SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Total Attendance Leader at FCS Level?

star2city

This obviously does favor UND, very few FCS teams have hockey as a sport. I feel like if you are going to compare attendence it should include mainstream (no niche sports), Football, Basketball, Volleyball. Those are 3 sports that I would assume nearly all FCS programs have, and would make for the most fair comparison.

The comparison is about how well UND does with the sports it offers vs teams in the same Division (FCS). I mean Yes, we all know UND has hockey. So does Maine and some other FCS. Its not comparing sports to sports at other schools. It just shows how well UND does with the sports it offers.

Since all attendance receipts go in the same pot to support each athletic department, total attendance is actually more important than individual sport attendance.

Here is the point: More people go through the gates to watch UND athletics than any other FCS program! Sioux fans shouldn't be proud of that?

The comparison is about how well UND does with the sports it offers vs teams in the same Division (FCS). I mean Yes, we all know UND has hockey. So does Maine and some other FCS. Its not comparing sports to sports at other schools. It just shows how well UND does with the sports it offers.

Here is the point: More people go through the gates to watch UND athletics than any other FCS program! Sioux fans shouldn't be proud of that?

Sounds like jealousy in the Bison camp.

This obviously does favor UND, very few FCS teams have hockey as a sport. I feel like if you are going to compare attendence it should include mainstream (no niche sports), Football, Basketball, Volleyball. Those are 3 sports that I would assume nearly all FCS programs have, and would make for the most fair comparison.

I thought no one cares about hockey??

They don't in Ann Arbor, Madison, Minneapolis, Boston. Yep those small towns don't care about their hockey teams.

Ann Arbor is a football town. Ever heard of the Big House? Madison is a football town. Camp Randall is wild. Minneapolis is a football town. VIkings or the Wild? Who is bigger. Boston is a sports town. Boston loves all of their teams.

Having very good hockey attendence is worth being proud about, considering it is a small sport in comparison to the major college sports. I don't think most Americans would say they have a favorite college hockey team, but you can bet most people got a favorite football or basketball team. The fact though that UND has good hockey attendence kind of goes against what this Attendence comparison should be doing. It should not be adding sports for some schools that other schools do not have. Like I said,

Ann Arbor is a football town. Ever heard of the Big House? Madison is a football town. Camp Randall is wild. Minneapolis is a football town. VIkings or the Wild? Who is bigger. Boston is a sports town. Boston loves all of their teams.

Having very good hockey attendence is worth being proud about, considering it is a small sport in comparison to the major college sports. I don't think most Americans would say they have a favorite college hockey team, but you can bet most people got a favorite football or basketball team. The fact though that UND has good hockey attendence kind of goes against what this Attendence comparison should be doing. It should not be adding sports for some schools that other schools do not have. Like I said,

The same could be said for college basketball and football. Valpo is crap for football but attract the basketball crowd, same with FCS teams that are good in football attendance (NDSU) but horrible in basketball attendance (NDSU). If there is a comparasin do it sport by sport to be fair to every school in the nation.

The fact though that UND has good hockey attendence kind of goes against what this Attendence comparison should be doing. It should not be adding sports for some schools that other schools do not have. Like I said,

Again "Why?" That's not what this topic is about (Feel free to start one with the sports and teams of your choice).

Its a topic about how UND has great and good attendance for all its sports programs (especially when you consider the size of the town its in) and how all that money is funneled into the University of North Dakota and Grand Forks.

Is that okay with you?

The same could be said for college basketball and football. Valpo is crap for football but attract the basketball crowd, same with FCS teams that are good in football attendance (NDSU) but horrible in basketball attendance (NDSU). If there is a comparasin do it sport by sport to be fair to every school in the nation.

You do not understand the point that I am trying to make. You are counting a sport that only 13 or 15 out of well over a hundred FCS teams has. Does that not give the hockey schools an advantage? And don't say anything about NDSU's basketball attendence being horrible. You need not look past the many skyways of UND to see less-than-stellar attendence. On a nicer note, what was UND's hockey attendence last season?

