SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

Yet the Big Sky is the conference NDSU wanted to be in and was turned down...

That is really not a fair statement. When NDSU and SDSU were "turned down" the Big Sky only needed to add 1 team. They chose Northern Colorado based on geography. When the Montana / Montana State FBS rumors started, they added 5 teams to get the right numbers. Had NDSU and SDSU been available, they would have been accepted. Only in your elitist mind would they would put USD, UND, and SUU athletics in a much better category than NDSU and SDSU! Very similar programs. And don't forget South Dakota turned down the Big Sky! (after going winless in Missouri Valley play, they probably wish they had accepted! They haven't even played the toughest part of their schedule yet!)

Ironically it worked out great for NDSU and SDSU. We now play in the #1 rated FCS conference. The entire stadium is sold out for the year. Have great regional rivals. All of our games are televised with 4 simulcast on ESPN3. We sent nearly 6,000 fans to a USD road game. Won the National Championship. Times are good.

That is really not a fair statement. When NDSU and SDSU were "turned down" the Big Sky only needed to add 1 team. They chose Northern Colorado based on geography. When the Montana / Montana State FBS rumors started, they added 5 teams to get the right numbers. Had NDSU and SDSU been available, they would have been accepted. Only in your elitist mind would they would put USD, UND, and SUU athletics in a much better category than NDSU and SDSU! Very similar programs. And don't forget South Dakota turned down the Big Sky! (after going winless in Missouri Valley play, they probably wish they had accepted! They haven't even played the toughest part of their schedule yet!)

Ironically it worked out great for NDSU and SDSU. We now play in the #1 rated FCS conference. The entire stadium is sold out for the year. Have great regional rivals. All of our games are televised with 4 simulcast on ESPN3. We sent nearly 6,000 fans to a USD road game. Won the National Championship. Times are good.

What part of my factual statement is elitist? I would agree there were points in time NDSU (along with a handful of other schools) would have been accepted into the Big Sky. My comment was that there were times NDSU wanted desperately to be in the Big Sky but they were turned down.

In hindsight, it worked out for NDSU in the end, but at the time there was a lot of nervous people. The attitude shown by NDSU towards the Big Sky is evidence they are still slighted by the rejection. The constant proclamations of how the MVFC is head and shoulders a better conference over the CAA and Big Sky (despite no real track record showing anything remotely resembling that) is real clear evidence of that. With the leadership of that conference, I would temper my expectations (and I won't even get into the Summit....)

87 pages on this thread to a yes or no question? :ohmy:

Putting everything aside...the answer is yes.

Was the biggest sporting event of the year and most antiicipated when I was growing up and was until the series ended.

At this moment both conferences are very good in football. In the more recent history the Big Sky has been a better football conference. I think we can all agree on that. When you look at the big picture I would would take the Big Sky over the Summit in a heartbeat. The loss of Oral Roberts is a huge loss to that league. The Summit better hope they don't lose any more teams because there always seems to be rumors about other teams leaving the Summit too. Time will tell. My opinion is that the Big Sky is much more prestigious conference than the MVFC/Summit combination. I think most athletes would rather travel to Big Sky locations than the alternative. Just my opinion.

At this moment both conferences are very good in football. In the more recent history the Big Sky has been a better football conference. I think we can all agree on that. When you look at the big picture I would would take the Big Sky over the Summit in a heartbeat. The loss of Oral Roberts is a huge loss to that league. The Summit better hope they don't lose any more teams because there always seems to be rumors about other teams leaving the Summit too. Time will tell. My opinion is that the Big Sky is much more prestigious conference than the MVFC/Summit combination. I think most athletes would rather travel to Big Sky locations than the alternative. Just my opinion.

Travel and listening/viewing for fans not to mention players are a bitch for central time zone teams that have to go to the west coast.

Prestigous conference? C'mon, you're talking about mid-major basketball and FCS football conferences. Neither the Summit, nor the Big Sky, are "prestigous" conferences. In any case, had the MVFC shown any interest in UND, you'd be in the MVFC/Summit now. It's just a much better fit. 828 miles to Bozeman from GF, and that's the closest Big Sky school.

Let's put it this way. Back when NDSU was desperately trying to get into the Big Sky, if NDSU would of had the option of the Big Sky or the Summit/MVFC and could of gotten in either they would of taken the Big Sky in a second. If you say otherwise your just not willing to admit the truth.

• Upvote 1

Let's put it this way. Back when NDSU was desperately trying to get into the Big Sky, if NDSU would of had the option of the Big Sky or the Summit/MVFC and could of gotten in either they would of taken the Big Sky in a second. If you say otherwise your just not willing to admit the truth.

No, that is not the truth at all. NDSU pursued the Big Sky option because it offered membership for all sports, not knowing that Gateway/MidCon would be available. Had Gateway membership been an option, NDSU would have taken it over Big Sky.

Travel and listening/viewing for fans not to mention players are a bitch for central time zone teams that have to go to the west coast.

For fans, driving is significantly easier in the MVFC/Summit. Destination wise, I'd give the Big Sky the nod. For players, I would assume it is a wash at worst. I can't imagine sitting in a bus for 10-12 hours is better than flying for 5-6 with a layover or two. I'm not sure the amount of busing vs. flying each school does though, so maybe it doesn't matter.

