SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota @ NDSU

bincitysioux

Just a couple thoughts here....

NDSU was much more athletic than UND. UND needs a few more big athletic types.

Horrible shooting by the Bison in the first half better improve for the conference season or it could cause some problems. The atmosphere seemed pretty dead to me.

I expected a more electric atmosphere since this game had not been played for so long........but the teams were rather flat......and so was the entire crowd. Much more intensity for the ORU match up (although less attendance). Hell, I drove all the way from WYO for this one......but maybe this "former" rivalry is on life support or dead. meh.

I wonder if the rivalry can ever be the same way it used to be. I am sure the fanbase will get reaquainted with the rivalry at some point, but if the players don't have as big of a stake in the rivalry, I wonder if that will deter the fans from getting into it as much as they used to. When the players were bitter rivals it kind of carried over to the fans. With fewer North Dakotans on each team, and really not many of those players knowing about or experiencing the bitterness, I wonder how it can ever be the same. The days of both schools being composed of mostly North Dakotans is over. We are just as likely to have surfer dudes from California who are oblivious to the hatred they should be feeling, as we are to have corn-fed farmer's or rancher's kids who would like nothing more than to knock the snot out of the city boys that are on the opposition. I hope I am wrong and that once it is ongoing again that regardless of where the players are from, it can be imparted to them what it means, and they will respond in kind. But somehow I think the Fire and Ice days of Rocky Hager and Roger Thomas are gone forever, and that is kind of sad. To be honest, I'm not sure if a lot of rivalries are like they were before simply because of apathy, both from the athletes and the fans.

I wonder if the rivalry can ever be the same way it used to be. I am sure the fanbase will get reaquainted with the rivalry at some point, but if the players don't have as big of a stake in the rivalry, I wonder if that will deter the fans from getting into it as much as they used to. When the players were bitter rivals it kind of carried over to the fans. With fewer North Dakotans on each team, and really not many of those players knowing about or experiencing the bitterness, I wonder how it can ever be the same. The days of both schools being composed of mostly North Dakotans is over. We are just as likely to have surfer dudes from California who are oblivious to the hatred they should be feeling, as we are to have corn-fed farmer's or rancher's kids who would like nothing more than to knock the snot out of the city boys that are on the opposition. I hope I am wrong and that once it is ongoing again that regardless of where the players are from, it can be imparted to them what it means, and they will respond in kind. But somehow I think the Fire and Ice days of Rocky Hager and Roger Thomas are gone forever, and that is kind of sad. To be honest, I'm not sure if a lot of rivalries are like they were before simply because of apathy, both from the athletes and the fans.

Totally agree, those days of energy leading up to the "big" game are probably over. Hope we stay with it to see if we can bring it back. The lack of ND and NW Minn. kids on either roster changes things.

On the positive side, the Minot St./U. of Mary rivalry should be good again in a couple years when they are back in the same conference. They'll both have a number of ND kids on their rosters. ;)

I expected a more electric atmosphere since this game had not been played for so long........but the teams were rather flat......and so was the entire crowd. Much more intensity for the ORU match up (although less attendance). Hell, I drove all the way from WYO for this one......but maybe this "former" rivalry is on life support or dead. meh.

I wasn't there, but watching the webcast and listening to the audio, it seemed like the atmosphere was pretty good during the first half..................................I'm not surprised the 2nd half would be sterile when there was usually a 20 point lead for one team over the other. Regardless, when nearly 11,000 people want to watch a virtually meaningless basketball game between two teams that normally draw a couple thousand, that tells me the rivalry isn't quite dead or on life-support yet.

I was very impressed with the Sioux defense in the first half. They were the reason the bison had such poor ball movement. I have no idea why they stunk so badly in the 2nd. Yes the bison shot better but there was an obvious difference in the play of UND also.

