SiouxSports.com Forum

Miller draft

bigskyvikes

Don't know if anyone else caught this, but when Miller was announced to being drafted from the Rangers, the announcers said "I would be surprised if the Rangers let him go to the U of North Dakota and not make him go to the Canadian hockey program"!!

Can this be possible? Or is he a lock to the Fighting Sioux?

Don't know if anyone else caught this, but when Miller was announced to being drafted from the Rangers, the announcers said "I would be surprised if the Rangers let him go to the U of North Dakota and not make him go to the Canadian hockey program"!!

It's all BS speculation by announcers that don't know crap about college hockey. They don't understand that UND, in terms of NHL development, is a farm.... we breed successful pros. The Rangers have two players from Wisconsin (Stepan, McDonaugh) on their roster now so that tells me, and should tell announcers too, frankly, that the Rangers consider the NCAA a good way to develop their players. I wouldn't worry about J.T. going anywhere.... at least until after this coming season when, if he continue to develop (which he will with the Sioux), he'll have a shot at making the Ranger roster. In the meantime, I can't wait to see Miller don the Green and Black and eventually wear Broadway Blue!

If it was Pierre McGuire, he's apparently now on the payroll of Hockey Canada despite now working for NBC. So,, Pierre McGuire is of the same mindset as Bruce Sutter in that the only types of players that go the NCAA route are the "pleasant surprises" at the NHL level.

His opinions should be taken with a grain of salt. But that's no surprise.

He's one of the commentators that instantly pop a stiffie every time Sidney Crosby gets within 2 square miles of his location.

If it was Pierre McGuire, he's apparently now on the payroll of Hockey Canada despite now working for NBC. So,, Pierre McGuire is of the same mindset as Bruce Sutter in that the only types of players that go the NCAA route are the "pleasant surprises" at the NHL level.

His opinions should be taken with a grain of salt. But that's no surprise.

He's one of the commentators that instantly pop a stiffie every time Sidney Crosby gets within 2 square miles of his location.

Pierre McGuire has proven to be a buffoon self professed Division I hockey antagonist; for what ever reason, I guess he forgets that he is an American born in New Jersey that couldn't make it to the Division I level, he played in Division III. I cant figure out if he was playing up to the CHL/Canadians fans or what? Both routes have their advantages. McGuire also was a coach in the American College Hockey ranks as well.

Edited by Goon

It really surprises me that McGuire said that Miller should play in the OHL. During last year's draft he pretty much turned it into a UND tribute show. When Forbort got drafted he said "that's the perfect place for that young man to go. When Nelson got drafted he said "I'm so glad he's going to North Dakota, that's a tremendous hockey institution, that's the place to go if you want to learn to be a hockey player." So now he's pretty much contradicting himself. There's a reason why 99.9 % of hockey fans can't stand him.

I guess I don't recall him saying Miller should go to the OHL. I just remember it being said that he was committed to North Dakota, but also that his rights were owned by Plymouth of the OHL and that it'd be interesting to see what he would do. Maybe I missed something. I was at the draft so maybe I missed it when I re-watched the replay on the NHL network.

I guess I don't recall him saying Miller should go to the OHL. I just remember it being said that he was committed to North Dakota, but also that his rights were owned by Plymouth of the OHL and that it'd be interesting to see what he would do. Maybe I missed something. I was at the draft so maybe I missed it when I re-watched the replay on the NHL network.

I was there too, I didn't watch the replay on NHL Network. I was sitting by runninwiththedogs and she had gotten a text from a friend saying that McGuire had said Miller should go to the OHL. Maybe everyone just misunderstood him.

What he said was "He is committed to UND, but I will be surprised if the Rangers let him do that and not have him in the Canadian league" Heard it, rewound it on my DVR and than all of us watching this yelled at the T.V. Now as far as who said it, I don't know, just know it was said by one of the two on T.V.

What he said was "He is committed to UND, but I will be surprised if the Rangers let him do that and not have him in the Canadian league" Heard it, rewound it on my DVR and than all of us watching this yelled at the T.V. Now as far as who said it, I don't know, just know it was said by one of the two on T.V.

They did the same garbage with Dylan Olsen (who should have listened, but not for their reasons) and Jaden Schwartz (yeah, he's gonna give up playing on the same team as his brother). And others, but I don't specifically recall. They act like these guys are just setting for college and their first round status makes them somehow worthy of the vaunted CHL. Sometimes they are right, like with John Moore, but it's just CHL tongue-bathing propaganda, not inside knowledge.

I hope to see his surprised face the first time Miller suits up for UND.

They did the same garbage with Dylan Olsen (who should have listened, but not for their reasons) and Jaden Schwartz (yeah, he's gonna give up playing on the same team as his brother). And others, but I don't specifically recall. They act like these guys are just setting for college and their first round status makes them somehow worthy of the vaunted CHL. Sometimes they are right, like with John Moore, but it's just CHL tongue-bathing propaganda, not inside knowledge.

I was thinking about this earlier since I can't do anything else since the apt maintenance dude said he'd be by anywhere from 9:30-4:30 to fix my toilet so I can't leave, but I digress. I was thinking that it makes sense for these guys to be pro-CHL and come across like they do because particularly during the 1st round, I believe that was the TSN feed. It makes sense that they say these guys could go CHL to give their viewers in Canada a bite because what do Canadians care about college hockey? But I only saw the replay on the NHL network and that was the TSN feed so I have no idea what was shown on Versus live. The second round was the NHL network feed and came across more pro-college hockey.

• 2 weeks later...

People say I am paranoid, but looks like this paranoia was accurate again, JT Miller is gone! What a crock!!

Yeah this is a pretty big story. Such big news that it would have it's own headline here at SS or at USCHO. One problem, I cannot find anything a link, an article, anything anywhere but in the forums that he has signed. Is there a link?

Thanks!

Yeah this is a pretty big story. Such big news that it would have it's own headline here at SS or at USCHO. One problem, I cannot find anything a link, an article, anything anywhere but in the forums that he has signed. Is there a link?

Thanks!

He hasn't signed yet, but Hakstol has confirmed that he will not be coming to UND.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/209814/