SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Total Attendance Leader at FCS Level?

star2city

Q: What's stopping NDSU from playing hockey (and selling beer) at Scheel's Arena.

A: The fear amongst Bison Football supporters that some of their own would migrate from football to hockey.

I think that's part of it, but the bigger issue is that NDSU teammakers want NDSU athletics to be at parity or better compared to UND in every sport. Where parity isn't practical, they won't even attempt it.

There is no way in H * L L that NDSU's administration can support hockey if it means going into the "new" WCHA even if it is shown that such a move would be a huge moneymaker. Teammakers would tar and feather NDSU's adminstration because they would demand parity with UND and the new WCHA would be considered beneath NDSU's dignity. The ego of NDSU teammakers will be the downfall of NDSU athletics - as now MSU-Moorhead will start hockey and be the most popular wintertime ticket in the FM area.

It the same prideful and ego on display at Texas A&M - who even though they got a sweetheart deal from the Big 12 (Huge $'s to stay as exit fees were given to them, as well as uneven revenue sharing), got its feelings hurt when UT got the Longhorn network. So A&M takes it ball and quits, even though A&M had signed a solidarity package with all the remaining Big12 schools.

We smack UND because most of their sports teams are not doing so hot right now. And cause they tried following us thinking moving to D1 is easy and really, it is pretty hard. People like you and DaveK don't help UND's cause. Numerous times on this board I have said UND has a lot to be proud of, a very good hockey program. A good place to go to get your degree, etc. Yet you feel the need to trash NDSU fans because we have the same mindset as almost every single D1 FCS/FBS has. 28 of the 245 members of FBS/FCS have hockey programs. That is a very low percentage. That is a reason that most people simply don't care. For the average American male sports fan, he won't be able to tell you who was even in the Frozen Four. He won't know who won your guys biggest day of the year! He won't know who won the FCS either, but we don't parade around bragging how everyone and their sister loves NDSU. UND feels the need to because hockey is all you guys got going for you right now.

I dont care if it shows UND in a good light. All I said was seeing the numbers on football/basketball would be nice because those are far and away the two most popular sports in college athletics.

U of M was our super bowl during the transition, now it isn't. At least not for the reasonable fans who would rather see a conference title than an FBS win. This thread is going nowhere because of your weird anti-coresport comparison. That is a comparison that has merit. The total attendence is very politically correct cause it counts every sport, but people generally would like to see the "big sport" comparisons. Such as, Notre Dame has X number of fans per year at football and basketball, I wonder how well they are doing in comparison to Auburn, Oh! Auburn is bringing in Y number. Thats not bad, but looks like Texas is leading the way.

In your shortsighted eyes.

You really aren't the brightest bulb are you?

You can't grasp the concept that it isn't how "successful" a sport team is. "Success" is relative; it changes. Its not quantitative.

Its about attendance (the topic of this thread go figure). UND has the mineral rights because UND has more money. UND and its vastly superior wisdom choose the correct sports for UND to sponsor. It chose a money making sport. NDSU did not they chose wrestling.

And with that money you will continue to see UND skyrock. New on campus football stadium, new basketball arena (the betty), new indoor football practice facility, national tv contract. I would ask if you get the picture but something tells me I already know the answer.

The Alerus is ten years old. UND will be playing in there for the next 20 years I would bet. The Betty is supposed to be pretty nice, I haven't been there since my sisters volleyball tournement years ago. When you say national tv contract, it sounds like what Notre Dame has. UND doesn't have that, they get shoved on a channel which fortunately for UND fans, they can access if they have sattelite tv, I wish NDSU had that, but we don't. Oh well.

You are trying to tell me that UND wants attendence rather than wins? Believe it or not, attendence doesn't lead to wins.....it can help sometimes however. UND's vastly superior wisdom? I would hope you are willing to acknowledge that UND dropped the ball not going D1 when NDSU did. What is wrong with wrestling? Does it make money? No, but its a sport and NDSU has always been pretty good at it. Is there anything wrong with having that? Not at all. NDSU could add hockey if they wanted. I believe it has been looked into in fact. I don't care one way or the other if they have it. They have decided up until now that it isn't worth our time and trouble. Football and basketball are what NDSU has elected to pump the money into and it has worked out pretty good over the last decade.

