SiouxSports.com Forum

Open and Transparent ...

The Sicatoka

Well, here it comes, or at least the first stepping stone on the path:

http://nickname.und.edu/logo/?page_id=503

Will fans still be allowed to wear the Fighting Sioux logo on campus and to games?

Yes. The transition will not include any ban on wearing Fighting Sioux clothing. Those fans who choose to wear or display the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo are asked to do so in a manner that is respectful to Native Americans. We anticipate that fans will want to support our student athletes by wearing official team apparel, and we expect to see less and less of the Fighting Sioux branding at athletic events.

Will fans still be allowed to cheer for the Fighting Sioux at games?

Yes. The transition will not include any ban on informal fan cheers that refer to the Fighting Sioux. Those fans who choose to cheer the Fighting Sioux are asked to do so in a manner that is respectful to Native Americans. We anticipate that fans will want to support our student athletes by cheering for UND and North Dakota, and ultimately, for whatever logo and nickname the University chooses.

So, who decides what a " ... manner that is respectful ... " is?

How can I suggest my idea for a new nickname and logo?

When the process for choosing a new nickname and logo is implemented it will be announced to UND students, staff, faculty, alumni, and friends.

Isn't it clever how UND avoids answering this question?

It only says that when UND decides to choose a new nickname, it will tell you about the process it used.

It doesn't say that anyone outside of UND will be part of that process.

" ... the process ... is implemented ... will be announced to UND students, staff, faculty, alumni, and friends."

They'll tell us the process after it's been decided.

Dare I translate that? I'll try ...

...when we want your opinion, we'll give it to you.

You "Spirit" conspiracy theorists out there, you may be onto something:

What will the UND athletic teams wear on their uniforms in 2011-2012?

After August 15, 2011, the University will officially retire the customary use of the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo, as required by the State Board of Higher Education

You "Spirit" conspiracy theorists out there, you may be onto something:

I hate to say ITYS, but...

I still hear people talking about Spirit with the present logo. That is a more acceptable unacceptable conclusion.

(Now I'm talking like Joseph Heller)

Isn't it clever how UND avoids answering this question?

It only says that when UND decides to choose a new nickname, it will tell you about the process it used.

It doesn't say that anyone outside of UND will be part of that process.

" ... the process ... is implemented ... will be announced to UND students, staff, faculty, alumni, and friends."

They'll tell us the process after it's been decided.

Dare I translate that? I'll try ...

...when we want your opinion, we'll give it to you.

I don't totally agree with you here. I understand you to say that when they decide on a nickname they will tell us. My read is it says that when the process of determining a nickname is implemented, we will be informed.

Perhaps I have misunderstood your interpretation, but that's my perception.

A cynical person might interpret the process has predetermining a nickname. I can't say that won't happen.

I'm just hopeful that's not the case. That we'll find out what the process is at the beginning and can watch as things transpire.

Here's what we know:

• At some undetermined time, UND will select "...a new identity around which the entire University of North Dakota community can rally..."

• "The specific approach to choosing a new nickname and logo has not yet been developed."

• "President Kelley will decide when and how to implement the process and, ultimately, will choose the UniversityÂ’s new nickname and logo."

Does what we know fill you with great hope that your opinion will matter?

Here's what we know:

[*]At some undetermined time, UND will select "...a new identity around which the entire University of North Dakota community can rally..."

[*]"The specific approach to choosing a new nickname and logo has not yet been developed."

[*]"President Kelley will decide when and how to implement the process and, ultimately, will choose the University

I'm going to take the high road here and say they aren't going to expect everyone to repaint their tailgating vehicles. It was upsetting to read that someone on one of the committtees shared that the history of the Fighting Sioux needs to become invisible otherwise it will never go away. I don't think a part of UND's history for more than 60 years should ever disappear.

How will a new nickname and logo be chosen?

UND will implement a transparent and inclusive transition process to establish new traditions and a new identity around which the entire University of North Dakota community can rally. The specific approach to choosing a new nickname and logo has not yet been developed. President Kelley will decide when and how to implement the process and, ultimately, will choose the Universitys new nickname and logo.

Great idea! I was hoping our beloved president would pick out a spiffy name for us!

How 'bout the Trumpeters? :ohmy:

Did I read that right, the man that gave up on the Sioux nickname by wanting its retirement before the deadline (Nov 30), is going to pick the name nickname!?! One contemporary man? :angry:

The first step should be emailing State Board of Higher Eds.

