SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota @ NDSU

bincitysioux

One thing I will take away as a positive from the loss the other night was that when the applied pressure on their point guards in the first half with Anderson & Webb the 2 Bison point guards Lundberg & Zastrow were none to happy about it and struggled against our two young guards. That shows as our backcourt gains maturity we seem to be heading in the right direction there. However, credit their staff if you noticed they got it out of their hands sooner in possesions in the 2nd half and into their veterans thus negating any advantage we had gained in the 1st half in that area.

Wilmer, played well but we need better post depth & production. And it would be nice to see our 6'7 shooter (Mitchell) be able to shoot and handle the ball like Tveidt did in that game, someday.

Personally, I don't get too excited about UND sports except for hockey. The fact that BWW's had to purchase over 2K tickets prior to the game tells me that others don't get too excited either. The rivalry if basically dead in my view. I remember back in the 80's and 90's...it used to be something that people would look forward to and now...it is just another game between two North Dakota schools. Fan's used to wager on the games....they used to leave Sioux/Bison signs in the opponents yards...School leadership used to wager on the games (I will not comment much on UND's current leadership or lack there of...I am not sure they even know their used to be a rivalry). The games used to be talked about during the summer, fall, and non-stop the week of.

I barely heard anything about game. I know this was a basketball game; however, I am not sure I would have heard much more even if it had been a football game. The fact is (in my opinion) its just not that big of deal anymore.

The Bison have done a superb job and the Sioux are trying but a few years behind. They will get there. The rivarly used to be between two schools that always competed for a trophy...it was a D2 trophy but they were the best schools in D2. Now with the move to D1...there is no trophy in site for either...I do not count winning a small insignificant conference title as anything to get overly excited about. We are now just a bottom-feeder in a division where the big boys get all the attention.

Am I glad we went D1....yes, but the fact we waited set us back further than anyone ever suspected it would have. I think if we would have transitioned together....we could have used each other as leverage with a conference and possibly kept the rivalry alive...but oh well...we did not.

sorry for the rant.

• Downvote 3

Personally, I don't get too excited about UND sports except for hockey. The fact that BWW's had to purchase over 2K tickets prior to the game tells me that others don't get too excited either. The rivalry if basically dead in my view. I remember back in the 80's and 90's...it used to be something that people would look forward to and now...it is just another game between two North Dakota schools. Fan's used to wager on the games....they used to leave Sioux/Bison signs in the opponents yards...School leadership used to wager on the games (I will not comment much on UND's current leadership or lack there of...I am not sure they even know their used to be a rivalry). The games used to be talked about during the summer, fall, and non-stop the week of.

I barely heard anything about game. I know this was a basketball game; however, I am not sure I would have heard much more even if it had been a football game. The fact is (in my opinion) its just not that big of deal anymore.

The Bison have done a superb job and the Sioux are trying but a few years behind. They will get there. The rivarly used to be between two schools that always competed for a trophy...it was a D2 trophy but they were the best schools in D2. Now with the move to D1...there is no trophy in site for either...I do not count winning a small insignificant conference title as anything to get overly excited about. We are now just a bottom-feeder in a division where the big boys get all the attention.

Am I glad we went D1....yes, but the fact we waited set us back further than anyone ever suspected it would have. I think if we would have transitioned together....we could have used each other as leverage with a conference and possibly kept the rivalry alive...but oh well...we did not.

sorry for the rant.

I do agree that the rivalry isn't what it used to be, however, if games start being played on a regular basis, I believe it will become as big as it was before. As far as BWW buying 2200 tickets, they bought them three days prior to the event taking place. I'm sure fans would have bought some of those tickets up. There was still over 6500 tickets sold for this game which is more than any NDSU or UND game has sold for a game since they both went DI. There also were several "Bison strong" signs place around the UND campus the night before the game. Somebody also spray painted "Go Sioux" in the snow banks outside the NDSU Student Union. Again the rivalry isn't where it was, give it a few years of consistent playing and I have no doubt it will be back where it was. You could even argue it will be bigger since neither school will be playing for many DI championships other than hockey or FCS football. Beating the rival school could be considered a 'championship' of it's own...

sorry for the rant.

That's fine that your primarily interested in hockey, certainly entitled. I just happen to follow every sport here hardcore. I lean a little basketball but am passionate about them all. As I've mentioned before I have lived long enough where basketball was the bigger deal in town. That may not happen again and personally I'm ok if it doesn't. What the game with NDSU showed was indeed there is a fan base on both sides that were very interested in seeing the 2 teams play. Secondly, BWW's may have purchase the remaining 2500 tickets or so, but didn't they all get picked up? I would say sitting there on Saturday night that most of those tickets that were picked up were redeemed. What a marketing coup on B-Dubs part. The rivalry will continue to get more ignited as they continue to play more and providing our squad closes the gap. I think it has the potential to be more venomous as the years progress as we will only be playing 1 game a year rather than 2 if we were in the same conference. The fact that we didn't move to D1 together has long been moot, the fact that we are not in the same conference does little to extinguish my burning desire to see us beat them. I think the first half of the game was a wild roller coaster ride for both fan bases, more of that in the future will help the rivalry reignite again.

sorry for the rant.

