SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I guess I was just referencing his ability to play the race card and trump everyone else. He could just say staying without a nickname will be racist because people will then still use fighting Sioux.

I appreciate your point.  But anyone on the committee could say something like that and it would carry the same weight. Some are just more influential at articulating their points.  I think the race card reference is an insult to McDonald and his ability to transcend race when it comes to his own reasoning. McDonald does not believe what he believes because he is American Indian; he believes what he does because it is part of is his personal political ideology. Granted his cultural background gives him a more informed perspective, but I would wager that Russ would feel the same way as he does about NA nicknames if he were white.

The fact that feelings surrounding NA nicknames are less about race than they are about politically correct ideology plays out in the American Indian communities across the country as the feelings are extremely mixed.

I've bee a vocal critic of Roughriders, but it seems pretty obvious, even to me, that it's the best option remaining.  And I generally agree that a new nickname is better than no nickname, but honestly, when compared to this list, no nickname is not a bad option.  

For me:

1) Roughriders - I don't like that we're copying the local high school team, but it's an official nickname of the state and is pretty unique

2) Cavalry - I like it in theory, but the confusion with Calvary can't be ignored.  About half the people on this board spell it wrong, and probably say it wrong too.  On the other hand, a lot of people spelled Sioux wrong too (but at leas it was easy to pronounce).

3) North Dakota

The remaining options are all unacceptable in my opinion.

What truly frightens me is that with all the really bad nicknames in the Final 15, at least one of them is sure to make the Final 3.  And when that happens, look for outside interests to wreak havoc with the public voting process.

Agreed. The only option left that makes sense.

• Upvote 2

The one that was a real wildcard to me, in terms of being the least expected to make this cut, was explorers. I expected plenty that I consider bad (sundogs, pride, spirit) to make the cut, but that's the survivor that was least on my radar.

After giving it some thought, it made my personal "acceptable" list because it's unique, is a person (not a feeling or weather phenomenon), is nicely affiliated with the state, and has the potential for a cool logo.

However, it's horrible in chants and announcements and has no obvious short version that can be worked into chants. (Interestingly, not being able to be shortened is actually considered a positive according to the committee's criteria).

Perhaps we could recycle Denver's old logo to appease Karl G and his "abstractness" when it comes to being open to the individual's interpretation...BEHOLD!  I give you...the University of North Dakota Explorers!

2465.gif

FWIW, I actually like the "Explorers" submission...I am as stunned as you that it made it this far.  

Which means it won't be one of the finalists when it comes down to a vote, if this list is any indication of their ability to choose wisely.

They have to know if Roughriders is on the finals for vote, it wins in a landslide.

So do they purposely leave it off?

Seems like they want a hawk, spirit or force, and that leaves only one slot left: North Stars?

I think the race card reference is an insult to McDonald and his ability to transcend race when it comes to his own reasoning. McDonald does not believe what he believes because he is American Indian; he believes what he does because it is part it is his personal political ideology. Granted his cultural background gives him a more informed perspective, but I would wager that Russ would feel the same way as he does about NA nicknames if he were white.

The fact that feelings surrounding NA nicknames are less about race than they are about politically correct ideology plays out in the American Indian communities across the country as the feelings are extremely mixed.

The bold and underlined opinion of yours is nearsighted at best.  Russ was put on that committee for a reason and it wasn't because of his personal political ideology...to think that is quite naive.

To your last sentence you are correct.....unless you are NA.  Stop by Leigh Jeanotte's office for clarification if you want.

The bold and underlined opinion of yours is nearsighted at best.  Russ was put on that committee for a reason and it wasn't because of his personal political ideology...to think that is quite naive.

To your last sentence you are correct.....unless you are NA.  Stop by Leigh Jeanotte's office for clarification if you want.

I never said he was put on the committee because of his political ideology.  I said the reasons he believes what he believes has nothing to do with race.  He believes what he believes because he has a politcally correct mindset that is pervasive across the UND faculty and other higher education institutions.  He considers it an enlightened way of thinking when in fact it is just hypersensitivity and political correctness run amok.

I would say the same thing about Lowell and the others:  they're reasonings are not being dictated by their race.  To suggest as much is quite naive (I know you didn't but the poster I was replying to did).

It appears there is probably only really about 7 names under consideration:

Explorers

Hawks (listed 3 times)

Force

North Stars

Roughriders (Cavalry is basically a duplicate)

Spirit

Sundogs

Hawks of any kind is very original and the committee should be appauded for their diligence if one of those is chosen.  Well played.

Force is in my backyard.

Spirit.....lame.

Sundogs..........the original smoldering pile of ______.  No thanks.

So really we have 4 IMO.

• Upvote 3

I never said he was put on the committee because of his political ideology.  I said the reasons he believes what he believes has nothing to do with race.  He believes what he believes because he has a politcally correct mindset that is pervasive across the UND faculty and other higher education institutions.  He considers it an enlightened way of thinking when in fact it is just hypersensitivity and political correctness run amok.

We will agree to disagree.  His race in this process trumps his political ideology and correctness.  To think otherwise is silly IMO.

We will agree to disagree.  His race in this process trumps his political ideology and correctness.  To think otherwise is silly IMO.

Fair enough.  But I still contend that Russ would be just as fervently against NA nicknames and logos if he was white or black or whatever. Race and cultural background informs his reasoning but does not dictate it. The same goes for the white people on the panel.

So with "North Dakota" being one of the final 15, I guess all of the assertions that it's against the surrender agreement, we'll get booted from the NCAA, we'll be put back on the sanctions list, etc. are now publicly fully revealed as being that which anyone with a scintilla of common sense has already known - complete and utter B.S.  Stay "North Dakota"; it's that simple, really.

• Upvote 3

Perhaps we could recycle Denver's old logo to appease Karl G and his "abstractness" when it comes to being open to the individual's interpretation...BEHOLD!  I give you...the University of North Dakota Explorers!

2465.gif

FWIW, I actually like the "Explorers" submission...I am as stunned as you that it made it this far.

I'm starting to wonder if Explorers will be the compromise between the inanimate object and Roughriders crowd.

I am shocked by some of the stupidity on these message boards. There are actually people who prefer Sun Dogs over North Dakota. I understand people not being a fan of no nickname; but to be willing to accept anything over remaining North Dakota shocks me.

Sun Dogs is absolutely laughable, I would take flickertails 100 times over before sun dogs. unbelievable.

• Upvote 3

It's time to vote so everyone can worry about better things like what to grill for tailgating at the potato bowl. Here's 4 to go to a vote.

North Dakota (don't think it should be but let's have it on there, that way no one can complain if it's voted down)

Cavalry

Roughriders

Explorers

I would think everyone would be ok with at least one of those names maybe 2-3 and no sun dogs, spirit, blaze etc. Explorers could be the option for the spirit pride crowd. There you go committee, pick those 4 and let the masses decide. Everyone good with that?

• Upvote 4

Who the < bleep > is Russ McDonald and how is he so connected? 

He's on this committee.

He was on the committee to select a new chancellor for the ND University System.

Sure, he's got an education PhD (from UND); sure he's president at UTTC*.

But his whole life is dedicated to studying American Indian issues. Seems pretty focused on one group, dare I say he only cares about exploring one race, his race, and doesn't that make him by definition a < nope, not going to say it >. 

*Couldn't we get someone from a more credentialed school, like Rasmussen College? 

• Upvote 1