SiouxSports.com Forum

For your consideration

Dave Berger

Public Opinion on UND Pilots  

59 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the name Pilots for UND's athletic teams?

• Best name I've heard
    • I'd like this to be one of the finalists
    • Not one of my favorites, but I've heard worse
    • It will never get off the ground

I don't remember anyone saying that the name had to be both diverse and inclusive. I believe that both terms, or something like them, were used to describe the process. Something like "there is a lot of diversity in the different groups of stakeholders for the University of North Dakota and we want to make sure that they are all included in the process so that they are able to provide feedback". Not exactly the same. One says "we want to find some 'ideal' name that everyone will love" which guarantees that noone will like it. The other says "we want to give everyone a chance to have a say and then we will pick the best from everything that is said". It doesn't guarantee a great name but it leaves the possibility open.

The outgoing wasn't "diverse and inclusive" so it had to go according to the "wise and knowing".

Given the power ceded to them already, they'll want say over the new moniker.

The outgoing wasn't "diverse and inclusive" so it had to go according to the "wise and knowing".

Given the power ceded to them already, they'll want say over the new moniker.

Not being "diverse and inclusive" wasn't why your so-called "wise and knowing" wanted the nickname gone. They believed that the "underprivledged and downtrodden", specifically the Native Americans, were being taken advantage of and marginalized. They consider NA nicknames dehumanizing and racist. They went after all Native American nicknames at the collegiate level, not just the Fighting Sioux nickname (although there were local people that just worried about the local name). If they wanted to end nicknames that weren't diverse and/or inclusive they could have gone after a bunch of other names.

A lot of people are going to have input into a new name. The people in charge are going to determine how the new name is chosen. That is part of their job, to decide how things are run. Your paranoia about the "wise and knowing" is going to cause you a lot of problems if you don't get it under control.

I know the Force is being used by Fargos Junior hockey team, but i still like that as one of the finalists. every good nickname is gonna be used by some team. I dont think we should care about a junior hockey league team that has only been around for a few years. Or we could change it up by going with "Force of the North" or "Northern Force"

Not being "diverse and inclusive" wasn't why your so-called "wise and knowing" wanted the nickname gone. They believed that the "underprivledged and downtrodden", specifically the Native Americans, were being taken advantage of and marginalized. They consider NA nicknames dehumanizing and racist. They went after all Native American nicknames at the collegiate level, not just the Fighting Sioux nickname (although there were local people that just worried about the local name). If they wanted to end nicknames that weren't diverse and/or inclusive they could have gone after a bunch of other names.

82SiouxGuy, are Leigh Jeanotte?!?!? :huh: Oh wait, the "wise and knowing" doesn't fit him. My bad...continue on!

82SiouxGuy, are Leigh Jeanotte?!?!? :huh: Oh wait, the "wise and knowing" doesn't fit him. My bad...continue on!

I didn't say that they were right, just pointing out what their thought process was. You've got to know what the enemy is thinking so that you understand how to counteract them.

Your paranoia about the "wise and knowing" is going to cause you a lot of problems if you don't get it under control.

It's not paranoia when you see Kelley stacking current committees with anti-Sioux moniker folks. The latest was last week's committee that's asking local businesses to also drop the use of the word Sioux. That's classic "wise and knowing" (aka academic elite mindset) move. Yeah, I can really see Siouxland Buffalo changing it's name to make Dr. Kelley and Leigh Jeanotte happy.

Given that non-sense, I can't wait to see who's on the moniker committee.

The people in charge are going to determine how the new name is chosen. That is part of their job, to decide how things are run. Your paranoia about the "wise and knowing" is going to cause you a lot of problems if you don't get it under control.

The "people in charge" of the Big Ten thought divisions called "Legends" and "Leaders" were a great idea. That doesn't give me a lot of hope.

Let's see ...

Q6: How will a new nickname and logo be chosen?