I really don't understand how some fans of Sioux hockey feel the need to post garbage like this. If you don't care about Sioux football or basketball then stay the hell off their forums. I mean I could spend all of my time in the hockey forum posting how I could give a rats ass about Sioux hockey's matchup with Mankato State this weekend but I would rightly be considered a giant douche.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

NDSU had their largest BB crowd ever.

The Fargodome had their 2nd largest BB crowd ever (MayPort in state Class B championship was actually larger).

The game was the third largest BB crowd in ND history (13,000 at the Ralph for UND vs Kansas was larger.)

This record NDSU attendance in spite of (a) relatively non-competitive UND team, (b) UND having several non .500 seasons, © poor weather, (d) game immediately preceded by an NDSU playoff game that focused interest elsewhere.

Actual butts in the seats trumps individual stories of why certain fans don't really care anymore.

Thirty years ago, people wanted to watch sports rivalries: now they want to attend an event and be entertained.

Strictly from a business standpoint, the game is a slam dunk.

• Upvote 1

Star2city and dmksioux....you both make great points. I agree with most if not all of them. I too think that this game needs to continue. Financially speaking...this should be the number one game we schedule each year.

the green team...I like your attitude... I too remember the Brekke days...Vonesh (sp) days. For some reason, I just can't get back into basketball or football.

Dlsoiuxfan...i don't like your attitude as much. I didn't come on here to slam basketball or football. If it sounded that way...my apologies.

I was responding to the fact that a lot of people believe that the rivalry is what it used to be...and I don't think it is. Then I maybe got on a rant....again, my apologies.

That is all...nothing more, nothing less.

I really don't understand how some fans of Sioux hockey feel the need to post garbage like this. If you don't care about Sioux football or basketball then stay the hell off their forums. I mean I could spend all of my time in the hockey forum posting how I could give a rats ass about Sioux hockey's matchup with Mankato State this weekend but I would rightly be considered a giant douche.

I couldn't agree more. When a posts starts out "Personally, I don't get too excited about UND sports except for hockey." It's as though the poster is a fan from an opponents' board that is posting smack on here. It is not incongruent to be a UND hockey fan, and actually get excited about some other aspect of this institution but for hockey. And even if you do not, stop using that caveat. It furthers the perception that there's the Sioux mens hockey program, and the rest of the athletic department. Not helpful.

Star2city and dmksioux....you both make great points. I agree with most if not all of them. I too think that this game needs to continue. Financially speaking...this should be the number one game we schedule each year.

the green team...I like your attitude... I too remember the Brekke days...Vonesh (sp) days. For some reason, I just can't get back into basketball or football.

Dlsoiuxfan...i don't like your attitude as much. I didn't come on here to slam basketball or football. If it sounded that way...my apologies.

I was responding to the fact that a lot of people believe that the rivalry is what it used to be...and I don't think it is. Then I maybe got on a rant....again, my apologies.

That is all...nothing more, nothing less.

I don't know of anyone that thinks the rivalry is the same as it used to be. But there is still a rivalry, in spite of what some have claimed. That is obvious when more than 10,000 tickets are distributed for an otherwise meaningless game. And it has a chance to recover and become a big deal again. It just needs some time and regular play. The question is whether it can reach the same level with the schools in different conferences. But even if it doesn't quite reach the same level as before it will be a strong college rivalry as long as the schools compete against each other.

The sophs are a BUST and especially Schuler. Non factor(s) in the games I have attended (seen).

Which one game did you go to in order to call all these players a bust. To make statements like above you must not know anything about basketball. The sophs will be fine and Schuler is not a sophomore and has only played 9 collegiate games. I personally like the way he plays. Looking at stats he has almost a 3-1 assist to turnover ratio (off the charts), We need someone that doesnt turn the ball over. Second in steals and is probably the best defender on the team. I like the way he always finds the open man and hardly ever turns the ball over. People Ive talked to sais he is a great shooter so Im sure that will come around because he has a nice stroke. Give the kid a chance. He runs the floor and team as it should be done in my opionion. He has scored 7 or more points in 6 of his first 9 games as a freshman. If he is a bust then almost every freshman in the country that has played is a bust. The sophomores are hampered by alot of injuries. Allard is going to be good once he is completely healthy, Wilmer showed what he can become in the last game, Archer is still bothered by his injury last year, Goodman has started everygame and has played very well with one game of 9 pts and 8 rebounds and Haugen is a very good shooter when he shoots. So why are the sophomores a bust. They are still young and learning. D1 takes time so give these young guys some time. They have also played 6 of the first 9 games on the road which usually makes shooting alittle more difficult. Could be one of the reasons the ENTIRE TEAM is shooting poorly right now. OLE I also see most of your posts are in football so that explains why you know little about basketball. How many young players have you thrown out in front of a train for their 3-9 season in football?

One thing I will take away as a positive from the loss the other night was that when the applied pressure on their point guards in the first half with Anderson & Webb the 2 Bison point guards Lundberg & Zastrow were none to happy about it and struggled against our two young guards. That shows as our backcourt gains maturity we seem to be heading in the right direction there. However, credit their staff if you noticed they got it out of their hands sooner in possesions in the 2nd half and into their veterans thus negating any advantage we had gained in the 1st half in that area.

