SiouxSports.com Forum

Miller draft

bigskyvikes

JT Miller is a piece of !@#$....to leave the coaches hanging two and a half months before the season starts and to bail is ridiculous. I wish him nothing but the worst in the OHL

Seriously? I am disappointed too, but that's pretty harsh.

Look, imagine this conversation at the evaluation camp:

"Kid, you might be NHL ready this year. How about if I write you a check for $350k to sign and you give up your commitment to UND. We'll most likely assign you to Plymouth of the OHL due to the NHL's agreement with the CHL, but you never know. You might make the Rangers out of camp. Either way, We'll max out your signing bonus. You will either play in the O for a few hundred bucks a game or you will play in Madison Square Garden for $11,000 per game. "

"Kid, you might be NHL ready this year. How about if I write you a check for $350k to sign and you give up your commitment to UND. We'll most likely assign you to Plymouth of the OHL due to the NHL's agreement with the CHL, but you never know. You might make the Rangers out of camp. Either way, We'll max out your signing bonus. You will either play in the O for a few hundred bucks a game or you will play in Madison Square Garden for $11,000 per game. "

That could very well be what he heard. It would be very hard to turn that down. College hockey is at a tremendous disadvantage when it comes to top talent. I don't blame the kid, but the system. Th NHL is in bed with Major Juniors. College Hockey Inc., fix this!

(Somehow)

Not quite sure where to put this - feel free to move this if appropriate.

I just read Ryan S. Clark's "Slightly Chilled" blog and this was very interesting to me. Garrett Haar of the Fargo Force was drafted by the Washington Capitals. He has decommitted from Northeastern since Northeastern's head coach stepped down and took an assistant job with the Maple Leafs.

Haar recently went to the Capital's development camp and impressed Washington's GM, George McPhee. McPhee then states that he wants Haar to play college next year and to not return to the USHL. So far, this all makes sense to me.

This is very similar to Miller's deal. He commits to UND while Plymouth drafts him. The Rangers brass tells him they would like him to play in the OHL with Plymouth, so he is apparently going there. In this scenario you have Miller committing to UND, Plymouth drafting him knowing he may very well not go there, and the Rangers talking to Miller about going to Plymouth. Miller decides to go to Plymouth.

Back to Haar...here's where I'm confused (and it shouldn't surprise me, as the way rules are interpreted and carried out with the NCAA never seem consistent). Haar impresses McPhee and McPhee wants him to play in college this year. I get that. But Haar doesn't have a commitment anywhere right now, so McPhee calls Jerry York (his old college coach at Bowling Green) at BC to try get Haar a full ride for next year.

I could see McPhee telling Haar they'd like him to play college next year, and leave it up to Haar to work on getting that done, but you're telling me a GM of an NHL team can call a college coach and try to get one of their draftees a full ride?

Does that seem "illegal" (in NCAA terms/rules) to anyone else besides me - or am I going crazy?

[url=http://slightlychilled.areavoices.com/?p=740]Fly Like An Eagle

I could see McPhee telling Haar they'd like him to play college next year, and leave it up to Haar to work on getting that done, but you're telling me a GM of an NHL team can call a college coach and try to get one of their draftees a full ride?

Does that seem "illegal" (in NCAA terms/rules) to anyone else besides me - or am I going crazy?

How's that any different from me walking up to a UND coach and saying "There's this kid you really need to take a look at."

How's that any different from me walking up to a UND coach and saying "There's this kid you really need to take a look at."

You mean other than the fact that you're not an NHL GM and you haven't drafted this kid in the NHL draft? Umm...not sure.

"And oh kid, by the way, no dealing with liberal professors that tell you how insulting it is you will be making millions when they are educating America's future for a fraction of that. School? Nope, just play hockey..."

Commitments seem to be meaningless this year more than others, among all college teams. I don't doubt players like Toews, Parise, and Oshie had the same sort of conversations, but chose to honor their college commitments. Speaks highly to character, if nothing else.

Just ask Anthony Grieco how the OHL route worked out for him and the fast track to the NHL.

Season Team Lge GP A PIM Min GA EN SO GAA W L T Svs Pct GP A PIM

2005-06 Wellington Dukes OPJHL 26 0 10

2006-07 U. of North Dakota WCHA 8 0 0 378 22 0 0 3.49 3 2 1 168 0.884

2007-08 Mississauga St. Michael's Majors OHL 25 0 18 1276 85 2 0 4.00 5 10 3 639 0.883 - - -

2008-09 Victoria Grizzlies BCHL 40 0 9 2305 97 0 2 2.53 27 11 0 921 0.905 - - -

2009-10 U. of Western Ontario CIS 13 0 0

2010-11 U. of Western Ontario CIS 15 0 2 889 38 0 1 2.57 12 3 0 441 0.921

I believe Brad Schlossman posted a while back that he signed to play somewhere in Europe for the upcoming year.