Again, NDSU basketball is not the most popular winter sport in Fargo. A hockey team playing in one of the feeder leagues for college hockey is.

I have looked up the numbers for last season.

The Force had 30 home dates with an average attendance of 3506.

The Bison had 13 home dates with an average attendance of 3305.

Also, Sioux hockey had 20 home dates last year (not counting two exhibitions). I do not know what the average number of home dates for a college hockey team is, but I would guess it is higher then the average number of home dates for a college basketball team. It seems NDSU would be wise to invest in a sport that has higher support in their city as well as more home dates.

Edit: Sources

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11902&SPID=697&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=205030822

http://www.pointstreak.com/stats/pro/attendance.html?leagueid=49&seasonid=5967

When you say national tv contract, it sounds like what Notre Dame has. UND doesn't have that, they get shoved on a channel which fortunately for UND fans, they can access if they have sattelite tv, I wish NDSU had that, but we don't. Oh well.

Satellite?

UND has a contract with Fox College Sports. You can get it on virtually any cable provider.

Satellite?

UND has a contract with Fox College Sports. You can get it on virtually any cable provider.

You have to go out of your way to get it correct? As in it costs more? Its great for UND, makes it easier for outta state alum to watch the games.

While you want sports to generate as much money as possible, I'd rather NDSU just stick with what they do. In Fargo, if you want to go watch hockey, you go to Force games. If you want to watch basketball, you go to the BSA. It is pretty simple as far as I'm concerned. If NDSU had proof that they could pack the Scheels Arena every weekend, and make a lot of money(not affect the football/basketball programs) which could in turn go to all the athletics teams, that'd be nice. I'd also want proof that NDSU would be a consistently good team. I don't anticipate NDSU getting a hockey team anytime soon.

I'd like NDSU to make a lot of money but if your hockey program doesn't work out, as in it doesn't turn a good profit, it is an extremely expensive sport to have. Nebraska-Omaha decided to ditch football and wrestling. Btw, shame on them for getting rid of wrestling. Tons of D-2 Titles of late, and they decide to tell the coach moments after he clinches a National Championship again? I don't care if you lose money on that, if your good, you keep the sport. Especially if hockey is such a cash cow for them, it should be able to support their best team.

Beer sales make it pretty easy for the Force to sell a lot of seats. It doesn't hurt the Force that they are pretty good yes? NDSU was mediocre last year in conference play. You need to get hype around the team if you want people to go watch. Why would NDSU get a team, would that not hurt the Force or would the Force hurt the Bison hockey team? I mean, I'm guessing Force fans aren't going to go to all the Bison games. I just don't have optomism about NDSU and hockey.

My cable one doesn't have it. I'd dish out the cash for it though if it had NDSU games on.

Its on our Cable One's premium channels so its a little extra like 5 or 10 bucks but worth it come winter when Sioux hockey is on, plus Sioux basketball, football, and volleyball. I am surprised that with the $$$ NDSU pumps into football they can't get a tv station (Bison Sports Network or something), and televise Bison sports. KVLY is their only hope unless they play Minnesota and maybe a MVFC game on Fox College Sports.

You have to go out of your way to get it correct? As in it costs more? Its great for UND, makes it easier for outta state alum to watch the games.

On Midcontinent it's part of the sports package. It's like $4 a month and you get a ton of channels. Well worth it for UND Athletics and college hockey watching.

On Midcontinent it's part of the sports package. It's like $4 a month and you get a ton of channels. Well worth it for UND Athletics and college hockey watching.

Can you cancel it and renew it at will throughout the year? Can you just say screw it til November and then get it til the end of the season or do they make you commit to the entire year?

You need a history lesson: the reason my writings are detested on bisonville is that I have a proven track record vs bisonville conventional "wisdom":

When all bisonville was stating they were a lock for the Big Sky, I said they would not get in.

When all bisonville was stating they weren't even sure they'd get in the Summit, I said they were a lock.

When all bisonville was stating that there was no way that UND would go DI because of money, I said it would and the Big Sky was interested.

When all bisonville was stating that hockey and women's hockey forces would stop UND from going DI, I said hockey forces actually needed UND to go DI (if a Big Ten Hockey league was to form).

When all bisonville was stating UND would never ever get in the Big Sky, I said they would.

When all bisonville was stating that UND's satellite capabilities wouldn't matter for conference or for a TV deal, I said they would matter greatly.