Wilmer, played well but we need better post depth & production. And it would be nice to see our 6'7 shooter (Mitchell) be able to shoot and handle the ball like Tveidt did in that game, someday.

I agree with the guard comment. Anybody that pressures the Bison point guards this year will have success. I do believe Webb and Anderson would get some playing time if they were at NDSU this year. They may be an improvement handling the ball over the NDSU's point guards.

But, I'm not sure anyone else on the Sioux mens team would get much if any playing time at NDSU this year.

Sorry pa,l but that was a cheap shot and uncalled for. He wrote a column and criticized NDSU fans for not supporting their FB team better in the playoff game at the dome. Reasonable criticism and should have come form the guys at The Forum. I was surprised it wasn't sold out. That is what Sportswiters do, report on things, comment on things and creat discussion and controversy. Say you don't like him or criticize his column and even puke on your spider man jammies but don't call him senile or comment on his waterworks. That shows a lack of class. You have had a number of pretty reasonable posts but this is in fact an older guy. Ignore him, criticise his column but even an AC ggrad should know better. Hope you were able to get to the FB game yesterday. Thought they had it won.

I believe a person with class should be treated with class. However, Mr. Foss has not earned that treatment. He has always been a basher of NDSU athletics and its fans, and doesn't deserve to be treated like a person with class. Any "journalist" that allows his allegiance to one school and hatred for another to accuse it of steroid use and cheating without any proof, just because his beloved school couldn't compete with its rival, doesn't qualify as classy in my book.

Fans in an internet forum making comments is one thing, journalist publishing in newspapers is a completely different story.

How about this one? A big thank you goes out to NDSU for refusing to use the Sioux name or logo on any marketing and media material, online, in the program or during any announcements at the game even though the NDUS is allowing us to use it through the remainder of this year. How very PC of you. :silly:

Which one game did you go to in order to call all these players a bust. To make statements like above you must not know anything about basketball. The sophs will be fine and Schuler is not a sophomore and has only played 9 collegiate games. I personally like the way he plays. Looking at stats he has almost a 3-1 assist to turnover ratio (off the charts), We need someone that doesnt turn the ball over. Second in steals and is probably the best defender on the team. I like the way he always finds the open man and hardly ever turns the ball over. People Ive talked to sais he is a great shooter so Im sure that will come around because he has a nice stroke. Give the kid a chance. He runs the floor and team as it should be done in my opionion. He has scored 7 or more points in 6 of his first 9 games as a freshman. If he is a bust then almost every freshman in the country that has played is a bust. The sophomores are hampered by alot of injuries. Allard is going to be good once he is completely healthy, Wilmer showed what he can become in the last game, Archer is still bothered by his injury last year, Goodman has started everygame and has played very well with one game of 9 pts and 8 rebounds and Haugen is a very good shooter when he shoots. So why are the sophomores a bust. They are still young and learning. D1 takes time so give these young guys some time. They have also played 6 of the first 9 games on the road which usually makes shooting alittle more difficult. Could be one of the reasons the ENTIRE TEAM is shooting poorly right now. OLE I also see most of your posts are in football so that explains why you know little about basketball. How many young players have you thrown out in front of a train for their 3-9 season in football?

Saw the game in Madison and some of the others on TV or internet. Not a BB guru, but disappointed in all the hype the kids come in with and still take 3 years to develop. Time will tell what kind of results these kids generate. They need some front court help though. BTW, I tossed a few QB's and WR's under the bus during the FB season, maybe not all on this site though.

You guys gotta give your frosh time to develop and adjust to D1. I see a lot of potential in Huff, Webb, and Anderson. You will see a lot of ups and downs from them thorughout the season. That's how it was for Tveidt, Carlson, and Coleman in their first years. Now look at them. They will get better once they work on their weaknesses and put on some muscle in the offseason. Give them time. If you guys can add a quality big man or two and get a couple role players to surround your frosh, in a couple years you guys could be a formidable mid major. Once you get into the Big Sky Im sure you will see more quality recruits come into the program.

You guys gotta give your frosh time to develop and adjust to D1. I see a lot of potential in Huff, Webb, and Anderson. You will see a lot of ups and downs from them thorughout the season. That's how it was for Tveidt, Carlson, and Coleman in their first years. Now look at them. They will get better once they work on their weaknesses and put on some muscle in the offseason. Give them time. If you guys can add a quality big man or two and get a couple role players to surround your frosh, in a couple years you guys could be a formidable mid major. Once you get into the Big Sky Im sure you will see more quality recruits come into the program.

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

Have you changed your mind yet or do you feel the same on this comment?

I have changed my mind. Judged him too early. Obviously something is different from the first few games. Not having seen a game for several weeks I do not know what it is, but he may be more confident. Young guys appear to be doing very well. Now if we can find a couple of big bodies inside.............!

• 3 months later...

Just creeping around a few months later. Agree with this guy, the guards looked good I remember. The bigs didn't look so good yet. Young team, see you guys next year.