SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

You could have the men's team called the Mean Green (yeah I know North Texas), and the women's teams could be called the Pink Ladies (think Grease).

Pink is only used for academics at UND. Kelly green, white and black are the official athletic colors.

Pink is only used for academics at UND. Kelly green, white and black are the official athletic colors.

Oh, I know that.  The only time I ever saw it was at graduation.  

Just having some fun.  

Seriously, I do hope we can get this choice behind us sometime soon.  It just seems to drag on and on and on... 

Oh, I know that.  The only time I ever saw it was at graduation.  

Just having some fun.  

Seriously, I do hope we can get this choice behind us sometime soon.  It just seems to drag on and on and on... 

Just making sure people don't get any bright ideas!

Agreed. But that's a stupid state of being or state of existence. With "Wildmen", at least it's something human. You can imagine wildmen playing hockey. You can't imagine a state of being or an existence playing hockey. Throw Avalanche right in there with the Wild as another stupid nickname.

I've never been a fan of the Wild's nickname as well but I don't think it has anything to do with a "state of being" as you put it.  I believe it's simply referring to Minnesota's wilderness.

I've never been a fan of the Wild's nickname as well but I don't think it has anything to do with a "state of being" as you put it.  I believe it's simply referring to Minnesota's wilderness.

Even when I lived in MSP and had Wild season tickets, nobody could tell me what "The Wild" meant.  Someone in my crew who worked in advertising suggested that it was really a logo with a marketing-driven name tied to it and had nothjng to do with the state.  In my view, if/when UND gets a new moniker that has to be explained to the "average" person, it will be a bigger loser than any other replacement for Fighting Sioux. 

• Upvote 2

http://fans.wild.nhl.com/community/topic/21762-ever-wonder-how-nhl-teams-got-their-names/

Minnesota Wild

In 1998, Wild was chosen as a tribute to the state's wildlife and outdoors reputation. It was chosen from a group of six finalists, beating out the Blue Ox, Northern Lights, Voyageurs, White Bears, and Freeze.

Those are names that some people think UND's new name will be.  

That was their minor league team that moved to Manitoba

Yep and that's when I fell in love with the name.  I was hoping they would use it again but that probably wasn't realistic.  The Wild name has actually grown on me and I don't hate it like I used to.

This could work.  In keeping with the minivan theme, I think we need a new poll.

Voyagers

Caravans

Towns & Countries

Siennas

Previas

MPVs

Odysseys

Quests

Routans

Vanagons

Astros

Safaris

Aerostars

Windstars

TransSports

Silhouettes

Personally, I like the Odyssey.

WINDstars is somewhat fitting as well.

This could work.  In keeping with the minivan theme, I think we need a new poll.

Voyagers

Caravans

Towns & Countries

Siennas

Previas

MPVs

Odysseys

Quests

Routans

Vanagons

Astros

Safaris

Aerostars

Windstars

TransSports

Silhouettes

Personally, I like the Odyssey.

This sounds like a shopping mall.  No thank you.

Just pick an animal that is a habitant of North Dakota and go with it. 

Nokota it is. A lot of people are afraid of North Dakota Nokota being too big of a mouth full. I actually think it is a hell of a brand. Think about it: 

1) It is literally "North Dakota" condensed into one word

2) It is our state horse (One of the few states with wild horses)

3) Horses are intelligent and athletic animals and were vital to the settling of our state

I don't think it can get any better than this. For those who don't like the tongue twister aspect, it inevitably be shortened to Nokes casually. Not saying that's a good or bad thing but it would happen. The only problem I can see would be the fact that Nokota sounds like a Native American word, even though the horse was named after "North Dakota," not anything specifically related to Native Americans.

I initially did not like this nickname. But the more I think about it, the only reason I hate the name is because it is not the Fighting Sioux. Beyond that, I think it would be a name that represents our university and our state honorably and originally. 

• Upvote 2