SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Your name died.

hmmm..

ermines is dead.

But, that list also killed Rough Riders and RoughRiders.

None and No Nickname also died according to that list...

Screaming Weasels still has a chance!   ;)

I would like to state how non-transparent this process is likely to be.  I have numerous patents and have worked on some trademarking of product names, but never as a government entity.  I assumed that we could, if necessary, get a FOIA request to see the population of votes for the nicknames (or remaining the University of North Dakota).  That will not be the case since they are using an outside agency to gather the nickname suggestions.  I would hope that folks would push to make this happen, and push the committee to make this known.  This is very disturbing, but I figured there would be a way to keep the public from knowing once they put some nicknames up to vote.  If they are afraid to put remaining the University of North Dakota up against a couple of options like the Screamin' Muskrats or Mighty Spudders, then we should know why this would happen.  I am getting tired of the majority not getting a say it what is going to happen.  I feel any nickname should be powerful enough to gather more votes than remaining the University of North Dakota.  If there is one, than so be it and it will be implemented.  My point is why should we "settle".  If no nickname is good enough to surpass remaining without one, than we should not have one.  I would just hope that the university would be open about what is going on and I would hope the committee will be able to get the information from the marketing agency ad pass that on prior to any choice of votes happening.

So about this...claims seem fairly far off-base so far.

• Upvote 1

There are same names on both lists? How can one be on the chopping block and the other on the acceptable list.

It looks like the second list is the suggestions that were submitted, and the first list is the ones that were unfairly and unscientifically eliminated from consideration due to a complete lack of knowledge about ermine.

It looks like the second list is the suggestions that were submitted, and the first list is the ones that were unfairly and unscientifically eliminated from consideration due to a complete lack of knowledge about ermine.

Are you the one who submitted that name 20 times ? :)

Wait a minute.  I think I'm figuring this out.  It looks like the non-consideration list excludes the following:

Smart-alecky suggestions

Names that they know they won't select (You know, like "Fighting Sioux" and "Sioux")

Some semi-random selection of duplicate suggestions (which may be something like suggestions coming from the same IP address)

I think the consideration list includes everything that's still alive.  And do you know what that means?  

Ermines are still alive!

(Oh, and if the committee is reading this, I apologize about that clown show comment.  Y'all are awesome.  You're great.  If you were animals, you would be ermines.)

Are you the one who submitted that name 20 times ? :)

LOL! Ya think?

It appears that the lovable yet ferocious ermine was submitted a total of 60 times.  I'm pretty sure that I'm no more than 10 of those.  So there are a lot of savvy and intelligent North Dakotans out there.

I'm telling you, people.  Go set up the forum.erminesport.com domain, because it's going to happen.  It just makes too much sense.

So about this...claims seem fairly far off-base so far.

I give them credit for putting the list out there, but you do not know what I had done after I found out about this as far as contacting numerous people at the university.  I am not saying that I caused the list to come out, I would have hoped that they did this on their own.  However, I doubt I was the only one to make contact about this issue.  The last part of the argument about remaining "North Dakota", and putting the other choices up to compete against it is still up in the air.  I sincerely hope it happens.

Okay, I took a look.  Now, this is a public input process and not a vote, so it's certainly possible that one person could submit one suggestion that wins it all.  But if you look at general support and consider primarily the names that got 10 or more suggestions, you end up with this list:

Aeros
Aviators
Badlanders
Berserkers
Big Green
Blackhawks
Blizzard
Bombers
Cavalry
Dakota
Dakotans
Dragons
Drillers
Ermines
Explorers
Fighting Dakotans
Fighting Farmers
Fighting Warriors
Fire
Flame
Flames
Flickertails
Flood
Force
Frackers
Frost Giants
Green Machine
Homesteaders
Hunters
Kodiaks
Legends
Mallards
Meadowlarks
Nighthawks
Nodaks
Nordics
Norse
North Dakota
North Stars
Northern Lights
Outlaws
Paratas
Pilots
Polar Bears
Predators
Pride
Pronghorns
Raptors
Rattlers
Reapers
Roughnecks
Settlers
Snowy Owls
Sodbusters
Spirit
Stallions
Stars
Storm
Sundogs
Thrashers
Tomahawks
Trailblazers
Trappers
Tsunami
Tundra
Warriors
Warriors of the North
Wind
Yeti

I'm reading the list of all names submitted, and I have to admit, some of them have me laughing.  However, I was very surprised to see that Big Cocks was not even suggested?!  I thought that was a name that had a lot of support, especially from the GOBC.  Makes you wonder...

• Upvote 1