SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I think the real reason we're required to pick a new nickname is so that "Sioux" doesn't remain an unofficial, de facto school nickname.

Roughriders and Cavalry are nice, and Norse, Nordics, whatever are OK by me as well. I'm convinced the Wild are hindered in part by their poor choice of nickname, and would hate to see us be the Freeze, Blizzard, or some other modernist abstract nonsense.

John

I think the real reason we're required to pick a new nickname is so that "Sioux" doesn't remain an unofficial, de facto school nickname.

Roughriders and Cavalry are nice, and Norse, Nordics, whatever are OK by me as well. I'm convinced the Wild are hindered in part by their poor choice of nickname, and would hate to see us be the Freeze, Blizzard, or some other modernist abstract nonsense.

John

Wild is about as dumb as every nickname in the WNBA.

Roughriders is lame,used,weak,un-original,too many sexual conotations,would be an easy target for our opponents. I'm with Virg Foss and pretty everyone else I talk to. NO nickname.

You and Virg Foss are in the minority. And also both ignorant and uninformed on the issue. How many times do we have to remind people like you that as per the agreement with the NCAA and state law, UND must pick a new name by 2015. Why is that so hard to get?? Having no nickname is a horrible idea. The interlocking ND is a fine logo, but it is rediculous to go as nothing. You and Virg can be stubborn, but the rest of us will move on with a new name.

• Upvote 1

Show me where we're required to pick a nickname. Since I'm so ignorant and uninformed I'll let you look it up.

It is true UND actually were supposed to have a new name after the 2010 deadline but the state law and cooling off period messed up the timeline.

I'm not even close to cooled off - never will be

The ncaa is the most corrupt & unfair hypocrites to allow Florida to do what they do & then now we have to choose a lame name to try & force us to give up our history over a crappy football D1 jump that may never be anything because of a PC Admin.& a lot of other folks got hoodwinked by these morally corrupt pieces of fecal matter - will never be forgotten

The ncaa is the most corrupt & unfair hypocrites to allow Florida to do what they do & then now we have to choose a lame name to try & force us to give up our history over a crappy football D1 jump that may never be anything because of a PC Admin.& a lot of other folks got hoodwinked by these morally corrupt pieces of fecal matter - will never be forgotten

Why don't you ask the alumni of Grand Forks Central if they are over the name change? I myself hate that GFC is not the Redskins, however I will always cheer for them even though they are called the Knights (a name I voted for in the spring of 1994). UND won't be called the Sioux but I will always cheer for the UND (enter nickname here).

So much wrong with this post and attitude. I'll agree with you on the hypocrisy part of it, but UND signed a deal and couldn't get done what they needed to.

• Upvote 1

Hey I could care less about the no longer Ray Jays either :p

The Ray Jays aren't around anymore either?

How about the Alexander Comets?

Rhame Pirates?

Golva Tigers?

Reeder Rockets?

Scranton Miners?

Almont Eagles?

Mott Cardinals?

Regent Rangers?

Elgin Dutchmen?

New England St Mary's Saints?

Hebron Brickmakers?

Taylor Redbirds?