SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

There will be a committee of people who ultimately make the final decision, not a single individual, and they will get input from all viewpoints (alumni/students/faculty/etc).

But how much influence will Kelley have in that decision. Hopefully the committee will tell him to butt out.

But how much influence will Kelley have in that decision. Hopefully the committee will tell him to butt out.

Guessing his opinions and insight will be heard, as they should be, along with all the others on the committee. Maybe you can start a "Fire Kelley" thread to get him removed before the process if it makes you feel better.

• Upvote 1

Guessing his opinions and insight will be heard, as they should be, along with all the others on the committee. Maybe you can start a "Fire Kelley" thread to get him removed before the process if it makes you feel better.

People have been on that bandwagon since he didn't back the Fighting Sioux logo. But if you don't think Kelley, president of the university, will have equal say as everyone else, you are in for a rude awakening. Just ask people who did this sort of thing for Grand Forks Central. We had names but the principal had the final say and chopped our list and made us choose from a very edited list of names. It surely wasn't a "democratic" process of choosing a new name for the future of the school.

People have been on that bandwagon since he didn't back the Fighting Sioux logo. But if you don't think Kelley, president of the university, will have equal say as everyone else, you are in for a rude awakening. Just ask people who did this sort of thing for Grand Forks Central. We had names but the principal had the final say and chopped our list and made us choose from a very edited list of names. It surely wasn't a "democratic" process of choosing a new name for the future of the school.

UND is in no way comparable to Central High School, nor will the process be. There is a lot more money and people with very vested interests involved. And if you don't think Kelley, president of the University, should have his voice heard, then you are in for a rude awakening. Considering there are still quite a few details to be ironed out about what will actually happen and how it will happen, I'll reserve trying to run down Kelley until it actually might make sense to do rather than doing it for no reason.

http://nickname.und.edu/logo/

Has UND chosen a new nickname and logo?

No. When the University begins the process of choosing a nickname and logo, there will be prominent public announcements about the process. A new nickname and logo will be chosen only after a careful and deliberate process. The bill passed during the Special Session of the North Dakota Legislature and signed into law by Gov. Jack Dalrymple on Nov. 9 takes effect Dec. 1. With respect to a new nickname and logo, the law stipulates that neither UND nor the North Dakota State Board of Higher Education may adopt a new nickname or logo before January 2015. When the process for choosing a new nickname and logo is implemented, it will be announced to UND students, staff, faculty, alumni, and friends. Until then, he University’s athletic teams will be called UND or “North Dakota,” and will use the current interlocking ND logo.

UND is in no way comparable to Central High School, nor will the process be. There is a lot more money and people with very vested interests involved. And if you don't think Kelley, president of the University, should have his voice heard, then you are in for a rude awakening. Considering there are still quite a few details to be ironed out about what will actually happen and how it will happen, I'll reserve trying to run down Kelley until it actually might make sense to do rather than doing it for no reason.

I think Kelley has more weight in this whole thing than anyone else at the University. After all he is the boss, and his boss's (SBoHE) just needs an NCAA acceptable nickname, they don't care how they accomplish it. If Kelley wants it the Fighting Green Leaves, he will throw that weight around to make sure it gets done. Look how he jumped on the sorority for that sign, he can't think they meant the NA not NCAA. He just loves to through the high and mighty "good guy to all" persona.

I think Kelley has more weight in this whole thing than anyone else at the University. After all he is the boss, and his boss's (SBoHE) just needs an NCAA acceptable nickname, they don't care how they accomplish it. If Kelley wants it the Fighting Green Leaves, he will throw that weight around to make sure it gets done. Look how he jumped on the sorority for that sign, he can't think they meant the NA not NCAA. He just loves to through the high and mighty "good guy to all" persona.

Thank you for confirming you don't have much of an idea on the matter.

Really? I think he just told the truth. An uncomfortable truth, but the truth nonetheless.

Despite all the Kelley hate on here (some deserved, most not), he's a very smart individual. Whatever nickname chosen won't be popular, especially initially, but there will be significant input by many groups. This isn't and won't be a rubber-stamped agenda item by Kelley.

Nope I only went through the process at GFC in 1994...what school's nickname did you help pick out?

UND is in no way comparable to Central High School, nor will the process be. There is a lot more money and people with very vested interests involved.

I think I have a better handle on it than assuming that it will be exactly how a high school did it or that one person has the power to arbitrarily pick whatever they want.

I just hope its not like GFC where the list magically gets cut because they don't "like" certain names, and everyone gets a fair share in choosing a name. Alumni, students, faculty should be the only ones. No tribes, no outsiders, just people related to the University. People of Grand Forks not necessarily need to be involved since all changing of logos are not paid by the city but by the university. I think maybe a fair way would be the Alumni come up with 10 names, faculty 10 names, students 10 names. Then combine the list (I am sure it won't be 30 because of duplicates) and take a vote, top 10 names, you vote again. New name. Sounds simple but a lot of things ($$$), or people (SBoHE, Kelley, Al Carlson) can get in the way of that.

Despite all the Kelley hate on here (some deserved, most not), he's a very smart individual. Whatever nickname chosen won't be popular, especially initially, but there will be significant input by many groups. This isn't and won't be a rubber-stamped agenda item by Kelley.

Who will appoint the committee? Didn't Kelly appoint the original committee? Do you think he will appoint people with opinions strongly in opposition to his own?

I don't know if this would impact it, but what is the legislature trying to do this November that will impact the SBoHE and would this have any impacts in this process at all? I am kind of confused on what they are trying to do

The legislature passed a bill that puts a constitutional amendment to the vote of the people of ND. The vote will take place during the general election in November. If the amendment is passed, the Board would cease to exist. It would be replaced by a 3 member commission who oversee the NDUS (replacing the Board and Chancellor). The 3 commissioners would be paid, full-time employees. The 3 commissioners would be appointed by the Governor, selecting from a list of potential candidates. The list would be put together by a group including the speaker of the house, president of the senate, superintendent of public instruction, and a couple others I can't remember.

Depending on who's selected to the commission (if enacted), it should have no more effect on the name than the Board.

<ding!>

Winner.

Who will appoint the committee? Didn't Kelly appoint the original committee? Do you think he will appoint people with opinions strongly in opposition to his own?

Yup and according to reports there were some on the committee who suggested the need to approach area businesses and ask that they consider removing all references to Fighting Soux. Of course it goes without saying they wanted the name removed from every inch of UND including the current rule that no UND employee can not wear the FIghting Sioux logo to work.