The process normally goes something like:

1) Hire a committee of UNDers to submit a list of names to the NDSBHE.

2) NDSBHE votes on a new nickname.

This is the biggest outrage ever. I can't believe they wrote that. Who cares the "process" Kelley uses. In the end it won't matter. He will choose some PC name he likes. Bears, Eagles, Ground Hogs, Elk, Moose, Fish, Sunshine, Snowflakes (oh and you better believe "Spirit" just ain't for marketing. Neither was the "Force.") (although ND Fighting Spirit I like . We have the spirit of fighters :D, but it would never have the word "fighting" in it.)

This deserves its own thread: News Flash (from UND officials)

President Kelley will choose the University’s new nickname and logo.

NO ONE MAN SHOULD HAVE THIS KIND OF POWER!

Did I read that right, the man that gave up on the Sioux nickname by wanting its retirement before the deadline (Nov 30), is going to pick the name nickname!?! One contemporary man? :angry:

This is the biggest outrage ever. I can't believe they wrote that. Who cares the "process" Kelley uses. In the end it won't matter. He will choose some PC name he likes. Bears, Eagles, Ground Hogs, Elk, Moose, Fish, Sunshine, Snowflakes (oh and you better believe "Spirit" just ain't for marketing. Neither was the "Force.") (although ND Fighting Spirit I like . We have the spirit of fighters :D, but it would never have the word "fighting" in it.)

I trust them as much as I trust Kelley. :sad:

However he is the greater of two evils cause he has less affiliation with the university once he is gone. Just another university, just another job!

Here's what we know:

[*]At some undetermined time, UND will select "...a new identity around which the entire University of North Dakota community can rally..."

[*]"The specific approach to choosing a new nickname and logo has not yet been developed."

[*]"President Kelley will decide when and how to implement the process and, ultimately, will choose the University

You've obviously read something wrong because President Kelley didn't take the steps to retire the nickname until the state board told him to. He was doing as he was told by his bosses...you would be expected to do the same. And if you really believe that crap the Douple supposedly told Kolpack, then you're crazier than McFeeley.

In my opinion - we are unnecessarily getting uptight about this issue. Despite what we might think about what has transpired up until now, Kelley and Faison are smart individuals. They know this whole issue has been very controversial. They will not take steps that will further alienate and upset people. That would be totally unproductive - and just plain stupid! Obviously, Kelley, as the president, would be the one who will give the final stamp of approval.

The above being said, I am a strong supporter of keeping the name. I am somewhat encouraged by what the legislature is looking at. Yesterday, I sent this e-mail to all house members. I have heard back from many of them - all responses so far have been positive. I would recommend everyone contacting them as well. See "E-mail ND House ........" thread under "Sioux Name" for their e-mail addresses.

"I am a strong proponent of retaining the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo. I firmly believe that it honors the Sioux name and its people.

I ask that you take the time to fully analyze House Bill 1263 and the ramifications of its passage. If you feel that passage will truly result in the retention of the name in a manner that the NCAA will accept, I strongly urge a "yes" vote. However, if it appears that this would simply "prolong the agony" with the end-result being the same as it is today, let's move on! Thank you for your consideration."

Why does it seem that this has been discussed before and that you basically have predicted some of this mess...

Because I've been a student of the tactics of the politically correct since a $5 million donation was given to UND to support hockey in the late 1980s. It's the same group using the same (all too predictable) tactics.

I'll say it again folks:

If it's going to change, demand, DEMAND, to be part of a truly open and transparent process or you'll get caught with some pablum like "Spirit" or "Whooping Cranes".

Control what is yours to control.

Like they keep telling us ... We are North Dakota ... so we control what's ours to control and we pick the new moniker, not some mystery process.

Like they keep telling us ... We are North Dakota ... so we control what's ours to control and we pick the new moniker, not some mystery process.

I wonder if the Alumni Association will be willing the carry the water for those of us no longer in the Ivy Towers ...

Because I've been a student of the tactics of the politically correct since a $5 million donation was given to UND to support hockey in the late 1980s. It's the same group using the same (all too predictable) tactics.

I'll say it again folks:

If it's going to change, demand, DEMAND, to be part of a truly open and transparent process or you'll get caught with some pablum like "Spirit" or "Whooping Cranes".

I am really not into this SPIRIT think that some have thrown around.