Your problem is that you listen to bisonville conventional "wisdom" , so you too, will be proven a fool.

My writings aren't especially popular here right now either (especially by me stating that Kelley undermined the Sioux name with Big Sky and Summit Presidents.) But history will also prove that correct, too.

JohnboyND7:

Noticed you never addressed the above documented issues. Bisonville is mostly like a bunch of parrots sitting around mimicking what the others are posting. Rarely is there ever an original thought or a cogent reasoning of a situation that doesn't involve their own hopes that are grounded with a bit of reality. I still remember back in 2003 or so when Jeff Kolpack wrote a column about how NDSU should shoot for the MVC right away - as the Big Sky and Summit weren't good fits, and all Bisonville was singing Kolpack's chorus. That was about as delusional as delusional gets - yet no one on that board called B.S. Even the Chapman fiasco of ego and greed was warned about here years ago, but bisonville posters always reject and scoff at the warnings and the wisdom found here, because in their mind, how could "Sue" fans ever be right about anything?

The point being: bisonville is in desperate need your lecturing and correction, not here. ;)

• Upvote 1

Can you cancel it and renew it at will throughout the year? Can you just say screw it til November and then get it til the end of the season or do they make you commit to the entire year?

Monthly add-on, but I've left it in place since I started it. It's worth it.

Revenue is the bottom line no matter what is the sport dumba$$. You keep hitting on football and basketball which is fine, but that fact is revenue is revenue. That is my point o wise one. Your comments prove that you are being short-sighted. If SU had hockey you would count it - don't lie to yourself.

I pulled the attendance data off the NCAA site to take a look at all levels of DI sports. I was amazed at how poor the lower BCS schools draw.

Wake Forest

BB - m 174,781

BB - w 11,673

FB 182,843

Scr-M 16,748

Scr-W 6,424

Total 392,469

Northwestern

BB - m 89,955

BB - w 19,268

FB 218,696

Sftb 4,418

Total 332,337

Washington St.

BB - m 128,570

BB - w 7,295

FB 147,194

Scr-W 4,714

Total 287,773

o wise one, tell us which college sport is nationally more popular than football and basketball.

Football is so nationally well known at your school that people everywhere are getting you confused with someone else. Boy, you guys have sure made a name for yourself. Football may be popular all across the country, but apparently no one knows who ndsu is. So your basically talking smack about a sport that your pretty irrelevant at. :lol::lol:

I pulled the attendance data off the NCAA site to take a look at all levels of DI sports. I was amazed at how poor the lower BSC schools draw.

Wake Forest

BB - m 174,781

BB - w 11,673

FB 182,843

Scr-M 16,748

Scr-W 6,424

Total 392,469

Northwestern

BB - m 89,955

BB - w 19,268

FB 218,696

Sftb 4,418

Total 332,337

Washington St.

BB - m 128,570

BB - w 7,295

FB 147,194

Scr-W 4,714

Total 287,773

Washington State and Wake Forest are just fortunate to be in conferences on the winning end of the sweepstakes, otherwise they would be the Baylors, Iowa States, and Kansas States that will end up being forced to the margins.

Of course, the difference with Northwestern, Washington State, and Wake Forest is that those schools can collect a $20,000,000 check from their conference, and barely contribute a dime for it.

UND would be ahead in attendance of almost all of the MAC, Sunbelt, and is ahead of all of the new WAC, as well as the bottom half of CUSA. Those schools really aren't any different than us, other than having football stadiums that seat 20,000 - 40,000 (and most often not filling them).

The Top 10 FCS Schools:

North Dakota 324,060

Old Dominion 317,632

Dayton 298,877

Montana 257,989

Delaware 238,465

Missouri St. 236,047

Appalachian St. 233,643

Villanova 231,760

UNI 206,705

James Madison 204,754

14) North Dakota St. 183,213

The one common theme with the top FCS schools was they had a dominate sport that accounted for well over 50% of total attendance. The sports varied between Football/Basketball and Hockey. UNI/Old Dominion are the only schools with two sports split equally - Basketball/Football. North Dakota was hockey 73%, Dayton was basketball 80%, and Missouri St was basketball 55%. All the other top programs are football based at the FSC level with ranges of 88% (App St.) to (JMU) 50%. NOTE: NDSU was 61% football.