SiouxSports.com Forum

COMMITTED UND Recruits

AZSIOUX

52 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I don't think anything you said is hugely rippable. I'm fine with Bowen's role. Yon and Johnson shouldn't feel secure. Rieger's road isn't going to get any easier, either. 

What makes you think Bowen is a good penalty killer? Every time he is out of the lineup, UND kills off penalties. When he returns, they are terrible. This weekend is another example. He's gone on Friday and they kill off 6 out of 6. He comes back Saturday, and they give up 2 straight. He was on the ice for the 1st one again. Go back and look at the tapes. He is often out there when they get scored on during the PK. He does a great job of looking like he attempts to block shots on the PK, but he either does an "ole" and just acts as a screen for the goaltender or he does not pressure the point. He is almost as bad as Casey Johnson--he doesn't score, takes stupid penalties, and is not good on the penalty kill despite what some believe. For the life of me, I don't see why some of you on this board continue to defend him. He's not a good hockey player. He wouldn't be above average in the MIAC. 

34 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

What makes you think Bowen is a good penalty killer? Every time he is out of the lineup, UND kills off penalties. When he returns, they are terrible. This weekend is another example. He's gone on Friday and they kill off 6 out of 6. He comes back Saturday, and they give up 2 straight. He was on the ice for the 1st one again. Go back and look at the tapes. He is often out there when they get scored on during the PK. He does a great job of looking like he attempts to block shots on the PK, but he either does an "ole" and just acts as a screen for the goaltender or he does not pressure the point. He is almost as bad as Casey Johnson--he doesn't score, takes stupid penalties, and is not good on the penalty kill despite what some believe. For the life of me, I don't see why some of you on this board continue to defend him. He's not a good hockey player. He wouldn't be above average in the MIAC. 

I guess you and I are seeing it differently. I see energy, blocked shots, good gap. Maybe "great" was too much. Good is fine by me. I do think your belief in the bold sentence is a bit too much, too, however. 

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I guess you and I are seeing it differently. I see energy, blocked shots, good gap. Maybe "great" was too much. Good is fine by me. I do think your belief in the bold sentence is a bit too much, too, however. 

Agreed.  Bowen would be a top 6 MIAC player.

23 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Ryder Donavan to Wisco...can’t believe I’m saying this but I don’t blame him. They have a bunch of high Enders coming in next year.

Thought for sure it would be UMD to stay home. Maybe it was just how UND has looked lately. We certainly ended up with room next yr

1 minute ago, franchise said:

Less chance he lights up UND? Numbers are way down without Worth on his line tho

That's why I say that, yes. I'd prefer he not light us up. I think it's pretty simple.... UND thinks he was best suited to wait a year and he thought differently. We'll see.

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

UND thinks he was best suited to wait a year and he thought differently. We'll see.

Is this more than a guess? I don't disagree with UND, though I'd rather he came early than bail altogether. 

Further adds to speculation that this last commit is due to something recent. I can't imagine they turned down a high end recruit coming early to bring in a 21 yr old from a low end league.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, franchise said:

Is this more than a guess? I don't disagree with UND, though I'd rather he came early than bail altogether. 

Further adds to speculation that this last commit is due to something recent. I can't imagine they turned down a high end recruit coming early to bring in a 21 yr old from a low end league.

No, no. Just a guess based on the recent commit. You said it yourself, his numbers are down. Seems logical to me that UND would ask him to wait a year if they thought he needed a year of development. We already have a solid class coming in. 

The combination of (1) Donovan going to Wisconsin (I would have understood wanting to stay home (2) Picking up another '19 recruit (MJHL) has got me really, really frustrated. I was always in the camp (still would be) that if they could only bring 4, they are bringing in the correct 4, so I wasn't as upset as some were originally. Now I am.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

The combination of (1) Donovan going to Wisconsin (I would have understood wanting to stay home (2) Picking up another '19 recruit (MJHL) has got me really, really frustrated. I was always in the camp (still would be) that if they could only bring 4, they are bringing in the correct 4, so I wasn't as upset as some were originally. Now I am.

I guess it would make sense, if say, Mismash signs so the Preds could handle his rehab. Then grabbing this new guy would make sense. Although, I'd still prefer they cut ties with a chronic underachiever and bring in Ryder. It may not be a great look for future recruits, but neither is grinding thru 4 painful yrs of a guy who can't score.

From a Schlossman article on Ness ... 

UND is expected to bring in four high-profile true freshmen next season in forwards Harrison Blaisdell, Shane Pinto, Massimo Rizzo and Grand Forks native Judd Caulfield.

Ness and Gaber will play one more year of juniors, then come in 2020.

Albrecht is a 1998 DOB. He has to come in this fall (age 21). Five forwards.

I just don't see Randklev coming in without a year of juniors after the knee injury. 

Who's out? 8, 22, 25, obviously. 

Five forwards. 

1 hour ago, franchise said:

Thought for sure it would be UMD to stay home. Maybe it was just how UND has looked lately. We certainly ended up with room next yr

Not to mention goals are quite a bit easier to score in the Big 10. Biggest differential in all of college hockey for goals scored in non conference vs. conference play

20 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

From a Schlossman article on Ness ... 

Albrecht is a 1998 DOB. He has to come in this fall (age 21). Five forwards.

I just don't see Randklev coming in without a year of juniors after the knee injury. 

Who's out? 8, 22, 25, obviously. 

Five forwards. 

No idea, and you’re right Randklev struggled in the ushl this year, he could use 1-2 more years in juniors.

2 hours ago, petey23 said:

Not to mention goals are quite a bit easier to score in the Big 10. Biggest differential in all of college hockey for goals scored in non conference vs. conference play

He’s going there because their recruiting class is juiced for next year and they have a ton of young great players on this year’s team.