UND will implement a transparent and inclusive transition process to establish new traditions and a new identity around which the entire University of North Dakota community can rally. The specific approach to choosing a new nickname and logo has not yet been developed.

Inclusive. Check.

"The entire ... community" ... not quite exactly "diverse" but I'll give it a check-minus.

So far, that process is shaping up to be every bit as "transparent" and "inclusive" as the one used to get rid of the current Fighting Sioux nickname and logo.

And if the "entire" UND "community" must support the nickname, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which special interest group will have veto power over anything it doesn't like.

It's not paranoia when you see Kelley stacking current committees with anti-Sioux moniker folks. The latest was last week's committee that's asking local businesses to also drop the use of the word Sioux. That's classic "wise and knowing" (aka academic elite mindset) move. Yeah, I can really see Siouxland Buffalo changing it's name to make Dr. Kelley and Leigh Jeanotte happy.

Given that non-sense, I can't wait to see who's on the moniker committee.

The "people in charge" of the Big Ten thought divisions called "Legends" and "Leaders" were a great idea. That doesn't give me a lot of hope.

Stacked with anti-Sioux moniker folks? You mean people like Bruce Smith and Charlie Bridgeford and Tim O'Keefe?

Honoring History and Traditions | Task Group Members

Bruce Smith, Co-Chair

Kris Compton, Co-Chair

Charlie Bridgeford

Julie Evans

Kara Fisher

Bill Gourneau

Jayson Hajdu

Birgit Hans

Grant Hauschild

Casey Hayden

Thomasine Heitkamp

Sue Jeno

Eric Lunn

Linda Neuerburg

Lindsey Mortinson

Tim O

Birgit Hans?

BJ Rainbow?

What are their qualifications to be on any such committee, other than to appease certain (overrepresented, or is it overinfluential) sectors?

Bruce Smith? The same Bruce Smith who touted his willingness to drop the Fighting Sioux nickname as a reason for him to succeed Kupchella? Yeah, that guy as co-chair of the committee certainly gives no reason for paranoia.

The average fan is underrepresented on that list.

The average fan is losing the most, and that includes their "voice" in this change.

The committee may not be stacked per se, but it sure has folks that seem willing to kowtow to a minority of a minority.

Birgit Hans?

BJ Rainbow?

What are their qualifications to be on any such committee, other than to appease certain (overrepresented, or is it overinfluential) sectors?

Bruce Smith? The same Bruce Smith who touted his willingness to drop the Fighting Sioux nickname as a reason for him to succeed Kupchella? Yeah, that guy as co-chair of the committee certainly gives no reason for paranoia.

The average fan is underrepresented on that list.

The average fan is losing the most, and that includes their "voice" in this change.

The committee may not be stacked per se, but it sure has folks that seem willing to kowtow to a minority of a minority.

How do you go about defining an "average fan"? And how do you choose one or 2 to be on such a committee? How many should be on such a committee? What are their qualifications for being on such a committee? And I don't buy that the "average fan" is losing the most in this. This is about the University of North Dakota, what they have to do and what is best for the University.

You're acting like this committee is the group that decided to get rid of the nickname. They are just working out the details for an issue that was decided by many others. UND isn't going to keep the nickname in any public way, doing so would hurt any chance of tranistioning to a new nickname. This committee is figuring out how to make that change. The committee has a wide variety of people on it, from different parts of the University. That includes people that didn't like the Fighting Sioux nickname and those that did. Their qualifications often are that they represent a segment of the University, probably have an interest in the topic and are willing to get involved. No one is going to totally agree with the makeup of the committee, but I don't think it's too bad.

And I'm willing to listen to what Dr. Bruce Smith, former All-American football player at UND, has to say on the topic. He has a major interest in making this transition go as smoothly as it can. He also got his doctorate from Florida State so he is probably familiar with their situation also.

How do you go about defining an "average fan"? And how do you choose one or 2 to be on such a committee? How many should be on such a committee? What are their qualifications for being on such a committee? And I don't buy that the "average fan" is losing the most in this. This is about the University of North Dakota, what they have to do and what is best for the University.

