SiouxSports.com Forum

Fire Muss

darell1976

Lets say he does get fired. Whoever takes over will find a load of young talent( fr rfr and so). I still feel after this season the secondary dline and oline need some juco help.

The skill players on offense are set for a couple years. We have some good defensive fr and rfr. But they're not good enough yet and I don't really have the faith in Mussman to get them there. UND has always been about the hogs. The skill guys are exciting but let's get some big boys in there too. No reason we can't have both.

I agree with FSSD that firing Muss now doesn't do a whole lot of good. Recruiting is going to suffer regardless because hopefully our coach next year isn't in the program right now. So let Muss and the assistants finish out the year. It's going to be rough. With some luck and growth throughout the year, they could eek out 7 wins and squeek into the expanded playoff field before being destroyed. There are a lot of injuries that definitely played a role. The biggest thing I noticed on Saturday was our secondary just let everyone run by them. That's not coaching, that's horrible DBs.I don't think Muss is the guy. I expected Faison to open up the checkbook for the next coach, as he has done for new coaches post-transition. I hope they finish with 6 wins but at the same time, if they do that then Muss may be back next year. Right now, I just want a win at Idaho State when I'm there in person.
  • Upvote 1

The sobering fact is there is not much that can be done by dismissing a coach now, everybody worth hiring is coaching their own team and won't (more likely can't) leave until their season is over. You can turn the program over to one of the assistants on an interim basis and that might put some urgency and fear into the players, but the players and playbook will remain the same, and probably the results too.

Coming into the season the sentiment on here seemed to be that 2013 would be the year of decision for Mussman with 7 home games and 3 good years of recruiting, and that seemed fair. If it plays out like many fear and UND is only able to win a few more games and is blown out a few times, then I think it would be wise of the UND brass to take a hard look at what they want to do, and make the move with one or two games left and get a jump on the next coach by letting the college football world know that "we're looking". I'm not sure when the "legal" date is that existing coaches can start talking to other teams about vacancies, but I've seen more than one coach take a new job and then coach his old team in a Bowl game, so it must be around the end of the regular season. I could probably find it in the NCAA rulebook, but looking through that manifesto gives me an aneurysm.

If UND is sitting at 3-6 or worse and most of those losses are lopsided, they're really going to have to consider making a move.

To call it half of a Great West title is a slap in the face of the players that busted their asses and never have up for that title. That 2011 team deserves respect, they won alot of games ugly.

They were co camps....so isn't it sorta technically half the title?

To call it half of a Great West title is a slap in the face of the players that busted their asses and never have up for that title. That 2011 team deserves respect, they won alot of games ugly.

They do deserve respect I was there at every game ans streamed away games. Even stayed at the USD.

On that note though, can you think of any coaching decision that might have helped then win that outright? Ill give you a hint, it was a quarter late and against cal poly.

They do deserve respect I was there at every game ans streamed away games. Even stayed at the USD.

On that note though, can you think of any coaching decision that might have helped then win that outright? Ill give you a hint, it was a quarter late and against cal poly.

Bradley should never have been brought in in the first place. That right there might have the worst of his decisions.

My views on Mussman not withstanding........there is no reason to think that UND will willingly eat a quarter of a million dollars to remove this football coach (not to mention staff with contracts) during or immediately after this season.

During the season...I agree.

Immediately after season...will be disappointed if that doesn't happen especially with the way things could potentially play out. To me 6-5. which I think is best case scerario, with this schedule of home games isn't good enough.

My views on Mussman not withstanding........there is no reason to think that UND will willingly eat a quarter of a million dollars to remove this football coach (not to mention staff with contracts) during or immediately after this season.

I'm not so sure a lot of money isn't going to be lost regardless, due to the very real question of what direction attendance may be heading not only for the rest of this season, but beyond.

• Upvote 1

During the season...I agree.

Immediately after season...will be disappointed if that doesn't happen especially with the way things could potentially play out. To me 6-5. which I think is best case scerario, with this schedule of home games isn't good enough.

It's going to be pretty sad when we go 3-4 at home. It's not unreasonable to think we may even go 1-6 at home this year.

Everyone needs to remember there are much, much more "average" football teams coming up on the schedule. Idaho State, Sac State, UNC, Davis, Portland State.

