SiouxSports.com Forum

coaches

siouxfbfan

Not to mention UND played a much better MAC team in Northern Illinois, who went 11-3 and won their bowl game the year UND played them. Too bad UND didn't win though, had it at the end and couldn't convert to Hardin on a post that was wide open. Lost 23-17.

I agree UND should have won that game. I think the refs screwed them when a TD wasn't called at the goalline. Oh well we will get an FBS win...2014 I think is Bowling Green so maybe our Sophomore QB's can lead us to that win.

Unless any of the coaches move somewhere else on their own, they will be back next year. If they were going to be let go, it would have happened in the weeks following the season not after recruiting is completed. I see no changes happening with the staff.

To paraphrase Albert Einstein, you can't expect different results when you keep doing the same thing.

Looks like nothing is changing for next year. GRRRRRRRRRR

To paraphrase Albert Einstein, you can't expect different results when you keep doing the same thing.

Disappointing...this program is more short on talent from a coaching perspective than from a player perspective IMO.

Disappointing...this program is more short on talent from a coaching perspective than from a player perspective IMO.

Seemed like the offense improved quite alot from 2011 to 2012, without any coaching changes..............................

Seemed like the offense improved quite alot from 2011 to 2012, without any coaching changes..............................

The program certainly didn't improve in my opinion - Having a 5th year senior quarterback with BCS credentials transfer in didn't hurt things either. Still a very frustrating season.

The program certainly didn't improve in my opinion - Having a 5th year senior quarterback with BCS credentials transfer in didn't hurt things either. Still a very frustrating season.

All I'm saying is that the coaching staff corrected a glaring deficiency and turned the offense around in one year's time. Who's to say they won't do it again on the defensive side of the ball during this off-season?

I agree, it was a frustrating, and disappointing season....................

• Upvote 1

All I'm saying is that the coaching staff corrected a glaring deficiency and turned the offense around in one year's time. Who's to say they won't do it again on the defensive side of the ball during this off-season?

For those that will try and refute this by saying its only because of Braden Hansen are conveniently forgetting what Marcus Hendricksen did too.

• Upvote 2

Who's to say things won't revert back to the 2011 offense and keep the 2012 defense? Just saying that changes have to be made to see changes.

Who's to say things won't revert back to the 2011 offense and keep the 2012 defense? Just saying that changes have to be made to see changes.

That would be disastrous for the team. Giving up major points while hardly scoring any. Every game would look like our EWU or MSU games of 2012. But I have confidence that, that won't happen. I think after our game with Valpo we will see where this team will lead us. If we can only score 7-20 points on offense we are in trouble, likewise if we give up more than 20 points to Valpo. Lets just see how things are in the offseason with the spring game and gaining recruits before hacking all the coaches. IMO I thought the DC would be the first one gone after the UNC game. Our defense was crap. Couldn't tackle if they were playing Grand Forks Central.

Me, too! Mark it down.

If there are no philosophical/scheme changes defensively, equaling this past season's record will be a stretch. I'm sure we will take some step back offensively for a couple games until our RS Fr. QB finds his groove. The first few games minus Valpo are a tough stretch...hold your breath.

If there are no philosophical/scheme changes defensively, equaling this past season's record will be a stretch.

I do agree that we may take a small step backwards offensively right away, given the youth and inexperience at the QB spot. I'm hoping we grow out of that by the midway point or so however.

While there may or may not have been some philosophical/scheme issues, is it your opinion that the players performed to their potential and didn't have any mental or execution breakdowns on the field? And is it your opinion that they wont get smarter/better as players and a defense this year?

Just curious.

For those that will try and refute this by saying its only because of Braden Hansen are conveniently forgetting what Marcus Hendricksen did too.

Agreed that our passing game made significant improvements last year - not just at QB but at receiver. Marcus did a great job also. Even so, without Hansen I believe we would have had at least one more loss (Montana) putting us at a minimum of 4-7 with one win a DII. The running game - not so much improvement.

The big question is are we going to have more upgrades like the passing game next year or more downgrades like the defense. Muss has shown that he can recruit quality DI athletes like the wide receivers, but boy do we need to do this across the board. I'm hopeful that he can come through all across the board, but am a little worried also.

