SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

The GF Air Base has the phrase "Warriors of the North" across their entrance with a warrior like drawing. Maybe we could use the warriors in some other form tying to the Air Base or some form of battle warrior

Ah yes, the lost member of "The Village People". ;) 

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/15780-new-nickname/?p=726043 

The GF Air Base has the phrase "Warriors of the North" across their entrance with a warrior like drawing. Maybe we could use the warriors in some other form tying to the Air Base or some form of battle warrior

Yes!!!  Someone else is on my Warrior bandwagon!!  Does not have to reference Native Americans so the NCAA PC police won't be on our backs. Can be a tribute to all men and women who have fought fot this country.  And specifically our frends from our locan Air bases in the state (one of which is just up the road)!

The Warriors of North Dakota!!  Jump on everyone!!

Ah yes, the lost member of "The Village People". ;)

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/15780-new-nickname/?p=726043 

I would elect to come up with a different logo than the one GFAFB has displayed on the link.

Yes!!!  Someone else is on my Warrior bandwagon!!  Does not have to reference Native Americans so the NCAA PC police won't be on our backs. Can be a tribute to all men and women who have fought fot this country.  And specifically our frends from our locan Air bases in the state (one of which is just up the road)!

Warriors, if displayed properly and non-controversial, would be a very neutral nickname and could be tied militarily to service men and women.

I vote Warriors!

Sorry but I brought this one up yrs ago logo & same source

I still like it but I now doubt any mention of ethnic people will ever fly with the PC crowd

Do you really think that Air force personnel at the GFAFB are going to offended by the name Warriors?  I get the PC police are bat s%@t crazy.  But that is a little rediculous!!

I agree with lots of crazy stuff about all this

I would think the pc crowd will avoid anything with a Viking / Norse warrior attached to the name - maybe a naked stick man oops! person - u could call a warrior these days? ? ?

Flickertails.

Nickname for the state.  Hate on it as much as you want.  Former nickname for teh Flagship as well.  Unique....which apparently is a big deal to the UND fans who compensate for personal shortcomings by having big trucks.

i've never seen more lifted chevy pickups with modified pipes than the one time i strolled across the ndac's non-descript campus before a bball game years ago...

Love it but I can bet there are many liberal do-gooders who would find something to hate about it.

I cannot understand why we would need to fear using the nickname Warriors. IMO it's an irrational fear and it's the kind of fight we should welcome (assuming the associated logo is appropriate)

Agreed, but the quote "perception is reality" pops into my mind. And as long as that quote is taken as truth...

Colleges using Warriors as a nickname, I think UND can come up with something not quite so common:

Warriors ---

I posted Golden State's old logo above, darell...who could ever forget that futuristic steroid-ridden figure carrying a lightning bolt? 1990's logo awfulness at its best!

Winona State has the identical logo as Merrimack. So if UND becomes Warrior someone would need to come up with a logo that is 

1. non Native American like

2. original

3. has no lighting bolt as we aren't the SD Chargers.

Agreed, but the quote "perception is reality" pops into my mind. And as long as that quote is taken as truth...

I understand what you are saying, and I don't actually want Warriors as the nickname because I believe it's use is too pervasive in sports already.    But I say we should be willing to fight these battles rather than knuckle under automatically because there is a point that is and is not appropriate, and the momentum to consider anything as "offensive" is already sliding too far IMO.   So a stand needs to be taken at some point, by someone, and I think if we're on the right terrain we should fight and not bend over and take a bland boring nickname just because no one will care. 

Because.....then no one will care.

I understand what you are saying, and I don't actually want Warriors as the nickname because I believe it's use is too pervasive in sports already. But I say we should be willing to fight these battles rather than knuckle under automatically because there is a point that is and is not appropriate, and the momentum to consider anything as "offensive" is already sliding too far IMO. So a stand needs to be taken at some point, by someone, and I think if we're on the right terrain we should fight and not bend over and take a bland boring nickname just because no one will care.

Because.....then no one will care.

See also: Eagles, Eastern Michigan University.