SiouxSports.com Forum

The Road to Redemption

Cratter

The Road to Redemption

He packed up and moved back home to Edmonton, Alberta, to ponder his future. And while UND left the door open for his return in 2010-11, it seemed likely that his time in Grand Forks was finished.

After all, the easy route was for Frattin to cash in on the NHL contract that the Toronto Maple Leafs offered and pick up his hockey career right away in the pro ranks.

Frattin thought about it, and took a different path. He decided to change his lifestyle, sit out for up to a year and attempt to return to UND to make things right.

Frattin is the nation
  • Upvote 1

A great article. A lot kids would have probably just took the money and laughed at the fact that he got in trouble while in college. Now he is a Hobey Baker candidate having a tremendous season on a team that could do some special things at the end of the year.

A great article. A lot kids would have probably just took the money and laughed at the fact that he got in trouble while in college. Now he is a Hobey Baker candidate having a tremendous season on a team that could do some special things at the end of the year.

I will be interesting to see how his off ice character plays out in his hobey consideration. His past mistakes are part and parcel of what makes his character so admirable now. I think it should be a big plus.

I will be interesting to see how his off ice character plays out in his hobey consideration. His past mistakes are part and parcel of what makes his character so admirable now. I think it should be a big plus.

I was thinking same thing when I was out jogging...

This article definitely has to at least help his hobey reputation a little bit. While I think many of us assumed that he'd turned his life around to get back on the team, I'm guessing not everyone was so willing to believe that. Until this article, some people probably thought that just because he hasn't gotten into trouble again since being back doesn't mean he actually made lifestyle changes. But this pretty much clears up any debate on the issue. I love Hak's quote about how wrong everyone is who thinks Frattin got back on the team because of scoring goals.

I disagree. How can you put Matt Frattin ahead of someone who NEVER made mistakes like he did, just because he overcame problems. I find that a bit disrespectful to the athletes that have kept their noses clean from day one.

• Downvote 2

I disagree. How can you put Matt Frattin ahead of someone who NEVER made mistakes like he did, just because he overcame problems. I find that a bit disrespectful to the athletes that have kept their noses clean from day one.

Whether you make mistakes early in life or later in life isn't the question. The question is how you DEAL with the mistakes you make in life. It is a matter of character, and Mr. Frattin is showing a LOT of the right stuff. Oh yes, a kid who keeps his nose clean also shows the right character...but is his any better? Did Hobey Baker go through life without making any mistakes? Likely not. But ask yourself, if Hobey had found himself in Matt Frattin's shoes, which path would he follow?

Attitude, character, and great hockey skill are the attributes the Hobey committee look for. Not saying Matt Frattin is a shoe-in Hobey candidate beyond any out there this season, but he should certainly not be excluded by default because of the mistakes he has overcome.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Whether you make mistakes early in life or later in life isn't the question. The question is how you DEAL with the mistakes you make in life. It is a matter of character, and Mr. Frattin is showing a LOT of the right stuff. Oh yes, a kid who keeps his nose clean also shows the right character...but is his any better? Did Hobey Baker go through life without making any mistakes? Likely not. But ask yourself, if Hobey had found himself in Matt Frattin's shoes, which path would he follow?

Attitude, character, and great hockey skill are the attributes the Hobey committee look for. Not saying Matt Frattin is a shoe-in Hobey candidate beyond any out there this season, but he should certainly not be excluded by default because of the mistakes he has overcome.

You're completly missing the point. The point is, you guys think it should be to Matt's advantage that he overcame problems when other athletes don't put themselves in a position to have to overcome the same situations Matt had to.

I think it's awesome Matt turned his life around the way he did. It's very commendable. I just think it's being assinine to the other athletes who never put themselves in those tough situations to say that Matt should have an advantage in Hobey voting because of what he managed to overcome.

• Upvote 1

That response is why I think it will be interesting to see how they treat him. It's a valid point.

In my old age, I have come to appreciate and admire those who manage to overcome faults, even significant ones. Most of us do not change much, sadly.

Some (like HG) make a good point that if another player is as good on the ice and has managed to get where Matt is without detour, that player deserves it as much or more. But if Matt keeps up the stellar play, I hope his past is seen only as a measure of how far he has come.

That response is why I think it will be interesting to see how they treat him. It's a valid point.

In my old age, I have come to appreciate and admire those who manage to overcome faults, even significant ones. Most of us do not change much, sadly.

Some (like HG) make a good point that if another player is as good on the ice and has managed to get where Matt is without detour, that player deserves it as much or more. But if Matt keeps up the stellar play, I hope his past is seen only as a measure of how far he has come.

Thank you for an intelligent response. I commend Matt very much for what he did, and he's reaping his own rewards because of it.

I'm not saying Matt shouldn't be in the Hobey talks, but to actually say it's possible that a voter could look at Matt's story and give him an advantage in voting because of it is wrong.

You're completly missing the point. The point is, you guys think it should be to Matt's advantage that he overcame problems when other athletes don't put themselves in a position to have to overcome the same situations Matt had to.

I think it's awesome Matt turned his life around the way he did. It's very commendable. I just think it's being assinine to the other athletes who never put themselves in those tough situations to say that Matt should have an advantage in Hobey voting because of what he managed to overcome.

