SiouxSports.com Forum

The Wall Street Journal explores college hockey barns

ScottM

This is a great piece.

A few select quotes from the WCHA barns:

North Dakota fan Rick LaFleur admitted recently that when it comes to the intimidation factor, North Dakota's home ice is "vanilla" in comparison to the supercharged atmosphere at Badgers' games, which he described as "double chocolate mocha."

At Ralph Engelstad Arena, the air is sweet with the smell of roasting Bavarian almonds. The floors are marble, chandeliers dangle from the ceilings, mirrors are framed in gold and fireworks go off whenever the Sioux score. Every seat—even in the student section—is extra wide with armrests and cushioning.

(Re: Amsoil) On the walls are quotations from Duluth's two biggest local celebrities: frozen-pizza impresario Jeno Paulucci and Bob Dylan.

The cavernous Mariucci Arena, built in 1993, has become the stuff of legend. It features international-sized ice and 10,000 seats that slope steeply upward for optimum views. But ever since the University's decision to ban alcohol sales in premium sections, suites have been a tough sell, says arena manager Craig Flor. Minnesota President Bob Bruininks said this fall he might start talks to get liquor back for the VIPs.

I've never smelled the Bavarian almonds...must be up in the Suite level :)

...and don't the fireworks only go off after a home win instead of every goal?

The Bavarian almond stand is located on the main concourse. When you walk in the main entrance, take a right and I believe the stand is parked somewhere around section 115. The lady who makes the almonds normally offers a free sample.

One firework goes off after every Sioux goal and multiple fireworks go off after a Sioux win.

Anyway, the article was a nice read.

The Bavarian almond stand is located on the main concourse. When you walk in the main entrance, take a right and I believe the stand is parked somewhere around section 115. The lady who makes the almonds normally offers a free sample.

One firework goes off after every Sioux goal and multiple fireworks go off after a Sioux win.

It's by the student entrance next to the escalator.

Great article.

I've been to five of those rinks, and suprisingly Mariucci isn't one of them. Still need to make that trip sometime.

I was in Northeastern's rink during the famous "fog game" weekend in Boston. It feels like you're walking into a small-town gym, but it's not a bad place for hockey once you get inside. Pretty cool history.

I agree about Alftond arena having the best atmosphere. Very impressed with their student section. I was there the weekend where Stafford scored on a penalty shot in OT on Friday night. Great weekend!

I could walk into the Ralph any time of the year blindfolded, and know I was there. Bavarian Almonds aren't unique, but the smell coming from inside the building is. It's one part sweet, savory almond, and one part vintage hockey. I can't describe it any other way. Even in July it smells that way, but on gameday it's especially there. What's funny is, I just placed a large order from the Sioux shop a month or so ago, and the best part about receiving my items was taking a big whiff in the clothes (I'm weird, I know), and smelling the sweet smell of The Ralph locked inside each shirt.

Definitely can smell the almonds when you come in.

I could walk into the Ralph any time of the year blindfolded, and know I was there. Bavarian Almonds aren't unique, but the smell coming from inside the building is. It's one part sweet, savory almond, and one part vintage hockey. I can't describe it any other way. Even in July it smells that way, but on gameday it's especially there. What's funny is, I just placed a large order from the Sioux shop a month or so ago, and the best part about receiving my items was taking a big whiff in the clothes (I'm weird, I know), and smelling the sweet smell of The Ralph locked inside each shirt.

Whew! I thought I was the only one that loves the smell of the arena.

Minus the smell of the almonds. I love almonds, but cant eat them because of an allergy. I just can't stand the smell of the Bavarian almond stands. I hold my breath when I walk by it.

Bavarian Almonds mixed wth chopped onions from the hot dog condiment row. That's the smell I get. I laughed out loud at the person who went home and took a big whiff from the gift shop bag.

I know the smell....unique to this arena and this arena only. I wish the sold an Air Freshener with the smell. A little foam tree hanging from my steering wheel that smells like The Ralph.