SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

• 2 weeks later...

makes a little nervous to see president kelly out in sacramento smiling in a pic wearing a green shirt that says north dakota spirit??? also bugs me that the word spirit is twice the size of north dakota?

btw kelly button up the shirt and lose the aviators

They are still promoting the Spirit fundraising campaign. They hope to wrap it up this year. I believe they were about $30 million short of the goal as of July 1. I'm sure that's why he is wearing a North Dakota Spirit shirt.

University of North Dakota Fighting Sasquatch…yes Sasquatch!

It is unique and the marketing possibilities are endless. The Bigfoot imprint would be our logo. We could finally have a mascot…something similar to the Big Foot on the Jack Links beef jerky ads (nobody messes with Sasquatch!) Because this is a mythical creature (I think?) we should be able to avoid the PC crowd and have a little fun with our mascot and marketing our team.

Envision it all…loud music blaring…team in the tunnel… close up of the glowing eyes of the Sasquatch on the fascia ring… cue the famous Patterson video of Sasquatch on the big screen...extreme close up of the sasquatch on the big screen as he turns his head toward the camera …the sudden primal scream of the sasquatch fills the arena…Brian Lee Rivers/Darrin Looker asks the crowd “Are you ready for your Yeti?...crowd worked up into a frenzy and banging their tree knockers (thunder sticks) together…

No, we don’t have any history of Sasquatch in our area but they are mythical (I think?) and frankly all the other names like Cavalry, Rough Riders, Sodbusters, Norkota, Spirit, Pilots, Oilers, etc. are either boring or lame. The kids want something hip, now, with it, and wow and Sasquatch fits that bill.

The marketing aspect of this is through the roof. Wisconsin fans do the Jump Around thing we can do the Squatch walk…yes, hunched over with arms swinging a few steps to the right and then back to the left…Lower bowl one direction and upper bowl the opposite. Tree knockers instead of thunder sticks. T-shirts featuring our beloved mascot with his huge foot over our opponent…”Squatch the Gophers” or Bison or any of our rivals as the caption. Former Sioux kids club now the Little Feet. Similar to how the T-Wolves use the howl of the wolf we could use the primal scream of the Sasquatch during games. Perhaps we can get James “Bobo” Fay of the TV show Finding Big Foot to do the primal scream for us. “Gone Squatching” would be code for following the University Of North Dakota.

Are you ready for the Yeti?

• Upvote 2

It is unique and the marketing possibilities are endless. The Bigfoot imprint would be our logo. We could finally have a mascot…something similar to the Big Foot on the Jack Links beef jerky ads (nobody messes with Sasquatch!) Because this is a mythical creature (I think?) we should be able to avoid the PC crowd and have a little fun with our mascot and marketing our team.

Envision it all…loud music blaring…team in the tunnel… close up of the glowing eyes of the Sasquatch on the fascia ring… cue the famous Patterson video of Sasquatch on the big screen...extreme close up of the sasquatch on the big screen as he turns his head toward the camera …the sudden primal scream of the sasquatch fills the arena…Brian Lee Rivers/Darrin Looker asks the crowd “Are you ready for your Yeti?...crowd worked up into a frenzy and banging their tree knockers (thunder sticks) together…

No, we don’t have any history of Sasquatch in our area but they are mythical (I think?) and frankly all the other names like Cavalry, Rough Riders, Sodbusters, Norkota, Spirit, Pilots, Oilers, etc. are either boring or lame. The kids want something hip, now, with it, and wow and Sasquatch fits that bill.

The marketing aspect of this is through the roof. Wisconsin fans do the Jump Around thing we can do the Squatch walk…yes, hunched over with arms swinging a few steps to the right and then back to the left…Lower bowl one direction and upper bowl the opposite. Tree knockers instead of thunder sticks. T-shirts featuring our beloved mascot with his huge foot over our opponent…”Squatch the Gophers” or Bison or any of our rivals as the caption. Former Sioux kids club now the Little Feet. Similar to how the T-Wolves use the howl of the wolf we could use the primal scream of the Sasquatch during games. Perhaps we can get James “Bobo” Fay of the TV show Finding Big Foot to do the primal scream for us. “Gone Squatching” would be code for following the University Of North Dakota.

This post made me laugh...a lot. Thank you!

By far the best, and least politically contoversial suggestion yet. I'm all in! We can put "Bonehead " in a suit and give him free Coors Lt to run around the rinkas the mascot.

Wow you really thought this one through!!! ARE YOU READY FOR THE YETI??? I think I like it! I would maybe go a different route than "Fighting" Sasquatch though, it doesn't flow very well for me. Perhaps the Wild Sasquatch or Angry Sasquatch or maybe just Sasquatch (is there a plural form or is Sasquatch both singular and plural?)..... meh, whatever, not sure yet. I can't imagine a scenario in which Jack Links wouldn't line up to be a sponsor right away though!! lol