SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Montana - Game Day!

jimdahl

Mussman describes the offense as a "struggle"...puts part of the blame on only having four receivers...makes a comment about Big Sky officiating.

Lame.

Enjoy your next week as the head coach of the University of North Dakota football team. It may be your last...

I don't think anybody is going to pull the trigger on a firing when the team is so young. I'm sure he's got a year or more to turn it around.

Lennon was the head coach when the juniors and seniors on this team were being recruited. Lennon left during the middle of the recruiting for this year's sophomore class. IIRC, some of the top rated recruits that year decided to go to Southern Illinois or elsewhere after Lennon left. The redshirt freshmen from this year were the first full recruiting class that came in under Mussman. Mussman has been handicapped by the transition and the lack of a conference. UND isn't going to fire him this year. He has at least 1 more year, and maybe 2 depending on the results next year.

My concern is that with young players you expect inconsistency, not stats like 56 yards passing. Yikes! If you've got playmakers, you should be able to throw for a big play every now and again. We have been told over the past 3 years that at this level of football you are not going to be able to shut down a team because of the sophistication of offenses. This was in regards to our defense giving up huge numbers in total yards. This should be able to work both ways, and even with young players the offense should have some sort of advantage. Although I'm not into moral victories, the fact that we could hang with them with virtually no passing game, gives me hope for the first year of the Big Sky when we will have a ton of upperclassmen.

My concern is that with young players you expect inconsistency, not stats like 56 yards passing. Yikes! If you've got playmakers, you should be able to throw for a big play every now and again. We have been told over the past 3 years that at this level of football you are not going to be able to shut down a team because of the sophistication of offenses. This was in regards to our defense giving up huge numbers in total yards. This should be able to work both ways, and even with young players the offense should have some sort of advantage. Although I'm not into moral victories, the fact that we could hang with them with virtually no passing game, gives me hope for the first year of the Big Sky when we will have a ton of upperclassmen.

Montana has a shutdown corner that will have a shot at playing on Sundays. He was playing man on Harden all day. Harden is the only receiver that has shown much so far this year. So you had 2 quarterbacks that can't throw trying to get the ball to receivers that can't catch. And even Harden dropped at least 1 or 2 that he had a shot at. It wasn't a good combination.

Lennon was the head coach when the juniors and seniors on this team were being recruited. Lennon left during the middle of the recruiting for this year's sophomore class. IIRC, some of the top rated recruits that year decided to go to Southern Illinois or elsewhere after Lennon left. The redshirt freshmen from this year were the first full recruiting class that came in under Mussman. Mussman has been handicapped by the transition and the lack of a conference. UND isn't going to fire him this year. He has at least 1 more year, and maybe 2 depending on the results next year.

I agree 100%. As bad as it looked times, we hung in with a decent, proven Big Sky and FCS program on the road. The transition will continue to be tough for another year or two, or three. Patience will be needed. But, there is more chance of me winning the lottery tonight than there is that Mussman will be let go. That said, I still can't believe not going for it on 4th down late in the game. That looked like trying to keep it close instead of trying to take a shot at winning. Go Sioux!

• Upvote 1

Mussman should be fired after this game. That's inexcusable. He's not even playing to win.

This loss is on Mussman more than anyone else. What an effort by the players! Problem is after Marcus is 3 for 16 for 18 yards and you STILL are in the ball game, why not give Goska another try. Playing not to win is a perfect way to phrase it. Marcus was so inept with his accuracy it was embarrassing to watch. My Griz fan buddy who was at the game kept texting me that he couldn't believe UND stuck with Marcus. I liked Marcus' effort, but that is the worst QB performance I've seen in years.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I agree 100%. As bad as it looked times, we hung in with a decent, proven Big Sky and FCS program on the road. The transition will continue to be tough for another year or two, or three. Patience will be needed. But, there is more chance of me winning the lottery tonight than there is that Mussman will be let go. That said, I still can't believe not going for it on 4th down late in the game. That looked like trying to keep it close instead of trying to take a shot at winning. Go Sioux!