Honestly, I don't think I said it should give him ANY advantage, other than now we know a bit more about how he handles adversity that he's brought into his own life. What I was really trying to say is that I don't feel that, in seeing what we've seen of his character in overcoming the obstacles he has, that ANY of these obstacles should count as a knock against him.

No advantage, no black mark either.

I don't think that slights any other athlete in the least.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thank you for an intelligent response. I commend Matt very much for what he did, and he's reaping his own rewards because of it.

I'm not saying Matt shouldn't be in the Hobey talks, but to actually say it's possible that a voter could look at Matt's story and give him an advantage in voting because of it is wrong.

agree 100% with hg. also it should be the same way when flipping the situation in regards to is past troubles with voters. the award is for 2010/2011 hockey season and so far matt is a hobey hattrick guy, if he keeps it up he may be the 3rd ever sioux player to win the hobey.

hell in the last year with the sioux crest why not make a stamp on the record books with a hobey, wcha title, final 5 title and #8 to cap it all off close by in st paul!

great story!!!

Well said. Who's to say that someone who had never made mistakes is just someone who was never caught? Einstein said, "Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." By acknowledging his mistakes and taking steps to change not what he has done but who he is, Matt is on the journey to be both.

hell in the last year with the sioux crest why not make a stamp on the record books with a hobey, wcha title, final 5 title and #8 to cap it all off close by in st paul!

As long as we're drawing for a straight flush, how 'bout the Sioux end the gophers' season too.

Well said. Who's to say that someone who had never made mistakes is just someone who was never caught? Einstein said, "Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." By acknowledging his mistakes and taking steps to change not what he has done but who he is, Matt is on the journey to be both.

I agree!!! I like the fact that he owned up for his mistakes and worked his butt off to be a fighting Sioux hockey players again and he didn't go running off to the AHL/NHL... To me that speaks of his character and makes him worthy of being a Hobey Baker candidate. There is also an old saying "Let He Who is Without Sin Cast the First Stone."

OK. Let's try this. Assuming Matt and another player are absolutely equal on the ice this year. A virtual tie. Their academics and other off-ice considerations are also a virtual tie. Both players have shown superior character this year. The only difference is Matt's past. Do you take it into account. If so, does it tip the scale for or against him? Forget for a moment that such a perfect tie will never happen.

OK. Let's try this. Assuming Matt and another player are absolutely equal on the ice this year. A virtual tie. Their academics and other off-ice considerations are also a virtual tie. Both players have shown superior character this year. The only difference is Matt's past. Do you take it into account. If so, does it tip the scale for or against him? Forget for a moment that such a perfect tie will never happen.

The fact that Matt lost his scholarship and is now paying 3 times the resident tuition is huge. That's determination.

My take on the Hobey Baker Committee is that it would definitely work against him. :(

For the record, I didn't intend for it to sound like frattin's chances were better than other players who didn't go through similar issues. What I meant was, that, by having his story told and giving the public a few more details about the entire process, I think he improves his chances compared to if it were still more hush-hush. There are other players (who didn't have the same journey) with tremendous character and determination. My only thought was that hopefully, the article (and more clarity on the situation itself) helps reduce the chance that his previous problems are held against him.

For the record, I didn't intend for it to sound like frattin's chances were better than other players who didn't go through similar issues. What I meant was, that, by having his story told and giving the public a few more details about the entire process, I think he improves his chances compared to if it were still more hush-hush. There are other players (who didn't have the same journey) with tremendous character and determination. My only thought was that hopefully, the article (and more clarity on the situation itself) helps reduce the chance that his previous problems are held against him.

This makes sense and I agree with it completely. Matt definitely went through tough times, and his taken every measure to turn his own self-inflicted situation around...and has been resoundingly successful in doing so. You can't take that away from Matt. However, you can't change the fact that at times in the past, Frats wasn't the same person.

I'm not sure how the Hobey committee will look at it, but they definitely need to take into account the type of person Matt turned himself into. I just don't agree with the idea of giving him a leg-up on others because of his perserverence to overcome his battles when they were situations one shouldn't be in to begin with.

Let's just hope he stays just as hot for the second half, because that means big success for UND and Matt.

Little late to comment on this atricle, but was excellant. My 10 year old daughter read it yesterday morning that sparked a conversation between us about committment, responsibility, accountability, and doing the right thing in the midst of adversity. In today's society, of me, me, me and of taking the easy way out, it wasgood to read about Matt and how he handled the events of last year to become who he is today. Kudos...

That's exactly the complaint of the brother of the Prodigal Son.

Which, of course, does not mean the Prodigal Son should have won the Hobey. He had incredible linemates.

Matt took a trememdous negative in his life and turned his life around for the better. According to the article, he's still working on bettering himself. I have to hope that the committee looks at that and sees that at the very least the negative has been cancelled out by his actions after 'hitting bottom'. At the most, I hope the committee looks at what he's done after his fu's and gives him a point or two over the guy who has never had to work himself up from the bottom. Who's to say that 'perfect' guy has the cojones to do it. Matt's proven he does. To even be considered as a HB candidate is a big deal.

We have two players who have overcome tremendous adversities who should be HB candidates, Frattin and Genoway!

'You've come a long way, baby!'