SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs DULUTH

AZSIOUX

Well the WCHA front office always likes to show how low it can go so why not a supsension for a perfectly legal hit. Malone plays hockey like a pro but clearly there is no room for his type in the WCHA. Some of you like to debate the losses to Major Juniors, but decisions such as this don't help the league's cause.

What a Joke...an asbolute joke. Wait until the day before the series to suspend him......like what in the hell did they have to do from Sunday-Weds?

Ohh wait, I'm sure they had to deal with complaints about the officiating....it all makes sense now....

The only reason I can think the WCHA waited was that UND appealed the suspension.

What? I can say with 100 percent certainty that Athletics didn't know before 4:15 this afternoon that Malone would be suspended, although they pursued some sort of announcement (for a suspension or not) all day today.

What? I can say with 100 percent certainty that Athletics didn't know before 4:15 this afternoon that Malone would be suspended, although they pursued some sort of announcement (for a suspension or not) all day today.

What do you mean what? The only reason it should've taken that long was that we appealed it. I know for a fact that we did this with one of the suspensions last year or the year before so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

What do you mean what? The only reason it should've taken that long was that we appealed it. I know for a fact that we did this with one of the suspensions last year or the year before so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

You really find it hard to believe that the WHCA didn't mess around until today to make the announcement. There was no appeal. No one knew for sure that there would be a suspension until a little before 4:30.

You really find it hard to believe that the WHCA didn't mess around until today to make the announcement. There was no appeal. No one knew for sure that there would be a suspension until a little before 4:30.

Your not reading very clearly. I didn't say the reason the WCHA did this was because of an appeal. I stated the only possible reason it should've taken a while was if it was appealed. Obviously if it wasn't appealed the WCHA screwed up in this suspension.

This is a bunch of bs and something needs to change right now. I am sorry that the kid got hurt but this is hockey not lacrosse.

A kid gets hurt that badly and the league hands out a suspension. Fine I can live with that, but for the life of me I have no idea how Malone could have played it different.

I am fine with the one game suspension. I actually thought it could have been longer (being that we are dealing with the WCHA here, after all).

My only complaint is that they waited until the day before the game to announce it. This could have been taken care of on Tuesday, now the team is left scrambling for lines in practice for tomorrow's game.

While I agree that Malone didn't intend to injure Martin, nor did he intend to hit his head, I understand the one game ruling being that they specifically said this year that they were going to crack down on head hits. This is a rule that was passed with Genoway in mind after his injury last year. I don't think Malone's hit was anywhere near as vicious as Marvin's hit on Genoway last year (even though they both essentially got the same penalty by the WCHA), but since they are trying to crack down on head hits this year...I certainly wasn't expecting Malone to NOT get a suspension. I would have been surprised if he hadn't, honestly.

• Downvote 1

I understand that McClown has requested a 12 MPH speed limit on the ice. Physicists and kinesiologists all agree that any thing faster than that it could be dangerous. Referees will have discretion to impose a 2 minute, 5 minute or game misconduct for violating the speed limit. I believe he was quoted as saying " The high speed that Malone and the other Sioux hockety players exhibited last weekend was in blatant disregard for their safety and the safety of the Denver Pioneers. And now there is a young man in the hospital."

He also asked if governors can be installed on the blades. Also discussed were limits on momentum, velocity, and force. Maybe we can go back to soft steel blades with steel tuiks and leather boots.

And in all seriousness, get well Jesse!

Surprised that the WCHA waited this long...and they haven't even officially announced it yet.

I'm assuming that Hakstol assumed this was going to happen as well and lines have been adjusted during practice.

Yup.

There's no conspiracy about the suspension actually occurring. brianvf is right on with Hakstol, imo. It goes with precedent.

Why did they wait this long?

I don't know. Either UND appealed the suspension (I don't know how they'd keep the appeal and initial suspension under wraps though...) or Shepturd and McLoser were trying to find a way to suspend Malone while making the WCHA look better. Remember, McLeod and Shepherd are more concerned with appearances than the integrity of the game.

If something happens that is unpleasant but legal in the league on or off ice, they can't stand by its legality unless they look good by doing so.

I am fine with the one game suspension. I actually thought it could have been longer (being that we are dealing with the WCHA here, after all).

My only complaint is that they waited until the day before the game to announce it. This could have been taken care of on Tuesday, now the team is left scrambling for lines in practice for tomorrow's game.

While I agree that Malone didn't intend to injure Martin, nor did he intend to hit his head, I understand the one game ruling being that they specifically said this year that they were going to crack down on head hits. This is a rule that was passed with Genoway in mind after his injury last year. I don't think Malone's hit was anywhere near as vicious as Marvin's hit on Genoway last year (even though they both essentially got the same penalty by the WCHA), but since they are trying to crack down on head hits this year...I certainly wasn't expecting Malone to NOT get a suspension. I would have been surprised if he hadn't, honestly.

This stinks to the high heavens that the WCHA didn't move faster, they look like a bunch of bumbling buffoons by taking all week, I don't anyone of us are shocked by the decision ...

So I am assuming you think that Haks had no idea this was coming and did nothing to prepare the team for it?

I thought I heard Hakstol assumed he was missing one game. Your lines will be fine.

• Downvote 1

So I am assuming you think that Haks had no idea this was coming and did nothing to prepare the team for it?

I thought I heard Hakstol assumed he was missing one game. Your lines will be fine.

I think there will be some mistakes made on Friday. You don't lose 4 players (3 to injury or illness) and have a seamless transition.

I guess you missed my post from last page where I said this:

I'm assuming that Hakstol assumed this was going to happen as well and lines have been adjusted during practice.

:lol:;)

Malone finished his check and delievered a hockey hit, and I'll bet Pro scouts like the way he plays the game. Are you saying he must now hold back and play a softer game. If so, do you think he make the right choice coming to the WCHA to further his hockey career.

Malone finished his check and delievered a hockey hit, and I'll bet Pro scouts like the way he plays the game. Are you saying he must now hold back and play a softer game. If so, do you think he make the right choice coming to the WCHA to further his hockey career.

All true, a fabricated call based on an injury, but once the 5 minute was given, however incorrect, because the injury occurred, the one game suspension was guaranteed. It's not right, but it is the way of the WCHA.

If the call had been made correctly (no call, or charging for 2 at a minimum), there would be no suspension. Of course, making up a 2 minute after the fact call would have been wrong also, but we've gotten used to expecting this stuff from the WCHA.

I was kvetching about the penalty at work (in WI) and someone told me that they (the refs) should penalize 'hard hits'. :huh: WTF??? How would anyone differentiate from a "too hard', 'too soft' or 'just hard enough' hit? Maybe Goldilocks should be ref'ing....

Why does it always seem like Fighting Sioux players can get maimed, and then the league as a guise to make it right, ends up punishing

the very team they assert they are trying to protect. The Malone situation is an absolute joke, charging, a two minute minor would have sufficed.

The game is designed to be fast paced, players are taught to keep their heads up, and on a swivel, and you know what, accidents and injuries happen.

No intent whatsoever in this situation, unlike Genoway's injury or LePoint's injury.