SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux @ UNI--Game Thread

darell1976

Landry was better tonight- he is our qb. I think he knew what was the situation on that 2nd to the last play that if Hardin catches it, he could have got in or they would have had a 1 play to get to in from the 3. He did a good job leading that last drive down the field. I'm guessin Cochran as the Roughneck and Hardin as the POG. Better, not great, but better.

Entertaining game that was probably lost on the first play of the game. They played much better tonight...................progress.........but I never would have guessed they would have had so much trouble defending the run, particularly a scrambling QB that I really don't think is known for moving his team with his feet.

I was feeling pretty down after the first few series, but I agee, I'm little more optimistic about the season that I was after the first play of tonight's game.

BTW

Poly 14

Griz 14

H

My thoughts:

It was the special teams that made this a game. They kept the Sioux in the game in the first half with a block FG and provided the spark in the second half with the blocked punt. Tackling improved in the second half and they found some offensive flow.. By the way the Sioux had better learn to stop a running QB or that USD game might be a long one... overall execited about the game and the improvements. They are getting better..

Special Teams: B+

- Blocked FG

- Blocked Punt

- no large returns

- Turnover on the kickoff did hurt

- Clutch FG at the end by the Freshman... first kick from 40 with pressure - good sign..

- Strong Kickoff leg

Defense: C

Minus

- Wow missed tackles in the first two or three drives

- Pressure with blitz package.. but they lost containment for long QB runs..

Plus

- Pick 6 for Hawk - huge..

- Nice 2nd half adjustments

- No big pass plays

Offense: C

Plus

- Landry has a target in Hardin

- Offensive flow is getting better..

- I thought that Josh just ran hard not sure of yardage. But it is nice to see him back.

Minus

- Anderson dropped a couple

- Offensive line needs to get more push up front... Landry was running for his life..

Welll, this stinks. Tough loss boys, we should won this game..

While I'm not willing to say they should have won this game since they never actually led, or even tied during the game, they showed a lot of guts in this game that they didn't last week. They represented well.

• Upvote 1

My thoughts:

It was the special teams that made this a game. They kept the Sioux in the game in the first half with a block FG and provided the spark in the second half with the blocked punt. Tackling improved in the second half and they found some offensive flow.. By the way the Sioux had better learn to stop a running QB or that USD game might be a long one... overall execited about the game and the improvements. They are getting better..

Special Teams: B+

- Blocked FG

- Blocked Punt

- no large returns

- Turnover on the kickoff did hurt

- Clutch FG at the end by the Freshman... first kick from 40 with pressure - good sign..

- Strong Kickoff leg

Defense: C

Minus

- Wow missed tackles in the first two or three drives

- Pressure with blitz package.. but they lost containment for long QB runs..

Plus

- Pick 6 for Hawk - huge..

- Nice 2nd half adjustments

- No big pass plays

Offense: C

Plus

- Landry has a target in Hardin

- Offensive flow is getting better..

- I thought that Josh just ran hard not sure of yardage. But it is nice to see him back.

Minus

- Anderson dropped a couple

- Offensive line needs to get more push up front... Landry was running for his life..

I didn't watch the first half but I thought the Offensive line looked decent in pass protection most of the time, but the run blocking needs to come together because it wasn't very good. I know this seems harsh but on several occasions if Landry steps up in the pocket instead of trying to run outside the pocket he would have been more effective. I really didn't like some of the coaching decisions even though most of them seemed to work out OK. Hardin looked good and it is unfortunate he had the drop on the second to last play of the game but at least UND seems to have a WR that can make some plays. On the last play Landry appeared to panic just because NIU brought 5 guys on the pass rush, I think he more time to look for a WR on the play if he would have stepped up in the pocket because it appear the O line actually handled the 5 man rush. I could be wrong on the last play because I haven't actually watched a reply though.

The NIU board, which is mostly in meltdown, had praise for Landry for avoiding sacks. Agree with comments that Landry needs to step up in the pocket and that the OL isn't providing the needed run blocking support.

Their board also agrees that NIU, with new running QB Harnish, was a much better team than they showed vs Iowa State (NIU lost 27-10 to ISU) with a different pass-oriented QB. UND did a good job of stopping NIU's star RB, but could never stop Harnish.

I dont know if anyone has seen this. But who is East Dakota? I assume they're talking about us. Sometimes ESPN blows my mind.

Off The Mark: Hot-Seat Coaches

ncf_ap_mlocksley_65.jpg1. Mike Locksley, New Mexico

The Lobos have been outscored 124-17 in their first two games, after losing 52-17 to Texas Tech on Saturday.

2. Tim Brewster, Minnesota

The Gophers lost to North Dakota State in 2007 and then lost to South Dakota 41-38 on Saturday. East Dakota is trying to get on Minnesota's schedule.

3. Paul Wulff, Washington State

The Cougars had to rally from a 15-point deficit for a 23-22 victory over FCS foe Montana State, which ended their 10-game losing streak.

4. Dan Hawkins, Colorado

Welcome to the Pac-10. The Buffaloes, who are expected to join the league in 2012, lost at California 52-17 on Saturday.

5. Todd Dodge, North Texas

The not-so-Mean Green lost to Rice 32-31 on Saturday, dropping their record to 0-2.

I dont know if anyone has seen this. But who is East Dakota? I assume they're talking about us. Sometimes ESPN blows my mind.

Off The Mark: Hot-Seat Coaches

ncf_ap_mlocksley_65.jpg1. Mike Locksley, New Mexico

The Lobos have been outscored 124-17 in their first two games, after losing 52-17 to Texas Tech on Saturday.

2. Tim Brewster, Minnesota

The Gophers lost to North Dakota State in 2007 and then lost to South Dakota 41-38 on Saturday. East Dakota is trying to get on Minnesota's schedule.

3. Paul Wulff, Washington State

The Cougars had to rally from a 15-point deficit for a 23-22 victory over FCS foe Montana State, which ended their 10-game losing streak.

4. Dan Hawkins, Colorado

Welcome to the Pac-10. The Buffaloes, who are expected to join the league in 2012, lost at California 52-17 on Saturday.

5. Todd Dodge, North Texas

The not-so-Mean Green lost to Rice 32-31 on Saturday, dropping their record to 0-2.

It was meant as a joke, i.e. any school with "Dakota" in its name wants to play Brewster and company.

It was a joke. The Gophs have had problems with schools with Dakota in their name. North and South have been spoken for, that leaves East and West. Kinda like the Dakota Fanning jokes that have been circulating. Don't read too much into it.

edit: beaten to the punch again