If you want to talk viewing, despite being in Central/Mountain/Pacific time zone, the Big Sky is head and shoulders above anything the MVFC/Summit offer. Almost all games are offered for free over the internet on Big Sky TV. There is no comparison at all.

For fans, driving is significantly easier in the MVFC/Summit. Destination wise, I'd give the Big Sky the nod. For players, I would assume it is a wash at worst. I can't imagine sitting in a bus for 10-12 hours is better than flying for 5-6 with a layover or two. I'm not sure the amount of busing vs. flying each school does though, so maybe it doesn't matter.

If you want to talk viewing, despite being in Central/Mountain/Pacific time zone, the Big Sky is head and shoulders above anything the MVFC/Summit offer. Almost all games are offered for free over the internet on Big Sky TV. There is no comparison at all.

And how many people do you HONESTLY think sit at their computer desk on a Saturday afternoon/evening and watch? People on messageboards probably would but keep in mind the average fan probably wont. All I know is all NDSU games are on tv right now so I am happy with that, as well as some on ESPN3 if I am really bored.

Wow, that's a first-class rationization! You write off the time zone differerence as insignificant (it's huge), and fail to consider that someone has to pay for those 5 or 6 hours of flying time. Also, what about recruiting areas? I'll take a presence in the Upper Midwest over the western states every time.

It's pretty simple to hook up a HDMI cable from a laptop to a flat screen. I for one love the internet viewing option.

Does the average Joe do that? Does the average Joe even know what an HDMI cable is? Probably not. I enjoy internet viewing as well, most people just don't understand it.

It's pretty simple to hook up a HDMI cable from a laptop to a flat screen. I for one love the internet viewing option.

Internet viewing options? That's Big Sky's advantage over MVFC/Summit? Talk about making long-term decisions for short-term reasons!!

Does the average Joe do that? Does the average Joe even know what an HDMI cable is? Probably not. I enjoy internet viewing as well, most people just don't understand it.

I think most people do understand. I have a 60 yr old dad who understands it. Everything is HDTV nowadays and these are required. Any new laptop has an HDMI out. It is easy to do. Now....LETS MAKE SURE THE WEB VIDEO IS HD!

The time difference is big for both viewing and National recognition. See Cal Poly whom everyone on this site says is getting hosed due to east coast bias. THey probably are because even if they are on tv everyone on the east coast is already in bed.

I call BS on the Time-Zone argument.................

Latest football start time for North Dakota this season has been 8:00 central time.

In the NCC men's basketball games rarely started before 8:30 central................in the Big Sky they will almost always start no later than 8:00 central time except for 3 times per year...............

Wow, that's a first-class rationization! You write off the time zone differerence as insignificant (it's huge), and fail to consider that someone has to pay for those 5 or 6 hours of flying time. Also, what about recruiting areas? I'll take a presence in the Upper Midwest over the western states every time.

NDSU recuits all the way from AZ to Florida this year. That is Coach Cooper's new area so don't pretend like NDSU is recruiting ND, MN and SD. They are still recruiting the same areas that UND is recruiting. Second, you and Dan need to keep telling fans whose programs have been affected by time zones how terrible they are. I personally have loved the road games. I go about my Saturday, get all my !@#$ done and come home and either put the game on the radio or use my HDMI cable and hook it up to my tv. And yes Johnnyboy, I am your average joe and learned how to do that all by myself.

I call BS on the Time-Zone argument.................

Latest football start time for North Dakota this season has been 8:00 central time.

In the NCC men's basketball games rarely started before 8:30 central................in the Big Sky they will almost always start no later than 8:00 central time except for 3 times per year...............

Which is 9pm EST when the game starts and close to midnight when the game ends. Hence the east coast bias everyone on this board is saying is causing schools like Cal Poly to get supposedley hosed with proper recognition.

Which is 9pm EST when the game starts and close to midnight when the game ends. Hence the east coast bias everyone on this board is saying is causing schools like Cal Poly to get supposedley hosed with proper recognition.

Most of the east coast isn't paying attention to west coast FCS football, especially a team that is almost a newcomer to FCS. I'm pretty sure that Eastern Washington is in the same time zone as Cal Poly. They are better known because they won a title, Cal Poly is unknown. The time zone isn't affecting the rankings. The east coast is just too focused on the east coast to notice a new team that should be ranked higher.

Most of the east coast isn't paying attention to west coast FCS football, especially a team that is almost a newcomer to FCS. I'm pretty sure that Eastern Washington is in the same time zone as Cal Poly. They are better known because they won a title, Cal Poly is unknown. The time zone isn't affecting the rankings. The east coast is just too focused on the east coast to notice a new team that should be ranked higher.

Exactly, unless you've won something they won't (because their in bed) pay attention to you. EWU had to win something for people to pay attention.

Whether or not you live on the East coast or the West coast, you can't tell me that it is any easier to watch Old Dominion on TV than it is to watch Cal Poly.

IMO, Cal Poly is not getting hosed as far as polls go or due to which time zone they play in, it is more a function of them not having a consistent record of FCS playoff appearances and little name recognition. Northern Iowa was still ranked in the polls with a 1-4 record. Do you think that is because of their recent history, or because of the time zone they play in?