SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

University of Findlay (OH) was the only college I could find with the name Oilers. Small private D2 school. So the name is still pretty original. The more I hear the name Oilers as our new name, the more I like it. That being said, I don't want a green and white Edmonton Oilers or Houston Oilers logo. We need our one identity.

Naming a school in Grand Forks Oilers would be like naming a school in Williston Sugar Beets.

And until 2004, the last sighting of a wolverine in Michigan was in the early 1800's...before Michigan was even a STATE! It's the University of North Dakota...not the University of Grand Forks.

http://www.foundmich...last-wolverine/

EDIT: Someone already beat me to the UND-not-UGF line...

• Upvote 1

University of Findlay (OH) was the only college I could find with the name Oilers. Small private D2 school. So the name is still pretty original. The more I hear the name Oilers as our new name, the more I like it. That being said, I don't want a green and white Edmonton Oilers or Houston Oilers logo. We need our one identity.

I actually saw Findlay play at REA in the early 2000's before they dropped hockey.

• Upvote 1

And until 2004, the last sighting of a wolverine in Michigan was in the early 1800's...before Michigan was even a STATE! It's the University of North Dakota...not the University of Grand Forks.

http://www.foundmich...last-wolverine/

EDIT: Someone already beat me to the UND-not-UGF line...

Glacier National Park had a Facebook post last year talking about how rare it is to see a wolverine in the wild.

oil industry won't last forever; the nickname will hopefully last much longer.

I have to think Rough Riders is the runaway favorite. Classic, historical and dignified. It can't come soon enough, whatever it is.

Oh, I think naming the school after a group of Yankees who killed Spaniards on foreign soil is likely to be met with some opposition by UND's academia nuts who will no doubt occupy a good portion of the new nickname committee. They'll find a Spaniard who is offended by the term "Rough Riders"...

After seeing this "Siouxper Drunk" issue hit the news, I am inclined to think it's time for a new nickname. Whatever it is, let's make it a good one and put the historic Sioux name behind us.

While I agree, dropping the nickname apparently wasn't enough and I don't think picking a new one will be either. There will always be a very small but very vocal group who will continue to use their imagination to bring UND into everything that they are "offended" by.

While I agree, dropping the nickname apparently wasn't enough and I don't think picking a new one will be either. There will always be a very small but very vocal group who will continue to use their imagination to bring UND into everything that they are "offended" by.

They won't be offended anymore when the "Monarch Butterflies" take the field, court, or ice...

I think it's the best thing for the university. Do it ASAP.

I'll still wear my Sioux gear..but, as an individual, I can make that choice.

(Sorry, Goon. I couldn't resist but change my avatar! LOL)

• Upvote 1

The problem is we had a wholly unique, regionally relevant name that was also epic and BA sounding. I dont want a non unique name. naming us after a common animal or commonly used set/group/class of people would suck. Not having a regionally relevant name would make it less marketable and lessen the pride in the name. Lastly having something that isnt epic/BA/etc will be lame and a major let down.

Many of the suggestions in the poll are fairly decent. I like fighting norsemen . . . or maybe bandits instead of outlaws since we are by the border. But none really hit on all the above AND it would be nice to somehow pay homage to our tradition. I personally would love to change our name to the North Dakota Spirit Lake.

Though not fitting all my own criteria, I also like Direwolves, Immortals, snowbeasts/snowdemons (meh), green reapers, winter or northmen (meh) . . .