Its called 5th years senior playing against freshman. No one expected the Sioux to hang with the Bison in this game so why is everyone jumping on the players and coaches. It just showed in the first half that this team down the road can be very good. UND had no practice in this dome and if you ever played basketball shooting in this type of setting is very difficult. Im sure the Bison practiced for several days and got used to the back grounds. So many of you call yourself fans and just cant wait to butcher the players and coaches. All these players are solid players that just need experiences like last night to improve. To me the guards are still playing selfish and taking alot of bad shots. There are always open guys when they drive and force up shots. This is the one area the coaches need to make sure this does not happen as often. Wilmer showed his potential as a big man but still has work. Once Clausen is healthy and Allard gets going for league action they will be right there this year. The guards can shoot and will eventually find their touch. Go Sioux

Just a couple thoughts here....

NDSU was much more athletic than UND. UND needs a few more big athletic types.

Pretty much everyone knew this even before the game. Outside the guard position, UND doesn't have athleticism.

Horrible shooting by the Bison in the first half better improve for the conference season or it could cause some problems. The atmosphere seemed pretty dead to me.

Would venture to quess that the Bison football loss totally deflated the spirit of the game. For Bison fans, it was probably more like a funeral. If the Bison would have won, the game atmosphere would have been party-time.

That aside, there was a nice little slam on Chapman in today's Forum: :lol:

Schnepf: Not quite a perfect day

Although Taylor wouldn’t say how much the Bison will pocket, you can bet the net profit will more than rival the $58,000 guarantee the Bison got when they played at the University of Minnesota last month.

“Economically, it certainly is a plus,” said Phillips, who during his previous three seasons at NDSU has always wanted to play the Sioux.

If former NDSU President Joseph Chapman would’ve realized it, a gate like this would’ve helped pay for his back porch for the school’s million-dollar home.

• Downvote 1

Virg Foss makes me puke. He is old, senile.....and I suspect he pisses his pants.

Sorry pa,l but that was a cheap shot and uncalled for. He wrote a column and criticized NDSU fans for not supporting their FB team better in the playoff game at the dome. Reasonable criticism and should have come form the guys at The Forum. I was surprised it wasn't sold out. That is what Sportswiters do, report on things, comment on things and creat discussion and controversy. Say you don't like him or criticize his column and even puke on your spider man jammies but don't call him senile or comment on his waterworks. That shows a lack of class. You have had a number of pretty reasonable posts but this is in fact an older guy. Ignore him, criticise his column but even an AC ggrad should know better. Hope you were able to get to the FB game yesterday. Thought they had it won.

Its called 5th years senior playing against freshman. No one expected the Sioux to hang with the Bison in this game so why is everyone jumping on the players and coaches. It just showed in the first half that this team down the road can be very good. UND had no practice in this dome and if you ever played basketball shooting in this type of setting is very difficult. Im sure the Bison practiced for several days and got used to the back grounds. So many of you call yourself fans and just cant wait to butcher the players and coaches. All these players are solid players that just need experiences like last night to improve. To me the guards are still playing selfish and taking alot of bad shots. There are always open guys when they drive and force up shots. This is the one area the coaches need to make sure this does not happen as often. Wilmer showed his potential as a big man but still has work. Once Clausen is healthy and Allard gets going for league action they will be right there this year. The guards can shoot and will eventually find their touch. Go Sioux

First off, I agree that this team needs a lot of polish that comes from experience - including that the guards need to be less selfish and pass instead of shoot (the number of assists is atrocious). But isn't selfishness all about coaching? Guards should get pulled for continually taking selfish shots.

While "all these players are solid" at a character level - most of the sophomore redshirt class hasn't exactly been impressing the DI world with their potential. Wilmer is a notable exception - but as you stated he needs work.

This team needs extensive revamping before it can dream of being competitive in any autobid conference. There are more pieces available now than there was last year - but there are still major steps to take for real progress. I still maintain there will need to be a reevaluation of scholarships - to free up more scholarships to bulk up the forward positions.