You're acting like this committee is the group that decided to get rid of the nickname. They are just working out the details for an issue that was decided by many others. UND isn't going to keep the nickname in any public way, doing so would hurt any chance of tranistioning to a new nickname. This committee is figuring out how to make that change. The committee has a wide variety of people on it, from different parts of the University. That includes people that didn't like the Fighting Sioux nickname and those that did. Their qualifications often are that they represent a segment of the University, probably have an interest in the topic and are willing to get involved. No one is going to totally agree with the makeup of the committee, but I don't think it's too bad.

And I'm willing to listen to what Dr. Bruce Smith, former All-American football player at UND, has to say on the topic. He has a major interest in making this transition go as smoothly as it can. He also got his doctorate from Florida State so he is probably familiar with their situation also.

I am an average fan, just the right amount overweight and balding 40+ alumni...for me, the battle was lost when the nickname went away...now it's all about fighting over the scraps...for what it's worth, Sic is spot on...Fighting Sioux Forever!

I am an average fan, just the right amount overweight and balding 40+ alumni...for me, the battle was lost when the nickname went away...now it's all about fighting over the scraps...for what it's worth, Sic is spot on...Fighting Sioux Forever!

Just the fact that we participate on a sports forum probably disqualifies almost everyone on here as an average fan.

I don't believe we will nor are we required to choose a nickname by next year. Pilots is like many of the names out there. Nothing will generate much enthusiasm until a healing period of several years go by without a nickname. Then it will become more acceptable to support and develop a new logo and nickname.

My vote is for Fighting Norse. Instead of a side profile of a Sioux warrior use the side profile of a Viking warrior. Sioux and Norse are both one syllable long. Scott Hennen, Jr can still bark out his "here comes your "FIGHTING NORSSSSSSSSE!" Most of all the other choices suck and too pc. In two year I hope if I have to change my screen names from Siouxfan97, I hope I have to change it to Norsefan97 instead of Sodbuster97, Roughnecks97, Pilots97, Green Sox97, or all the other dumb ass names out there.

my two cents

My vote is for Fighting Norse. Instead of a side profile of a Sioux warrior use the side profile of a Viking warrior. Sioux and Norse are both one syllable long. Scott Hennen, Jr can still bark out his "here comes your "FIGHTING NORSSSSSSSSE!" Most of all the other choices suck and too pc. In two year I hope if I have to change my screen names from Siouxfan97, I hope I have to change it to Norsefan97 instead of Sodbuster97, Roughnecks97, Pilots97, Green Sox97, or all the other dumb ass names out there.

my two cents

You left out Spirit97. :)

I don't believe we will nor are we required to choose a nickname by next year. Pilots is like many of the names out there. Nothing will generate much enthusiasm until a healing period of several years go by without a nickname. Then it will become more acceptable to support and develop a new logo and nickname.

I agree, I wasn't suggesting that we would have a new nickname by next year. However, since the process will begin sometime next year, I think it's important to frame the discussion around the various factors (colors, gender equity, marketing, uniqueness, etc.) that will be in play.

I understand the sentiment of "Fighting Sioux forever, they'll never get me to take off my jersey", but the fact remains that the University of North Dakota will be called something else, and I think that all of the possible "something elses" should be compared with each other, and not (unfairly) compared to the name Fighting Sioux.

Dave

I agree, I wasn't suggesting that we would have a new nickname by next year. However, since the process will begin sometime next year, I think it's important to frame the discussion around the various factors (colors, gender equity, marketing, uniqueness, etc.) that will be in play.

I understand the sentiment of "Fighting Sioux forever, they'll never get me to take off my jersey", but the fact remains that the University of North Dakota will be called something else, and I think that all of the possible "something elses" should be compared with each other, and not (unfairly) compared to the name Fighting Sioux.

Dave

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you in what you said in the quote above...it's just that the majority don't believe Pilots is a good nickname to be that future replacement.