have let the fans down...reality is that we have set too high a bar for this team (look back at our expectations that they should knock off at least 2 or 3 of these teams in the first 5 games- I saw multiple postings mentioning this) and when a team loses badly you don't move the bar even higher unless you want the team to disengage/mutiny to your goals for the year. Lastly, firing muss or even talking about it now does nothing for this football team...you will not get a decent coach to come into this program at this point in the season and you will be stuck with someone from the current staff that realizes their job is temporary - how well do you think that is going to work for your expectations for a playoff season or keeping any recruits or current members on the team?

Well said.

Are you serious???

I don't need a "study" as an excuse for Muss at this point. The "study" I'll use is Muss's 6 years of coaching which at best could be defined as marginal for a FCS coach.

...and this sickening drive chart. http://espn.go.com/ncf/drivechart?gameId=332570155

...and see no signs of it getting better...maybe he's right...maybe their that good.

Are you serious???

Well, I guess you're the expert. Can we assume you'll be applying and eventually straighten things out for us?

• Upvote 1

Hazelton is a phenomenal coach and a great guy. He'd probably change the defense to Tampa 2 though... I've always liked running the 3-4.... But if it means alot more wins then why not.

Could UND pay him enough to even consider the job?

So we can expect the team to go "toe to toe" with MSU next week?

We might go "toe to toe" with them. They don't call it "foot" ball for nothin'. I doubt it will be a "nail biter" though.

A defensive coordinator change is definitely needed. If the offense is humming, no need to change that, but the defense lacks toughness and proper assignments, that's on the DC's head. A great example is Texas. There defense was one of the best until losing Muschamp; now they're terrible. Is it all Mack Brown's fault? No. Do they now just have terrible defensive players? No. They need a change at DC to get their defense where they should be.

Don't be like every other idiot fanbase that thinks the magic answer is always fire the coach and start anew. This site calls for Hakstols head each and every year.

They looked like crap. Absolutely zero running game vs. a bad Mesa team. This game is going to be closer than people think.

I agree. I happened to watch that game because I was curious. Their offense was not very good. One of the TD's was a defensive score on a pick six that was a poorly thrown ball.

Their defense is good as usual but they are missing some key pieces there. I was disgusted after the Montana game like most of you on here but if these guys have any pride whatsoever then then the MSU game could be competitive.

A defensive coordinator change is definitely needed. If the offense is humming, no need to change that, but the defense lacks toughness and proper assignments, that's on the DC's head. A great example is Texas. There defense was one of the best until losing Muschamp; now they're terrible. Is it all Mack Brown's fault? No. Do they now just have terrible defensive players? No. They need a change at DC to get their defense where they should be.

Don't be like every other idiot fanbase that thinks the magic answer is always fire the coach and start anew. This site calls for Hakstols head each and every year.

He promoted Kotelnicki...characterized it as a "no-brainer". I guess he should get a pass for that?

He promoted Kotelnicki...characterized it as a "no-brainer". I guess he should get a pass for that?

Don't you think he deserves at least a full season? He was one of the best special teams coaches in FCS, deserved the promottion to DC, and I think he deserves more than 3 games to prove that he can turn our defense around. And I think he will.

We changed DC from last year. How's that worked out so far? They showed signs of life for the first time since Hendrickson was at LB against SDSU. Kotelnicki is not the issue.

Don't you think he deserves at least a full season? He was one of the best special teams coaches in FCS, deserved the promottion to DC, and I think he deserves more than 3 games to prove that he can turn our defense around. And I think he will.

The poster was calling for the DC's head. The entire staff will have the chance to put in a full body of work for the 2013 season. I wish I shared your optimism.

We changed DC from last year. How's that worked out so far? They showed signs of life for the first time since Hendrickson was at LB against SDSU. Kotelnicki is not the issue.

What/who is the issue? What are your thoughts on the possible lack of effort by some players and the goofing around on the sidelines during the blowout? Who is responsible?

What/who is the issue? What are your thoughts on the possible lack of effort by some players and the goofing around on the sidelines during the blowout? Who is responsible?

Everyone is responsible. The young players for being immature. The strength coaches for not being all over that. The coaches for not making expectations crystal clear before the season for sideline conduct. The older players for not putting an end to it. The captains for the same reason. All it takes is one upperclassman to freak !@#$ on a freshman or whomever and it will end very quickly.

There will be no change during the season. If there is a change you want to the possible candidates and that won't happen in the middle of a season. We can fuss all we want but there is no reason not to focus on getting better each day. Offensively we can still score. Might need to scrap the running game. Might need to get creative to keep pressure off the QB's. Not sure what to say about the defense. I don't have an answer other than they must get better. Coaching and players need to pick it up. It isn't going to get easier and there isn't a team on our schedule that can't beat us on a given day. That is how it will be in the Big Sky. Our kids and coaches can listen to this kind of crap or they can start playing above theier level of ability play after play. Think Indiana State was better than NDSU last year? Find a way to get better and find a way to win. Screw what people think about the coaching. Suck it up and work harder. We aren't good enough to over come mental mistakes, penalties and lack or focus. We are good enough to be a lot better.