I expected them to hang with the Bison. Every game, every year, and every sport. Having said tha,t Bison Dan and others have it right. We need a "go to guy", shooting guard, and need to get more athletic up front. I thought NDSU was the better team and it is another reminder of how much better we need to get to compete at this level. Compare these two teams to the NDSU team from a couple of years ago and that should be closer to where both teams should strive to be year in and year out. If either program thinks those are the teams that come along "once in a lifetime", then that is likely how often they will come along. Good to have the rivalry back. UND has a decent group of young kids but missing too many pieces of the proverbial puzzle right now.

I can't get excited about sioux basketball any more....Before they printed the starters and the roster in the Fargo Forum I had no idea who any of these guys were. Men's Basketball has become insignificant at UND. When I was a student we used to go to just about every game and the crowd at the Hyslop was always great. I went to one game at the Betty and it was like watching a 5th grade game.....people uninterested, and the only ones who really cared were the coaches and the team. The students didn't even pay attention to the game......They have this great basketball facility and its half full.....

UND played with energy in the first half. Despite its youth, the Sioux played toe-to-toe with the more experienced Bison.

Just in case we all missed quotes like this from football season.

At least this quote was from Wayne Nelson and not Jones.

I've really come to hate that expression--"we went toe to toe with them". At least Wayne was referring to the first half, and not the whole game.

While it's certainly accurate as it pertains to the first half, I have grown to hate it as well. To me it implies you are overmatched to begin with. Having that being the case is fine once a season maybe when you are playing well above your level, but seeing it used as much as we have this year....let's hope it is officially dead next year.

I can't get excited about sioux basketball any more....Before they printed the starters and the roster in the Fargo Forum I had no idea who any of these guys were. Men's Basketball has become insignificant at UND. When I was a student we used to go to just about every game and the crowd at the Hyslop was always great. I went to one game at the Betty and it was like watching a 5th grade game.....people uninterested, and the only ones who really cared were the coaches and the team. The students didn't even pay attention to the game......They have this great basketball facility and its half full.....

interest is low, yes, but there's reason to be optimistic. the young guys show flashes and hopefully they can develop into something, this season and the next season are a wash anyway. only thing we can win is some fake conference. yippee. just keep improving until 2012-13 and hopefully this will all change. put a good product on the floor and interest will be there, it's that simple.

interest is low, yes, but there's reason to be optimistic. the young guys show flashes and hopefully they can develop into something, this season and the next season are a wash anyway. only thing we can win is some fake conference. yippee. just keep improving until 2012-13 and hopefully this will all change. put a good product on the floor and interest will be there, it's that simple.

Well said. More and more talent will come as we move into the Big Sky. What has UND had to offer these past 3 years of D1 basketball to the players, basically nothing. Watching these 5 freshman I believe Jones and company has gotten some real good young talent they can build on and with the affliation to the Big Sky will continue to build. UND is very fortunate to have this class to build. They are fighters and play hard and at this point is all you can ask when as said above they are basically playing for nothing. Go Sioux

What I'm looking for out of this program is progress. Are they getting better each game? Each year? Can we see a trend upward that we can confident about winning a Big Sky championship by the time they are eligible for the tournament?

To each of your questions above so far under the guidance of Jones...IMO no, no, and no.

To each of your questions above so far under the guidance of Jones...IMO no, no, and no.

I disagree with you. They are better this year than last with a much younger team than last. Last year leading scorers were seniors and this year 4 of the top 5 are freshmen. Two things are holding them back right now and both are easily fixable: (1) team concept. At times they move the ball around with everyone touching it and they get good shots but then they go one on one way too much and thus the scoring droughts. (2). shooting. Most all of these players were prolific scorers in high school. Look at their bios and its obvious they can shoot. Maybe they are pusing too hard and just have not got the feel of college ball yet. This will eventually come around. Once they get playing as a team and their shooting percentage starts hitting 40+ percentage they will be in every game the rest of the year.