SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 Recruiting

UND Fan

Looking at the verbals we know of and assuming they all sign tomorrow I think there are about 3 or 4 we don't know about yet. I'm also assuming Arp signs. Mussman said we could expect 20-23, including the 3 transfers. Counting Arp, we're currently at 19. I'm also wondering if similar to the last couple years we'll get a few commits after signing day.

I agree, although I'd like to see us get another o-lineman and a running back (other than the fullback that has already verballed).

Yep, I'm still holding out hope that UND can land 1 of 3 RBs from the Mpls area... Antonio Ford (Wayzata) Kendrik Brewster (Cretin-Derham Hall) or Sam Sura (S. St. Paul). I haven't heard that any of them have verballed anywhere at this point. I know UND had some level of interest in each of them in the past, although I haven't seen much lately. Just hoping. Another O-Linemen would be great as well. Great looking class so far though, really addressed some needs.

Yep, I'm still holding out hope that UND can land 1 of 3 RBs from the Mpls area... Antonio Ford (Wayzata) Kendrik Brewster (Cretin-Derham Hall) or Sam Sura (S. St. Paul). I haven't heard that any of them have verballed anywhere at this point. I know UND had some level of interest in each of them in the past, although I haven't seen much lately. Just hoping. Another O-Linemen would be great as well. Great looking class so far though, really addressed some needs.

Per Vic Ames, it sounds like Ford is going the juco route.

My wish list ....1 RB, 3 OL, 1 DB.

Is anyone attending the Signing Day party at Canad Inn? I received an email with all the details. Social hour is at 5:30 pm with a 6:00 program. Also, season ticket holders are eligible to win a trip to the San Diego State Game on September 15th. I would like to go but I have other plans that will not make it possible. Should be a good time though.

Per Vic Ames, it sounds like Ford is going the juco route.

I also thought I heard that Brewster is either a Minn walk on or going to St Thomas. Things would maybe change if we were to offer, but you never know. Also, I remember someone in the comments of the SFI in the fall saying that they thought Sura was going to UND, although I know that currently Ames had an update that he was mulling some FCS destinations. Wonder if we offered a PWO.

For the remaining, I'd like to see one or two more OL, a RB and a CB. It's odd that we could only find a couple offerees in CA this year per the normal recruiting sites, but I'd like to think we'll see one or two from there, one more from MN, and probably one from either IL, AZ or NE. This class seems very solid.

With all of the receivers coming in, is there any thought that UND might be switching to a more wide open passing type attack?

We have 3 coming in. All 3 seem to be taller, more physical WR with decent speed. A problem we had last year is that all of our young wideouts were more suited to line up in the slot. We were lacking the bigger WR and it was a problem when we were in the redzone. I think bringing these guys in was more of a need to add some size. Mussman stated last year that he would like to return to more of a balanced running game after our not so good experiment with the Pistol.

Is there anything to read from having that many athletes sign on? First you have to have room for that many and it is simple as that. Does it mean some kids on the team see the writing on the wall and might be leaving the program. Does it indicate they might be having great success in recruiting? I suppose a person is just going to have to wait and see and not jump to conclusions. My gut feeling tells me recruiting is going great and the future is very bright.

Another thing that I was thinking - with UND going into the Big Sky, I thought we'd see the Cali and Arizona recruiting skyrocket. However, only one Arizona recruit and none from Cali thus far is very surprising to me. Not including PWO or Braden, we have one from ND, three Wisonsin, five from Illinois (including Goard), four from Minnesota, one from Iowa, one from Nebraska, one from Nevada and one from Arizona. Seems we moved more Midwest this year than West. I found it intriguing.

The only thing I can come up with that is really different is the number of kids from Illinois and less kids from Minnesota.(Gophers are hitting their own state better now) If one of your coaches has connections to Illinois and is successful you go where you can get recruits. All that matters is whether you are getting good recruits.

The only thing I can come up with that is really different is the number of kids from Illinois and less kids from Minnesota.(Gophers are hitting their own state better now) If one of your coaches has connections to Illinois and is successful you go where you can get recruits. All that matters is whether you are getting good recruits.

It's been known that Luke Schleussner was doing the recruiting in Illinois this year. He was on the staff at Western Illinois for a few years after his playing days at UND, so he was obviusly utilizing his connections in that state. Nice to see new recruiting areas open up.

Another thing that I was thinking - with UND going into the Big Sky, I thought we'd see the Cali and Arizona recruiting skyrocket. However, only one Arizona recruit and none from Cali thus far is very surprising to me. Not including PWO or Braden, we have one from ND, three Wisonsin, five from Illinois (including Goard), four from Minnesota, one from Iowa, one from Nebraska, one from Nevada and one from Arizona. Seems we moved more Midwest this year than West. I found it intriguing.

Yeah, thought for sure going into this year that AZ & Cali would be heavily cencentrated on. I've been expecting us to hit Colorado a little more going forward as well. We've got a few players from there in year's past. Thought that since it's in the Big Sky footprint, there is direct flights from Denver to GFK and the fact that it's drivable in a day to GF (albeit a very boring drive) that would help get some interest from Colo kids. Usually there is pretty good talent in the Denver metro area & other parts of the state. Perhaps it was a down year for talent in Colo this year, I don't know...

In a way, it's frustrating that so many good FCS prospects are choosing to walk on at Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, etc. On the other hand, the ND FCS schools are also benefitting by the decisions of many of the area's best players to walk on rather than accept scholarship money from an NSIC school. In the past, I would not have expected to get players the quality of Schwarzkopf, Coyle, Arp or Larson to walk on.

In a way, it's frustrating that so many good FCS prospects are choosing to walk on at Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, etc. On the other hand, the ND FCS schools are also benefitting by the decisions of many of the area's best players to walk on rather than accept scholarship money from an NSIC school. In the past, I would not have expected to get players the quality of Schwarzkopf, Coyle, Arp or Larson to walk on.

I don't disagree with that at all. It would have been wonderful to have Sam Foltz, Dylan Utter, Ben Holcombe, etc., but adding those ND kids as PWO is very good. I don't know much about Coyle (or the two Jakes), but I think that Schwarzkopf, Arp and Larson could be very good gets.