SiouxSports.com Forum

coaches

siouxfbfan

Weird or just looking out for themselves? Another poor year and Muss might be on the outside looking in. Might be real hard to replace them with good quality coaches.

Thanks for the concern Dan.

Coach Breitbach did some good things recruiting this last season. Brought in the top ranked QB out of Oregon. Had some good ties to that part of the country being from Montana. Best of luck to him in the new role.

BREITBACH LOOKING FOR A HEAD JOB

Millersville, Pa. - Millersville University is inviting faculty, staff, alumni and members of the community to attend open forums with six candidates for the head football coach position.

Each candidate will meet with the public for one hour in the Student Memorial Center during his on-campus interview. The search committee narrowed the search to six candidates after reviewing more than 60 applications.

The candidates are (in alphabetical order): Greg Breitbach, offensive coordinator, University of North Dakota; James Clements, head coach, Delaware Valley College; Robert Forgrave, defensive coordinator, East Stroudsburg University; Adam Gonzaga, defensive coordinator, Ohio Northern University, James Morgan, running backs coach/recruiting coordinator, Shippensburg University; and David Taynor, head coach, Urbana University. Open forum dates, times and locations as well as more information on each candidate is listed below.

At the conclusion of the on-campus interviews, the search committee will recommend to Dr. Aminta Breaux, Vice President of Student Affairs, an unranked list of three finalists for hiring consideration.

Interestingly... the same site said former UM coach Tim Brewster was signed as TE end coach at Florida State for $290,000.

Congrats to coach. Just heard about this...Looking at the list of Canidates you wonder why his name was on this list?

Usually OC move up to HC positions at the same level....to drop down seems awful strange to me. Especially looking at the list of canidates.

Anyone else think this is strange??

Not strange at all. He is a young guy who has only been a coordinator for a few years. To take over an established D2 program as your first head coaching job is pretty normal, IMO.

I can't recall many FCS coordinators, especially one's right out of the transition, that became FCS Head Coaches. The only examples I can think of are in-house promotions.

if there is any wonder as to why UND is sputtering, just look at the makeup of the coaching staff and how many former players are coaches. it seems like if someone leaves they look to a former player player to be a coach. how many of the top programs in the country at either the fbs or fcs level have staffs full of former players. this is truly the good 'ol boys network, they don't even bother to do a some searching.

• Upvote 2

Been thinking about Breitbach leaving for a random D2 school on the east coast. Does he have family there I wonder? It seems like a move down, as others have mentioned. Whether it is, or isn't, it kind of seems like it is a man looking for ANY way out of the current situation, and taking the first thing that pops up, instead of waiting for the right job. Total speculation of course, but seems like maybe he wanted out of UND, anyone agree?

Been thinking about Breitbach leaving for a random D2 school on the east coast. Does he have family there I wonder? It seems like a move down, as others have mentioned. Whether it is, or isn't, it kind of seems like it is a man looking for ANY way out of the current situation, and taking the first thing that pops up, instead of waiting for the right job. Total speculation of course, but seems like maybe he wanted out of UND, anyone agree?

Maybe a school finally gave him a shot at head coaching instead of being just an assistant.

The thought definitely crossed my mind. It's quite evident, especially after last season, that many fans and alumni are skeptical of Mussman's head coaching ability, so it certainly is possible Breitbach had some similar thoughts and/or concerns. Of course, Breitbach may have just wanted to be a head coach.

In regards to UND's continual in-house promotions, I'm fine with it if it works. From the outside looking in, it always seemed strange to me that they would only hire in-house guys and then assign them to positions they aren't familiar with. Like Joel Schwenzfeir, who played safety, is now the running backs coach. And last year, a former QB was coaching the RBs so no wonder the team couldn’t run the ball last year! And, of course, both of the current coordinators were position coaches last years (Kotelnicki was STs I guess) and now they have been IN-HOUSE PROMOTED to crucial coordinator spots.

However, if the team improves then I have no issue with it.

I know for a fact he was very happy at Und. I also know he has always wanted to be a head coach. Do I think he could have done better? Yes. At the end of the day he's a 'grown ass man' and he made a hard decision. I hope it works out for him, he's a great guy and deserves it.

The thought definitely crossed my mind. It's quite evident, especially after last season, that many fans and alumni are skeptical of Mussman's head coaching ability, so it certainly is possible Breitbach had some similar thoughts and/or concerns. Of course, Breitbach may have just wanted to be a head coach.

