SiouxSports.com Forum

Ironic, Isn't It?

Chewey

This fight has galvanized solidarity and resolve of the Native Americans, UND Alumni, much of the population of the state and most of the university community and who all support the nickname and logo. The courage and good will shown and shared by all of these parties, especially the Native Americans such as Archie and Steve Fool Bear, Tom Iron, Mr. Chaske, Eunice Davidson and so many others who have fought for their people's right to be heard and for all of us to be heard too, is the foundation upon which to further strengthen and develop solid relationships with the tribes. Does anyone else think it sweet that the fight against not only the perfunctory sham adherence to the surrender agreement's provisions (other than, of course, the drop-dead date of November 30, 2010) but also the surrender agreement itself is the thing that has strengthened relations between the tribal members and UND/Alumni/State and has given the Native Americans a voice in this whole thing when the surrender agreement itself was supposed to have done that?

Truth is stranger than fiction (I wonder if the English profs who have demonstrated against the nickname and logo and who have called students, alumni and Native Americans who support the nickname and logo "racists" know where that line comes from). The reality conveyed above just demonstrates how big of a sham the whole surrender agreement is/was and it speaks volumes about the lack of good faith the SBoHE, Kelley, Faison and others had vis-a-vis its implementation. When the Native Americans, the supposed beneficiaries of the surrender agreement, saw the obvious, they fought like hell and continue to fight like hell to be heard; they have been heard. The white man in the surrender agreement tells the Native Americans that they have a right to be heard but when they want to take steps to be heard the white man puts up every road block to prevent them from being heard; yet, they are heard still and forcefully heard at that.

In many ways, we really should be thanking the anti-nicknamers for the opportunity to have this fight, for it has done much to strengthen ties between UND/Alumni/State and the vast majorities of both tribes. It has done much to prove that the majority of the Native Americans associate with the nickname and logo and are proud of it. We all remember the cries of the indignant white professors and administrators and the handful of Native Americans, like Leigh Jeanotte, when this started: THE NATIVE AMERICANS ARE OFFENDED AND INSULTED BY THE NICKNAME AND LOGO AND THEY MUST GO. Thank you anti-nicknamers for the opportunity to show how big of a lie that was and still is. Thank you for your constantly shifting and bobbing and weaving and back-stepping and side-stepping and factually unsupported and falling flat on your face arguments. They have been and continue to be very helpful.

This whole show has been one big lesson in irony. The English professors and the UND administrators and all of the other anti-nicknamers have lived it and, indeed, have accentuated the concept. F. Scott Fitzgerald couldn't have done a better job himself. I guess they are "educators" after all. I know they have the concepts of propaganda and overstatement and hyperbole down but I wonder if they'll use this example in any first-year writing course when the concept of irony is discussed.

• Upvote 3

Kelly & Faison & the SBOHE still need to step up & show some support - Plus Hoeven - Berg & Conrad - this could be it "The Big Chance"

The SBOHE needs to drop any thoughts of a constitutional challenge & finally ask the NCAA to reconsider - if Standing Rock is still a problem then a Referral vote / Referendum will prove what they want once & for all - I hope we don't need to do this (& this was one of the biggest mistakes the 1st time in the lawsuit) Spirit Lake should have been enough - Standing Rock is too far away & mostly in SD to really care about UND

We need a UNITED (positive) meeting with the NCAA

Nice Post Chewey! +1

I am curious to see what the next play from the anti's will be. Mr. Kelley most be in a lonely place right now. I wonder if he realized that when he crafted "Ignite the Spirit" that it would have a whole different meaning? It sure "Ignited" alot of alumni to support the nickname to the point we are right now. What will come first? A home playoff football game or the resignation of Kelley? My money would be on the football game!

Nice Post Chewey! +1

I am curious to see what the next play from the anti's will be. Mr. Kelley most be in a lonely place right now. I wonder if he realized that when he crafted "Ignite the Spirit" that it would have a whole different meaning? It sure "Ignited" alot of alumni to support the nickname to the point we are right now. What will come first? A home playoff football game or the resignation of Kelley? My money would be on the football game!

Dorgan was brought in to declare amnesty for Kelley and Faison. Since Faison has now been seen wearing a Sioux jersey, I think we know where he personally stands now. :lol:

Nobody is going to get fired over the issue - unless the SBoHE gets the kabosh from the legislature.

I'm am wondering if this meeting was requested by kelly if the intent isn't more to bring in the NC$$ to beat down the gov and legislature. I don see carlson and gov being assisted in any way by the left coast commie. Kelly or the board of highered.

I am EXPECTING dalrymple hoeven berg carlson stenjems to swing a big stick and bury the thing for good.

Dorgan was brought in to declare amnesty for Kelley and Faison. Since Faison has now been seen wearing a Sioux jersey, I think we know where he personally stands now. :lol:

Nobody is going to get fired over the issue - unless the SBoHE gets the kabosh from the legislature.