... without Hansen I believe we would have had at least one more loss (Montana) putting us at a minimum of 4-7 with one win a DII. ...

or ........ maybe there would have been one more victory - Northern Colorado for a 6 - 5 season.

Hendrickson was impressive when he was on the field.

or ........ maybe there would have been one more victory - Northern Colorado for a 6 - 5 season.

Hendrickson was impressive when he was on the field.

I'm not buying the theory that we would have had more wins with Marcus at quarterback all season - That's a big stretch.

I'm not buying the theory that we would have had more wins with Marcus at quarterback all season - That's a big stretch.

Its too bad we only had one season to figure out which QB is better Hanson or Hendrickson. I do hope we see another QB like Hanson again. On the other hand Hendrickson did do well when he was out there.

I do agree that we may take a small step backwards offensively right away, given the youth and inexperience at the QB spot. I'm hoping we grow out of that by the midway point or so however.

While there may or may not have been some philosophical/scheme issues, is it your opinion that the players performed to their potential and didn't have any mental or execution breakdowns on the field? And is it your opinion that they wont get smarter/better as players and a defense this year?

Just curious.

We didn't tackle better than a Pop Warner team...put that on who you want.

I watched game after game, with our D playing 2 deep safeties with our corners 10-12 yards off the ball. Any team that could play basic pitch and catch shredded us. Any team that could get the edge running the ball killed us.

There were obviously some weak links on D...not to call anyone out, but as a coach you have to scheme to make the most of the talent you have and on the defensive side of the ball, even though we didn't have 'SU talent, we had IMO better talent than what our D produced. I put more of that on the coaching than the kids.

I watched game after game, with our D playing 2 deep safeties with our corners 10-12 yards off the ball. Any team that could play basic pitch and catch shredded us. Any team that could get the edge running the ball killed us.

There were obviously some weak links on D...not to call anyone out, but as a coach you have to scheme to make the most of the talent you have and on the defensive side of the ball, even though we didn't have 'SU talent, we had IMO better talent than what our D produced. I put more of that on the coaching than the kids.

This does need to change quickly...

Ok, I'll give you tackling and corner alignment and put it on coaching. Been driving me nuts too.

But my question was/is: do you think we will get better with talent, football IQ and assignment execution from a pure player standpoint next year as compared to this year? In your opinion?

Ok, I'll give you tackling and corner alignment and put it on coaching. Been driving me nuts too.

But my question was/is: do you think we will get better with talent, football IQ and assignment execution from a pure player standpoint next year as compared to this year? In your opinion?

Better talent generally translates into all those mentioned above...to some extent. I watched the Sugar Bowl last night...Florida had sick talent on D but little FB IQ and execution from what I saw. Now was that a player issue or coaching issue??? If UND brings in or has better talent next year I don't think that automatically translates into a better defense.

That is a very good question. The following refers to the defense but probably could apply to the offense other than the WR position.

• Will the returning players who saw the field a lot last year improve? I would assume they will to some degree but enough to make a real difference - who knows! Obviously, some of them will be healthier which should help!
  • A lot has been said about the quality of the last couple of recruiting classes. I certainly hope that is fact but no freshmen stood out this last year and we didn't feel anyone was worthy of pulling their redshirt of the first year players. (That said - it sure appears that Edwards may be very good).
  • Obviously, a couple of talented JC players or transfers could help a lot.
  • Regarding the coaching, I would have thought we could have made adjustments this past year to address some of our shortcomings and we may have been somewhat better later in the season. It is a given that the coaching staff knows that improvement is necessary, feels the "pressure" and is working to address this challenge. Hopefully, they will be able to do so.

None of the above is meant to be negative - just my observation. Lots of defensive question marks!

Better talent generally translates into all those mentioned above...to some extent. I watched the Sugar Bowl last night...Florida had sick talent on D but little FB IQ and execution from what I saw. Now was that a player issue or coaching issue??? If UND brings in or has better talent next year I don't think that automatically translates into a better defense.

Right, so how much of football IQ is innate or can actually be coached? How about comprehension of schemes and execution of assignments? Tackling?

This 2012 defensive staff is the pretty much the same as it was in 2011. The 2011 defense was pretty good comparatively speaking. Did the defensive staff get dumber in one year or did the players have 'issues'?

I guess I'll answer my own question by saying yes, I do believe the players will get smarter, more talented and execute better in 2013 on defense.

I hope I'm right.