SiouxSports.com Forum

For your consideration

Dave Berger

Public Opinion on UND Pilots  

59 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the name Pilots for UND's athletic teams?

• Best name I've heard
    • I'd like this to be one of the finalists
    • Not one of my favorites, but I've heard worse
    • It will never get off the ground

I think that two word names are a must for cadence with the two words of North Dakota...

What about the Dust Devils...you could make a cool logo out of that, it fits the prairie, and is two words...

Logo could be a mean looking devil coming out of a tornado...Devils for short...

Aviators has the same number of syllables as North Dakota. That would give you the cadence you mentioned.

I like the idea of a prairie theme also, but not crazy about Dust Devils, or using Devils for short. Plus it could become an issue for some in the religious community.

Aviators has the same number of syllables as North Dakota. That would give you the cadence you mentioned.

I like the idea of a prairie theme also, but not crazy about Dust Devils, or using Devils for short. Plus it could become an issue for some in the religious community.

Well South Park voted on Turd Sandwich vs Giant Douche...But John Hill is already the Giant Douche and the Gofer program is currently a Turd Sandwich...I guess neither of those will work... :lol:

We have to pick something that's "diverse" and "inclusive" don'cha know or din'cha hear? ;)

There's more than just and aviation school at UND.

This notion: FAIL.

Diverse and also inclusive is a pretty high bar. It will get you something like the Human Being mascot on the TV show "Community".

I'm just parrotting the "wise and knowing" crowd that got us here. {puke}

I don't remember anyone saying that the name had to be both diverse and inclusive. I believe that both terms, or something like them, were used to describe the process. Something like "there is a lot of diversity in the different groups of stakeholders for the University of North Dakota and we want to make sure that they are all included in the process so that they are able to provide feedback". Not exactly the same. One says "we want to find some 'ideal' name that everyone will love" which guarantees that noone will like it. The other says "we want to give everyone a chance to have a say and then we will pick the best from everything that is said". It doesn't guarantee a great name but it leaves the possibility open.