The transition will be over starting July 1st, 2012. That is also the date we join the BSC. After that, I don't think using the word "transition" should be allowed by any coaches and the local media (Wayne Nelson, Pat Sweeney, ect.) should really hold the program accountable in that regard. When we kick off the 2012 season, this will be Mussman's team, period. I am all for being patient in 2011, but if we don't start seeing some results by 2012, it might be time for a change.

The transition will be over starting July 1st, 2012. That is also the date we join the BSC. After that, I don't think using the word "transition" should be allowed by any coaches and the local media (Wayne Nelson, Pat Sweeney, ect.) should really hold the program accountable in that regard. When we kick off the 2012 season, this will be Mussman's team, period. I am all for being patient in 2011, but if we don't start seeing some results by 2012, it might be time for a change.

I don't think so. Look at Northern Colorado as an example. D2 National titles in '96 and '97. They moved up a year before NDSU and SDSU did. They lost to this same Montana team 30-7 last month. They also lost to South Dakota 34-6 a couple weeks ago. You can go by the "official" transition date if you want, I was just being realistic. It will be a process and clearly we're not there yet...... but there are signs we're not too far away either. Plus, 7-01-12 is a very long time away.......patience.

"Watched" this on the internet while at work and I can't wait to see how bad our qb's really were later tonight!! Only problem I have with Mussman was punting at the end of the game like that....are you "playing to win the game" or trying to not lose too badly? Come on go for it....ridiculous!!! Totally ridiculous. Fire Mussman? No. But keep making gutless calls like that and have fun being the new ball at Iowa State.

Who recruited these two horrible quarterbacks?

Who recruited these two horrible quarterbacks?

Goska was recruited under Lennon. Hendrickson was part of the class that was part Lennon and part Mussman. Take your pick on how to assign that one. Personally, I throw out that class because of the change in coaches and when it happened. I don't know how the actual recruiting happened with either QB, but I normally assign credit and blame to the head coach.

Not sure if this will make anyone feel better but as I'm watching the NDSU/SDSU game, I wouldn't want either of their QB's either. In fact, they might both be as bad as Hendrickson. :silly:

Agree Jose is tbe backup - when Jenson is back things will change. How about the Defense? We put the hurt on SDSU so we'll see what you do next week!!!!

I don't think so. Look at Northern Colorado as an example. D2 National titles in '96 and '97. They moved up a year before NDSU and SDSU did. They lost to this same Montana team 30-7 last month. They also lost to South Dakota 34-6 a couple weeks ago. You can go by the "official" transition date if you want, I was just being realistic. It will be a process and clearly we're not there yet...... but there are signs we're not too far away either. Plus, 7-01-12 is a very long time away.......patience.

I think I said I wanted to see some progress in 2012, I am not expecting an FCS title or anything. But that being said, I don't think Faison or the fan base will put up with Northern Colorado's long record of mediocrity without making some changes along the way. If this program is 2-9 or 3-8 year after year, the whole move up will be questioned by a lot of people. For the record, I don't think that will happen to us, but it's always good to practice eternal vigilance so that mediocrity doesn't become acceptable. It's happened to Men's Basketball and I don't want it to happen to football.

Agree Jose is tbe backup - when Jenson is back things will change. How about the Defense? We put the hurt on SDSU so we'll see what you do next week!!!!

Jensen hasn't played a down since the Youngstown game.......I wouldn't bet the farm on him just yet..... :blush: Every damn Dakota school is in a bit of a QB quandry....... :sad:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I agree w/ not being into moral victories, but we didn't hang w/ the Griz. They had way more passing yards, RB Reynolds ran crazy on us, they were penalized for 60 more yds. than we were penalized. We only lost by 10 because we concentrated on winding the clock on every play we had the ball the entire game. I don't know whether to be upset that the coaching staffs game plan was to not get blown out vs. winning OR be happy with a staff that recognizes we couldn't play w/ the weakest team UM has had in four years.

• Upvote 2