You do not understand the point that I am trying to make. You are counting a sport that only 13 or 15 out of well over a hundred FCS teams has. Does that not give the hockey schools an advantage? And don't say anything about NDSU's basketball attendence being horrible. You need not look past the many skyways of UND to see less-than-stellar attendence. On a nicer note, what was UND's hockey attendence last season?

The same ndsu idiots that argue that hockey is non-consequential, don't even realize that hockey attracts a higher total attendance than FCS football.

In effect, they are arguing that FCS football - and bison football - is even more irrelevant than college hockey.

• Upvote 3

The same ndsu idiots that argue that hockey is non-consequential, don't even realize that hockey attracts a higher total attendance than FCS football.

In effect, they are arguing that FCS football - and bison football - is more even irrelevant than college hockey.

College hockey is non-consequential, it is just like FCS football. People who went to school somewhere, will generally follow the team. But unlike college basketball or FBS, Hockey and FCS don't have truely national fanbases. Am I going Boston University, Miami, UND, (insert hockey school name here) hats, and shirts throughout the entire country like I will see Notre Dame, Texas, USC, Miami (FL)? Hell no. Am I going to see Appalachian St., Eastern Washington, Montana, Delaware shirts everywhere? Nope. Hence, hockey is no more relevant than FCS. I hope that hockey attracts a higher total attendence, hockey has around 30-40 games a year? Football teams play 11-15 pending playoffs.

I hope that hockey attracts a higher total attendence, hockey has around 30-40 games a year? Football teams play 11-15 pending playoffs.

Just another stupid ass comment.

FCS football stadiums seat 2-10 times more than college hockey. FCS football plays in front of more empty seats than college hockey.

FCS football loses way more money than men's college hockey. Many schools make money on men's college hockey: few make any money on FCS football. Most FCS teams bleed red ink badly.

FCS football is more irrelevant than college hockey - on that we all agree.

Just another stupid ass comment.

FCS football stadiums seat 2-10 times more than college hockey. FCS football plays in front of more empty seats than college hockey.

FCS football loses way more money than men's college hockey. Many schools make money on men's college hockey: few make any money on FCS football. Most FCS teams bleed red ink badly.

FCS football is more irrelevant than college hockey - on that we all agree.

I think a lot more people know about Appalachian St. than know about UND.

I think a lot more people know about Appalachian St. than know about UND.

Yeah, right, they know a lot about ASU. :lol: Even after losing to ASU, the average person in MIchigan thinks Appalachian State is either in West Virginia or Kentucky.

I live within 60 miles of Boone, NC and go weeks without seeing a reminder of Appy's existence. By contrast, the presences of Va Tech and Tennessee colors, both about two hours away, are impossible to avoid.

Appy State alumni certainly turn out for their football games - the campus is awesome in the fall and just a few miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway - but the rest of Appy State athletics is a total afterthough.

Yeah, right, they know a lot about ASU. :lol: Even after losing to ASU, the average person in MIchigan thinks Appalachian State is either in West Virginia or Kentucky.

I live within 60 miles of Boone, NC and go weeks without seeing a reminder of Appy's existence. By contrast, the presences of Va Tech and Tennessee colors, both about two hours away, are impossible to avoid.

Appy State alumni certainly turn out for their football games - the campus is awesome in the fall and just a few miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway - but the rest of Appy State athletics is a total afterthough.

just because nobody knows where it is doesn't mean nobody knows the name. How many times does ESPN remind us of that game against michigan? I'll give you a hint, the number of times the App state/Michigan game is brought up is greater than the number of times UND is brought up. the App State name is synonymous with the underdog victory in college football.

just because nobody knows where it is doesn't mean nobody knows the name. How many times does ESPN remind us of that game against michigan? I'll give you a hint, the number of times the App state/Michigan game is brought up is greater than the number of times UND is brought up. the App State name is synonymous with the underdog victory in college football.

T-shirts with Slippery Rock State and Transylvania State make those schools arguably more famous than Appalachian State, and few people have any clue where any of those three schools are. Because of it's name, people associate Appy State as some sort of backwards place - Boone is more like Boulder, CO than Hazard County, Kentucky.

I would disagree with that. But I guess we'll never know.

