SiouxSports.com Forum

Idaho

darell1976

So after our 16-0 win over Drake...lets turn to our next opponent FBS Idaho. Last year we lost 45-0. After seeing our defense stop drake from scoring in the redzone twice and seeing our offense not turnover the ball whats our chances to get our first FBS win?

+ no turnovers

+ stop the pass

+ penalties

I think these 3 are key for us to win the game.

Final score 35-31 UND!!!

So after our 16-0 win over Drake...lets turn to our next opponent FBS Idaho. Last year we lost 45-0. After seeing our defense stop drake from scoring in the redzone twice and seeing our offense not turnover the ball whats our chances to get our first FBS win?

+ no turnovers

+ stop the pass

+ penalties

Final score 35-31 UND!!!

I watched part of the BD/ID game last nite and they are definitely not the team they were last year. That said we will still have to play a nearly perfect game with no effing stupid penalties; I guess in that regard we can only get better lol. Nearly 100 yards in penalties is like shooting yourself in both feet.

I watched part of the BD/ID game last nite and they are definitely not the team they were last year. That said we will still have to play a nearly perfect game with no effing stupid penalties; I guess in that regard we can only get better lol. Nearly 100 yards in penalties is like shooting yourself in both feet.

Holding calls are the killer of penalties on offense. On the Idaho message boards fans are still livid about losing to BG. They blame abandoning the run, and just airing out the ball. If our pass defense gives up 5+ yards per play like they did on Drake it could get ugly. I agree Muss needs a perfect game!!

+ no turnovers

+ stop the pass

+ penalties

Final score 35-31 UND!!!

Now way UND wins if the score gets this high. UND must keep the score low with defense and score when opportunities arise. UND offense is not prolific enough. Need to keep it to something like 17-14 etc. and hope for the best by keeping the ball on offense and away from Idaho. Still I predict a loss of 21-16.

I have to say after watching last night's game I think we will lose this one, although Idaho didn't look very good either against BGSU. I thought our defense showed signs of great improvement but our low scoring offense left much to be desired. But it's early and there's a lot of football left to be played and plenty of time for improvements through out the season. I think if we win against Idaho it will be because of our defense and kicker IMO.

I don't know what to think about the Idaho game. They lost about half of their starters from last season, including their QB who was drafted into the NFL. His replacement really struggled last night. They lost rather handily to Bowling Green, which finished the 2010 season with a 2-10 record. The Vandals couldn't run the ball worth a hoot against Bowling Green, and they really couldn't (or didn't) run much all last season. Given what I've seen from UND last night and the last couple seasons, I'm confident that Idaho won't have a huge amount of success running the ball against our defense. But then again, maybe they don't care to.....................If the Sioux can be adequate in stopping the Vandals passing game, and not turn the ball over on offense, then they have a chance. I'm not going to predict a win, but I think it is highly unlikely that the result will be anything close to what it was last year.

Not to point fingers (meaning "stand by, here it comes"), but ... Catlin Solum needs to stop taking penalties on the opponent's side of mid-field: Two different drive stoppers when I thought the offense was on the way to sticking the dagger in.

On one of his penalties it was just a cut block, I am not up on any rule changes but I do know that block used to be legal in college football. On another they called him for holding and I looked at the play several times and couldn't figure out why the officials thought he was holding. I agree that UND needs to quickly correct the sloppy play and stupid penalties, but I think Solum did have at least one bad call go against him.

On one of his penalties it was just a cut block, I am not up on any rule changes but I do know that block used to be legal in college football. On another they called him for holding and I looked at the play several times and couldn't figure out why the officials thought he was holding. I agree that UND needs to quickly correct the sloppy play and stupid penalties, but I think Solum did have at least one bad call go against him.

There is a new rule now in college football that makes it illegal to come across the ball and cut block. So for instance, one of our bread and butter plays has always been the inside zone "swipe" play where the fullback starts on one side of the formation and comes across to the other side after the snap to block the backside DE or OLB. To change things up a bit and slow down the defender, every now and then the FB used to throw a cut block to keep him honest and slow him down.

Thanks to the NC$$, that is no longer an option. Ruining the college football game once again.

Unfortunately, I believe that is one of the penalties that Solum was called for.

There is a new rule now in college football that makes it illegal to come across the ball and cut block. So for instance, one of our bread and butter plays has always been the inside zone "swipe" play where the fullback starts on one side of the formation and comes across to the other side after the snap to block the backside DE or OLB. To change things up a bit and slow down the defender, every now and then the FB used to throw a cut block to keep him honest and slow him down.

Thanks to the NC$$, that is no longer an option. Ruining the college football game once again.

Unfortunately, I believe that is one of the penalties that Solum was called for.

That is exactly what happened on one of the penalties, I still think other wasn't a hold though.

An FBS win is what this program needs, I think they have a chance to get it against Idaho, but it will take a near perfect game and some taking chances by the Offense. Idaho just got beat handily by a very bad team, they will be pissed, if UND can get on them early, the crowd will be out of it (not that the Kibbie Dome is very intimidating) and the players will start doubting.

I don't see the Sioux beating Idaho after the way they looked last week, but I think they are perfectly capable of keeping it a close game.

My key factors:

~Penalties....if our offensive line can't get rid of the false starts its going to be a long day in Russia...(Moscow...hah...not funny). Third and manageable...not third and fifteen.

~The running game.....Keep the clock running....keep our defense off the field....keep the chains moving....Sutton, Miller, Garman need to be huge.

~Physicality. Last year we got bullied and pushed around, and were made to look like the little sisters of the poor. I would like to see the Sioux try and be the more physical team.

If they can follow those I think they'll be okay. Baby steps.....baby steps....

+ no turnovers

+ stop the pass

+ penalties

Final score 35-31 UND!!!

While I think UND should be able to keep it relatively close (no 45-0 this year), I don't share your optimism about winning and/or scoring 35. I guess I don't see the offense I watched score 16 against Drake put up 35, unless it's against Black Hills State. That being said, I hope I'm wrong, as an FBS win would be a HUGE step for this program.

An FBS win is what this program needs, I think they have a chance to get it against Idaho, but it will take a near perfect game and some taking chances by the Offense. Idaho just got beat handily by a very bad team, they will be pissed, if UND can get on them early, the crowd will be out of it (not that the Kibbie Dome is very intimidating) and the players will start doubting.

You won't get a much better shot at an FBS win than this one. They just lost to a very bad MAC team. Idaho would be 14 point dogs to any top 10 FCS team. Or at least should be.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1