I will say that we were at the booster lunch for the AA series in January and Faison was wearing a jacket with the Sioux logo there. FWIW.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.und.edu/org/bridges/history.html

While I am not too big on the NCAA stepping on people's toes. This und page sure seems like the nickname has been an issue for too long of a time. Just brings bad press and what not. Maybe just find a nice animal from the plains....excluding my Bison of course haha.

So you are saying, if this would be NDSU's fight, you'd be ready to concede and give up the school nickname (Bison) that you love?

So you are saying, if this would be NDSU's fight, you'd be ready to concede and give up the school nickname (Bison) that you love?

All NDSU fans say they would since its just a name..until it actually becomes a reality. Would the fans of NDSU really cheer for their former nickname (Farmers) in the same spirit as they do now?

All NDSU fans say they would since its just a name..until it actually becomes a reality. Would the fans of NDSU really cheer for their former nickname (Farmers) in the same spirit as they do now?

I am saying, it is a nickname that has brought too much crap onto UND, I dont know if you guys are familiar with that page i put on here, I am guessing you guys know that UND's Brass has been sorta kinda working to get rid of the name for 15 years or so(thats kinda how the page made it sound, I may have misread it). I'm not saying be happy about it, not at all. But is it worth a ton of money in lawyers and fighting a losing battle? I'm not sure about that. As for the Farmers, we are the Agricultural school, I'd prefer to be called the Aggies but it is one in the same. I really like our nickname but I LOVE NDSU and if the powers that be decided we should be the Aggies or Farmers, it'd take a little getting used to, but I think we'd embrace it. Except for LakesBison(check him out on Bisonville, dude should be in the State Hospital in Jamestown, f*ckin crazy), he wouldn't be having it.

• Downvote 1

Except for LakesBison(check him out on Bisonville, dude should be in the State Hospital in Jamestown, f*ckin crazy)

Here it is...the truest statement ever made by a Bison fan on these forums. He should win a free ham or something.

• Upvote 3

There was a post made on bville today under the "Flood" topic. A poster related to a KVLY story regarding a lady losing her business to a breach in the dike. I saw that same story as its posted on their web page. lakesbison made fun of it and laughed. Once an idiot - - - always an idiot.

I am saying, it is a nickname that has brought too much crap onto UND, I dont know if you guys are familiar with that page i put on here, I am guessing you guys know that UND's Brass has been sorta kinda working to get rid of the name for 15 years or so(thats kinda how the page made it sound, I may have misread it). I'm not saying be happy about it, not at all. But is it worth a ton of money in lawyers and fighting a losing battle? I'm not sure about that. As for the Farmers, we are the Agricultural school, I'd prefer to be called the Aggies but it is one in the same. I really like our nickname but I LOVE NDSU and if the powers that be decided we should be the Aggies or Farmers, it'd take a little getting used to, but I think we'd embrace it. Except for LakesBison(check him out on Bisonville, dude should be in the State Hospital in Jamestown, f*ckin crazy), he wouldn't be having it.

Remember you have deemed irrelevant on this board.Don't try and immitate lakes or mnpls bison, just go away.In my mind you will be North Dakota Agricultural College.

There was a post made on bville today under the "Flood" topic. A poster related to a KVLY story regarding a lady losing her business to a breach in the dike. I saw that same story as its posted on their web page. lakesbison made fun of it and laughed. Once an idiot - - - always an idiot.

I read that. He also made fun of Grand Forks losing the flood. Like we tried to lose. What an @sshole.

I read that. He also made fun of Grand Forks losing the flood. Like we tried to lose. What an @sshole.

Yes, what moron makes fun of a natural disaster and how that destroys lives? I am sure karma will be making its rounds with him soon enough (you know .... if you wish or make fun of bad happening to someone else bad usually finds you out, too). There's a strange "He wants you, too, Malachi" "Children of the Corn" reference there.

Lakes Bison is a major D-Bag...

Yes, what moron makes fun of a natural disaster and how that destroys lives? I am sure karma will be making its rounds with him soon enough (you know .... if you wish or make fun of bad happening to someone else bad usually finds you out, too). There's a strange "He wants you, too, Malachi" "Children of the Corn" reference there.

Good points D-Bags like Lakes Bison don't realized that Natural Disasters are times to pull to get and help each other and not act like spoiled brats and do petty things.

• 2 weeks later...

just had a tangental thought occur, maybe all of you would like to comment...

Since the white man did not defeat the Sioux on the Little Bighorn battlefield, but with their paper-pushing lies (Wounded Knee notwithstanding)... The proud passion and strength of the Sioux people is being carried on by the proud men and women who wear the Sioux name and logo for the University of North Dakota today. So many hate being reminded that the Sioux nation was undaunted by the white man and the Sioux athletic teams are likewise undaunted by the NCAA and are also strong and unified on the athletic field. This is especially true for those who claim the symbol of the buffalo as their name on the athletic fields, where the tradition of the Sioux victories over the roaming Bison will continue.

He got banned at Bisonville, makes your karma comment a little bit funny. Specially because it was only a day later.