Those are all winnable games and we will not be blown out in any of them. It is quite obvious that UND is not ready for EWU and Montana. So that means UND is not a Top 10 team in the country - no sh*t.

I 100% understand that getting blown out is not acceptable. Lets just wait and see a couple more games against average teams, plus the game against EWU and see if there is any improvement, whatsoever. If not, by all means they deserve all the criticism they are getting and action by the AD.

There are still EIGHT games left in the season!

Everyone needs to remember there are much, much more "average" football teams coming up on the schedule. Idaho State, Sac State, UNC, Davis, Portland State.

Those are all winnable games and we will not be blown out in any of them. It is quite obvious that UND is not ready for EWU and Montana. So that means UND is not a Top 10 team in the country - no sh*t.

I 100% understand that getting blown out is not acceptable. Lets just wait and see a couple more games against average teams, plus the game against EWU and see if there is any improvement, whatsoever. If not, by all means they deserve all the criticism they are getting and action by the AD.

I think we should stop all the Fire Muss bull$%!# and understand that we are not a top 10 team...as much as we wanted to believe our transition was going to be as good or even better than the bison, its not! Get over it! We will get our butts kicked in the next two and we need to win the rest of the games to keep these guys on the team from mutiny. The fans are not going to show up because the football program is not yet the Hockey program - 7 National Championships and multiple all star players in the pros allows the hockey crowd to walk around with a lot of pride even though they haven't won a NC in a decade or more. Get over it! Win the big games and they will come, lose and you get what you get! Give respect to the herd terds and start to do what they are doing because they are winning games and getting respect nationwide...Suck it up and move on. Having expectations that we are going to rival our in-state sister college who have back to back National Championships is admirable, but pretty stupid in terms of realistic goals for a team with two freshmen QBs and a porous defense! I hate the bison, but you can't hate the results and we'll get there, but its not likely to happen on the same schedule as our sisters to the South....Move on...Set realistic goals for the rest of the season and show the team that we aren't a bunch a whiney sore losers. The Sioux football team isn't going down like a bunch of punks and hopefully the fans won't make it any easier to punk out!

• Upvote 2

Those might be winnable games, but they don't get us anywhere either. Valpo was won, and a lot of good that did us. If we can't compete against the big boys, we may as well stay home. Any team not good enough to at least make the playoffs is not good enough. We need to make serious noise in the BSC, not be a doormat for the Big Three.

I think we need to make a statement NOW so the recruits know it won't be business as usual next year. Start replacing people, starting with Muss.

Those might be winnable games, but they don't get us anywhere either. Valpo was won, and a lot of good that did us. If we can't compete against the big boys, we may as well stay home. Any team not good enough to at least make the playoffs is not good enough. We need to make serious noise in the BSC, not be a doormat for the Big Three.

I think we need to make a statement NOW so the recruits know it won't be business as usual next year. Start replacing people, starting with Muss.

Well, I got news for you: we aren't beating the big boys. So we might as well focus on trying to beat teams 4-13 in the Big Sky because 1-3 are too good. Then once they start beating the teams they should, that is when they can jump up and try to pick somebody off.

I think we should stop all the Fire Muss bull$%!# and understand that we are not a top 10 team...as much as we wanted to believe our transition was going to be as good or even better than the bison, its not! Get over it! We will get our butts kicked in the next two and we need to win the rest of the games to keep these guys on the team from mutiny. The fans are not going to show up because the football program is not yet the Hockey program - 7 National Championships and multiple all star players in the pros allows the hockey crowd to walk around with a lot of pride even though they haven't won a NC in a decade or more. Get over it! Win the big games and they will come, lose and you get what you get!

Perhaps you should ask yourself why we are not a top 10 team. If you feel the guys on the team are close to mutiny, why are you against calling for Muss to be fired?

Well, I got news for you: we aren't beating the big boys. So we might as well focus on trying to beat teams 4-13 in the Big Sky because 1-3 are too good. Then once they start beating the teams they should, that is when they can jump up and try to pick somebody off.

I guess it will be okay for EWU and the Bobcats to run UND out of their own building then. After Saturdays debacle I don't see any "should beat" teams on the schedule.

MSU is the vulnerable team out of the top 3. That game is next. We can actually win that one since they don't have their qb and didn't look so hot vs a d2 team.

Their back-up QB got rave reviews after throwing for 300+ last weekend. "Vulnerable" is a big stretch.

• Upvote 1