I'd think, and I could be wrong, but people all know App St. for what they did to Michigan and to a lesser extent what they did for 3 years in the FCS. They might not know where it is, but they know what they did. They get plastered all over the TV every year during college football season. UND gets on espn when the Frozen Four tournement is on and people might recognize the name, but they don't get that same attention.

... I could be wrong...

Yes, you are.

I have traveled all over the U.S. in the past five years (for work) and everywhere, from an island off Juneau, Alaska to NYC, NY, strangers have spoked to me about Fighting Sioux hockey when I'm wearing FS gear. In addition, invariably, when one of our MANY professional sports alumni, is interviewed by the national media, they give a shout out to UND. I have not doubt the University of North Dakota is better known nationally than Appalachia State.

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/13949-the-power-of-the-sioux-jersey/

Edited by Sioux-cia
  • Upvote 1

Yes, you are.

I have traveled all over the U.S. in the past five years (for work) and everywhere, from an island off Juneau, Alaska to NYC, NY, strangers have spoked to me about Fighting Sioux hockey when I'm wearing FS gear. In addition, invariably, when one of our MANY professional sports alumni, is interviewed by the national media, they give a shout out to UND. I have not doubt the University of North Dakota is better known nationally than Appalachia State.

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/13949-the-power-of-the-sioux-jersey/

The two places you named were Northern cities, Juneau especially should know who the Sioux are because Alaska has a couple of college hockey teams and nothing else really to speak of. In case you were/are unaware, hockey has some significance up there. As for New York, they like their hockey too, Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Bruins, Philidelphia are all close by. A lot of hockey schools out there too. As for the many sioux alum you speak of, sorry bro but not many people watch Versus.

I for one, went on a cruise the year App St. beat Michigan and that was down in the Bahamas. I feel like that might be a more fair objective way of looking at this considering people from all of the country go on cruises. I saw zero UND shirts. I saw 3 Bison shirts, those belonged to me, my mom, and my dad. Several people asked who North Dakota St. was and when I brought up UND having a pretty good hockey school none of them were aware of them either. I saw App. St. shirts on several people and I asked them what it was like to live there, turned out none of them were from there, and they were all just talking because they noticed each other wearing the shirts.

Nationally, App St. football is more well known as a sports team than UND, whether you like it or not. Football is king in the US, and when you do what they did on National television, people remember your name.

The two places you named were Northern cities, Juneau especially should know who the Sioux are because Alaska has a couple of college hockey teams and nothing else really to speak of. In case you were/are unaware, hockey has some significance up there. As for New York, they like their hockey too, Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Bruins, Philidelphia are all close by. A lot of hockey schools out there too. As for the many sioux alum you speak of, sorry bro but not many people watch Versus.

I for one, went on a cruise the year App St. beat Michigan and that was down in the Bahamas. I feel like that might be a more fair objective way of looking at this considering people from all of the country go on cruises. I saw zero UND shirts. I saw 3 Bison shirts, those belonged to me, my mom, and my dad. Several people asked who North Dakota St. was and when I brought up UND having a pretty good hockey school none of them were aware of them either. I saw App. St. shirts on several people and I asked them what it was like to live there, turned out none of them were from there, and they were all just talking because they noticed each other wearing the shirts.

Nationally, App St. football is more well known as a sports team than UND, whether you like it or not. Football is king in the US, and when you do what they did on National television, people remember your name.

Not true. I'm originally from Nashville, when I go home I see people wearing UND t-shirts and hats. When I go to Predators games and wear my Sioux jersey I'm constantly hearing Go Sioux from people as well as catching hell from Gopher and Badger fans. Also, I went to Vegas and Chicago not to long ago and saw at least ten people wearing Fighting Sioux merchandise. Plus we are constantly getting shout outs on NHL broadcasts and in NHL video games. Football is king but hockey has been extremely kind to us and as the NHL continues to gain popularity in the US, UND will only get stronger and stronger.

Well you are correct in that football is king but let's look at it this way: I have yet to meet a single NDSU grad in Colorado, but on the other hand I have met quite a few UND grads (skiing, bars, whatever). I even know of a bar that carries UND football and hockey when possible. UND is not very well known nationally but is sure as hell more well known than NDSU (not talking the state of ND here btw).