SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I absolutely detest nicknames where the name is shortened to something that isn't even a word. For example, some of the worst jerseys of recent memory include the 1980's "CAVS" jerseys for Cleveland as well as the BOLTS jerseys that Tampa Bay wore and the SENS jerseys of the Ottawa Senators. Sens? Really? You would never call the Dodgers the Dods or the Braves the Bras, so why something as lame as Cavs? Yuck.

So what about Fighting Sioux to just Sioux??? ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Cavalry is my top choice as well. Substitute the Brien designed Sioux head for a profile of Teddy Roosevelt facing to the left an you are all set! Throw in a couple cris crossing swords below it and you got yourself a new logo!!

^^^THIS!!^^^^ - Great Idea....I think the silhouette of the retired Ben Brien Sioux logo could easily be changed from a Native American to the Face of Teddy Roosevelt with his Cavalry hat on. Head tipped down with a deep stare looking forward! Would be a great way to honor ND history and the University of North Dakota!

^^^THIS!!^^^^ - Great Idea....I think the silhouette of the retired Ben Brien Sioux logo could easily be changed from a Native American to the Face of Teddy Roosevelt with his Cavalry hat on. Head tipped down with a deep stare looking forward! Would be a great way to honor ND history and the University of North Dakota!

kind of like my homemade avatar...change up ben briens sioux silhouette and make it a viking with a deep stare looking forward....would be a great way to honor the scandinavian in our region and the University of North Dakota!

Nothing to do with a new logo,but was in Bismarck today and saw a Native American gentleman wearing a sweatshirt with a large Fighting Sioux logo on the front and back,had never seen one like that,pretty cool. Saw another NA wearing a Washington Redskins jacket withe a big Redskins logo on the back. Neither seemed too offended to me. Curious that.

• Upvote 2

The Roughriders AFL team that was in Bismarck had a logo like what you're talking about.

Nothing to do with a new logo,but was in Bismarck today and saw a Native American gentleman wearing a sweatshirt with a large Fighting Sioux logo on the front and back,had never seen one like that,pretty cool. Saw another NA wearing a Washington Redskins jacket withe a big Redskins logo on the back. Neither seemed too offended to me. Curious that.

The offended ones are the non-Native Americans because they have nothing else to bitch about.

• Upvote 3

Inside this week's Sports Illustrated, a writer sending in a letter to the editor commented that Jim Harbaugh needs to find a new person to admire other than Winston Churchill. Seems to me that too many folks with that type of attitude are usually the first ones jumping on nickname-selection committees. Cue the final nickname choices of Vegetarian Polar Bears, Glittery Unicorns, and Sparkling Rainbows.

Inside this week's Sports Illustrated, a writer sending in a letter to the editor commented that Jim Harbaugh needs to find a new person to admire other than Winston Churchill. Seems to me that too many folks with that type of attitude are usually the first ones jumping on nickname-selection committees. Cue the final nickname choices of Vegetarian Polar Bears, Glittery Unicorns, and Sparkling Rainbows.

Would Skittles be our mascot.

• 4 weeks later...