SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

Folks, if the NCAA were true to its own policy, "Norse" wouldn't work either. Why?

The NCAA policy states monikers related to "race, ethnicity, or national origin" are subject to the policy.

"Norse" won't fly if the NCAA decides to actually enforce their whole policy as written.

Want a Norse (and Germanic) theme?

Steal from the common Norse-Germanic mythology: Become the Mjolnir (Thor's hammer*).

Logo? Done.

Alternative name: The (War) Hammer.

Of course we'd need approval from this guy's family. ;)

*Thor's hammer is powerful enough to level mountains ... explaining the flatness of ND. :D

As I've said before the state motto of Minnesota is "L'Etoil du Nord" (the Star of the North).

Why in world would the University take on that moniker.

Because it's unique and EGF is in MN and GF could just as well be and because one of UND's big concerns should be to choose a new nickname that is not stupid or bland or idiotic. "North Stars" is not close to the "Fighting Sioux" but it is, at least, a reasonable substitute. Just to be realistic, as much of the conversation has toiled around economic power and trademarks and the like, the owner of the Dallas Stars is the "L'Etoil du Nord" and Minnesota does not even enter into the equation; I am sure many remember that quite well from 1993. "L'Etoil du Nord" may be on the state flag, much like the indian imagery on ND Highway Patrol squad cars, but the real issue is who owns the trademark.

I'm the one who first rolled out Reapers. Here're my thoughts then (and now):

It's a tip of the cap to both the history and the future of the state.

The state's history is agrarain. Those folks built the state by planting and reaping (by hand, then machine). Those folks built the footings for UND.

Today, the MQ-9 Reaper is a technological achievement: science, technology, engineering, aviation.

And black jerseys could be a whole lotta fun with a reaper motif. ;)

Folks, if the NCAA were true to its own policy, "Norse" wouldn't work either. Why?

The NCAA policy states monikers related to "race, ethnicity, or national origin" are subject to the policy.

"Norse" won't fly if the NCAA decides to actually enforce their whole policy as written.

That will be discriminatory and not deemed "inclusive." Does anyone think that the BRIDGES nuts could "rally around" such a nickname? The new nickname will be chosen only by a few and it will be an idiotic nickname -- you can take both of those things to the bank.

The new nickname will be chosen only by a few and it will be an idiotic nickname ...

Here we agree.

That's why I'm saying those of us who care need to start ratcheting up the pressure now.

The longer it sits idle the easier it'll be to shove any pap and claptrap at us.

Here we agree.

That's why I'm saying those of us who care need to start ratcheting up the pressure now.

The longer it sits idle the easier it'll be to shove any pap and claptrap at us.

Yes, but I don't think that will matter in the end. I would be that the Alumni Association and the UND Admin will think they've been through too much and just choose a "safe" name like the "Flames" or the "Fighting Spirit" or something. Get ready for a Marquette-ish or Dartmouth-ish experience for the next couple of generations.

Yes, but I don't think that will matter in the end. I would be that the Alumni Association and the UND Admin will think they've been through too much and just choose a "safe" name like the "Flames" or the "Fighting Spirit" or something. Get ready for a Marquette-ish or Dartmouth-ish experience for the next couple of generations.

My biggest fear is they try to tie it to the Spirit/Flame program, those would be horrible names.

That's where I think "Rough Riders" may have the inside lane.

I would love that as a new nickname. Very unique in the college world, great logo possibilities, "Riders" is easy to substitute in for "Sioux" in chants and cheers, ties to North Dakota history. I don't see any negatives beyond it being Red River's nickname.

Scanning through this thread...saw "Oilers" suggested. Is there any reason why that name wouldn't be given consideration? I thought that was a good recommendation. I liked the name of the old AFL Houston Oilers (Tn Titans now).

I would love that as a new nickname. Very unique in the college world, great logo possibilities, "Riders" is easy to substitute in for "Sioux" in chants and cheers, ties to North Dakota history. I don't see any negatives beyond it being Red River's nickname.

That's where I think "Rough Riders" may have the inside lane.

The new nickname needs to be something inspiring, and something that draws admiration and respect. I think picking RoughRiders would make it easier (not easy, just easier) to ease the pain of leaving Fighting Sioux in the past.

North Dakotans disagree on a lot of things. Support for those brave enough to put their lives on the line to defend our freedom is as close to unanimous as it gets.

It's about as similar to the word sioux as your gonna get and i think the marketing opportunities are endless when it comes to making money for the athletic department...i do like some others around here but in the long run Fighting Norse is my favorite by far.

Norse=Sioux--five letters

here comes your fighting norsssssssssssssssssssssse scoring works

hockey jersey would look almost exactly the same as the old sioux jerseys if ben brien did the new norsehead logo

a mjonir would a great secondary logo---would look nice crossed over on the shoulder of the new hockey jersey like the old crossed tomahawks....

a student dressed up like thor would be a cool mascot..(no thunder the bleacher creature tho)!!

plus its an in ur face to the pc crown where one logo is h&a and the other is perfectly fine?

i do like reapers, plainsman (gender issues with the man ending?), and cavalry also..

On syllable, just like Sioux. Does not end in "s". Same amount of letters. Appropriate for the region.

I like it.

I was instantly against the 'Rough Riders' moniker for fear of stealing it from Red River HS. However, it has slightly grown on me, but why not shorten it to just the 'Riders' (Here's your Riders scoooooooring!). It seems to me that other fanbases will have too much fun with the 'rough' descriptor and at the cost of historical reference (which could be implied - for any knowledgable fan), I would not have a problem dropping it. It seems much more logical than Calvary...err I mean Cavalry :whistling:

I'm not as big on the reapers personally, I instantly think of death, and I would think that the University would avoid references to anything controversial like our current drone program. Sorry Sicatoka.

I would be fine with the North Stars or Fighting Saints, though they might be stretches. Anyone else think that using the 'Norse' monikor would be termed a 'Vikings' ripoff (one could argue the same for the North Stars)...the last thing I want in a nickname is ammunition for my fun-hating Gopher in-laws.... :D

i got Hayduke on board!!!! Sica ur next....as for the reapers what would your logo look like? a scythe or a drone? and remember whatever the new logo, nickname, and mascot it has to make und money!!! a cool sounding name is one thing but to actually make a logo that would sell is another thing.

as for norse being a knockoff of the vikings...nothing is more of a ripoff than the north stars