SiouxSports.com Forum

Brewster is fired

UND92,96

Watching the press conference play out via the gopher's website right now. Gotta say, Coach Horton and Maturi are handling themselves with as much good leadership as possible right now. There hasn't been any Brewster bashing, in fact Maturi went out of his way to say that this was not supposed to mean that Brewster is a bad coach. I also liked that he handled it very well when a media personnel pretty much told him that his job is on the line in the eyes of some fans too.

Gotta say, Coach Horton and Maturi are handling themselves with as much good leadership as possible right now.

Horton was in town at least twice for Bollinger's qb camp. Really nice guy. Doubt he'd get the permanent job, but I hope the new guy at least considers keeping him.

So it looks like Brewster after having another horrible performance, a big time alum/donor must have come up and said, hey Maturi I will write the check to buy out the rest of this clowns contract and they jumped at the opportunity and gave him the axe.

All those buyouts take some serious money, and the UM system is short on that lately.

Brewster is getting $200,000 each of the next 3 years as his buyout according to one source, other sources have just given the total amount of $600,000 and didn't say how it would be paid. They plan to pay their next coach in the neighborhood of $2,000,000 per year (not a bad neighborhood) and are planning on a 5-7 year contract, so 10% of that per year for 3 years to pay off Brewster isn't a huge amount.

• 1 month later...

No kidding. I wonder if Chryst wasn't interested? He was my pick the second Brewster got canned.

I don't think his friend Joel Maturi will be the AD much longer. You have to believe this scared away a lot of very good candidates. Jerry Kill is a hell of a football coach, they are hoping for a Tressel type scenario I'm sure. I would have bet it was going to be Edsall. Will be interesting to see where Horton lands.

I don't think his friend Joel Maturi will be the AD much longer. You have to believe this scared away a lot of very good candidates. Jerry Kill is a hell of a football coach, they are hoping for a Tressel type scenario I'm sure. I would have bet it was going to be Edsall. Will be interesting to see where Horton lands.

I hope Horton gets a decent job.

I wonder if Lennon will get any consideration for Kill's old job?

Rumor has it NIU coach Jerry Kill will be the next Gophers coach.

Why would they hire a coach that won't get much better results than Mason and or Brewster... I think they made a mistake when they fired Glen Mason. At least they were respectable with him.

I am glad they hired him. He seems like an average coach.

Kill has a 23-16 record at NIU

Southern Illinois (55-32 in seven seasons), Emporia State (11-11 in two seasons) and Saginaw Valley State (38-14 in five seasons).

An average coach wins 63.5% of the games he coaches over 17 years? An average coach has only 4 losing seasons out of those 17? That sounds like a pretty good coach to me. Not Hall of Fame worthy, but certainly better than average.