In regards to UND's continual in-house promotions, I'm fine with it if it works. From the outside looking in, it always seemed strange to me that they would only hire in-house guys and then assign them to positions they aren't familiar with. Like Joel Schwenzfeir, who played safety, is now the running backs coach. And last year, a former QB was coaching the RBs so no wonder the team couldn’t run the ball last year! And, of course, both of the current coordinators were position coaches last years (Kotelnicki was STs I guess) and now they have been IN-HOUSE PROMOTED to crucial coordinator spots.

http://www.marshallindependent.com/page/content.detail/id/515777.html

For those who don't remember, he was 1 of the 2 considered for the SMSU job when it was opened in 2010. SMSU went with Sauter, who was the interm. I take it as just wanted to be a head coach. Gotta start somewhere.

I bet Joel has played rb before. It's not a hard position to coach. If you look at the resume of any young coach it's often riddled with coaching a position they didn't play. You don't have to have played a position to be able to coach it.

Folks, Breitbach left because he had a desire to become a head coach. He's applied for other jobs in the past. Mannassau left because of a great opportunity that he was well suited to him and that will allow him to spend more time at home with family.

Mussman came close to leaving when he was OC 7 years ago for the Mankato head job. Dale Lennon left his DC post to be a head coach at UMARY. This is what those that have chosen the coaching profession do: try to move up in the ranks.

I'm quite excited about the new coordinators. Kotelnicki has coordinator experience at the DII level and has been an assistant at an FBS program. Schleusner has been "passing game coordinator" (whatever that is) at both the DII and DI level. I think both are rising stars in the football coaching profession. Especially Kotelnicki. I don't expect him to be here much longer. He has bigger fish to fry..................

As long as the coaches feel they are qualified and they are the right fit. I am fine with them highering UND grads. In the last couple of seasons they have hired outside also - Wes Nurse, Benny Boyd and Kyle Myers. I think that it is a nice mix. I am really looking forward to seeing what Nurse and Boyd can do with the secondary this year.

Having worked closely with several of the coaches, I always thought the stars of the staff were Kotelnicki, Schleusner, Freund, and Benny Boyd. I was never all that thrilled with Mannausau as a coach because I thought he was too passive. I could tell Breitbach was a smart guy but I didn't see the fire for UND that I see in the Kotelnicki, Luke, Danny, and Benny. I'm glad those guys are being rewarded with promotions because I hope they stick around as long as possible.

As long as the coaches feel they are qualified and they are the right fit. I am fine with them higher UND grads. In the last couple of seasons they have hired outside also - Wes Nurse, Benny Boyd and Kyle Myers. I think that it is a nice mix. I am really looking forward to seeing what Nurse and Boyd can do with the secondary this year.

Nurse and Boyd just need the athletes to work with and they'll do wonders.

Nurse and Boyd just need the athletes to work with and they'll do wonders.

I agree.. I noticed that Nurse came from Cal Davis and they had a nice secondary the last couple of years. I was hoping to see Nurse pull in a couple of DBs from the west coast this year and the start of building up the secondary at UND. None the less, I am looking forward to seeing him work with the guys.

• 3 weeks later...

Weird or just looking out for themselves? Another poor year and Muss might be on the outside looking in. Might be real hard to replace them with good quality coaches.

If they don't have a strong recruiting class AND solid season, Muss and staff will more than likely be out.

If they don't have a strong recruiting class AND solid season, Muss and staff will more than likely be out.

Pretty bold statement. What is defined as a solid season and who is defining it? And how can you judge a recruiting class? Especially since a)they aren't signed until February and b)most of them won't see the field for 2-3 years.

I think it would take a pretty big disaster of a year (winning a handful of games at most) for Mussman to get fired.

I think Muss deserves to show us what he can do with non-transition recruiting classes. Guys like Mollberg, Edwards, Golloday, Robertson, Stockwell, and Carr are guys we didn't have a chance at during the transition. Now that Muss is playing with a full deck I want to see what he can do. Starting with a freshman quarterback isn't ideal so I won't be calling for his head if he simply matches last year's record but I want to see steady improvement throughout the Mollberg/Bartels era. IMO he has until this year's redshirt freshman graduate to get to the top of the Big Sky and to the point where we are regularly in the playoffs. If we're still a middling Big Sky team at that point, then we make a change.

• Upvote 1