SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting

Siouxhockey03

I am surprised but very pleased he chose UND because he always wears a Gophers hat when he helps with the defensemen camps in Moorhead run by Chip Ammerman. :p

It must have been a black and orange Moorhead cap that just faded over time to look maroon and gold. ;):huh:

Chip Ammerman? Is his son the defenseman on the MHS team that was on the US U-17 team with Chorney and Lee?

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is a post on USCHO by moose97 saying:

Oshie verbaly commited to NoDak last week as well. Source, his father. Got word from him in a letter dated last Wednesday (1/28).

Moose

This isn't a good enough source for me to depend on, but it's enough to get hopeful. Maybe there'll be some more official word soon ala Brian Lee's commitment so we can be done with the speculation.

Maybe we can check POI for a confirmation.

If his father actually said that, I would believe it.

The point is that the person reporting this hasn't had a lot of opportunity to show through previous experiences on the board that their information is on the up and up.

I'm not saying I don't believe it. I'm just saying that anyone can come on these boards and say anything they want. It might sound legit, but the rest of us really don't know.

Some posters have been around long enough, and have a track record of providing information that has turned out to be accurate in the long run. They have developed credibility. Others, possibly only due to the fact they have not had opportunity to provide information in the past don't have that track record that brings with it credibility.

It doesn't mean I don't believe them. I just will wait for more confirmation from other sources before I rely on the information.

My comments weren't meant as disrespect to anyone.

Boy, great posts y'all. Thanks much for shedding some light on Lee & the very likely prospect, Oshie. Not trying to get ahead of myself, but if anyone has any info on Oshie, might as well post it. Dagies can just ignore it until it becomes "official" :huh:

Not exactly a group of 25 y/o Canadians for '05 but I'll take it; will be interesting if Lee (& possibly Oshie) play(s) in the USHL his senior year. Nothin' but blue chips so far.

He is a very solid D-man, not one to jump up in the play, but a very good outlet passer. He is the guy that gets a ton of 'second' assists. At 16 most kids are about done growing, upwards anyway. I would expect Lee to put on some weight over the next few years. Are the Sioux going to recommend he plays in the USHL next year?

Anybody who wants to see Lee and Moorhead in GF, they play at EGF on Sat. Anybody know the MN high school rules about fighting? I guess my cousin was kicked out of last nights game, he better play on Sat. :huh:

If he was kicked out for fighting, I'm pretty sure he's suspended. If he is playing, what number is your cousin? I'll make sure to relay the info to my brother so that he can goat your cousin into some penalties. :p

It is amazing how the Sioux and the Gophers are picking up big chunks of their '05 recruits so soon. Even more so because they apparently are covetting the same kids. :huh:

The Sioux have:

Duncan, Lee, Chorney and likely Oshie.

Gophs have:

Bostrom, Frazee, and Stoa for '05 and Mueller for '06.

Using the Heisenburg recruiting page, MTU and UMD are the only other WCHA teams with more than one recruit or '05 verballed. Nationally Michigan has six and BC has four for '05 as well.

So much has changed since the Wooger would pick up players based on a good performance in the high school tourney.

The Sioux have: Duncan, Lee, Chorney and likely Oshie.

And this list will no doubt grow. It's no mystery that the Sioux will be decimated by losses in '05 & might even have some early departures so might as well start now--wouldn't make much sense for Blais to put future recruiting on the backburner when there are quite a few blue chippers who are a perfect match for '05 right in his backyard. Michigan will have a freshman-laden team just like us that year.

And this list will no doubt grow. It's no mystery that the Sioux will be decimated by losses in '05 & might even have some early departures so might as well start now--wouldn't make much sense for Blais to put future recruiting on the backburner when there are quite a few blue chippers who are a perfect match for '05 right in his backyard. Michigan will have a freshman-laden team just like us that year.

I agree, 05' is going to be one of the most important classes in recent history. They will be losing a lot, but I like the way Blais has started!!!!!!

Oshie didn't know about UND's hockey program before he moved to Warroad? WTF? Was he playing soccer before he moved? :huh:;) Anyway, it's good that Cary Eades showed him the "True Path". :p

Anybody have the "stats" on this guy, such as G/A/PIM and if he's as big as most of guys Blais has been recruiting lately?

If he was kicked out for fighting, I'm pretty sure he's suspended. If he is playing, what number is your cousin? I'll make sure to relay the info to my brother so that he can goat your cousin into some penalties. :huh:

He can play on Sat. I believe he wears 19 this year. He usually plays on a line with Becker, and on the PP. He is probably their biggest forward 6-2 190. I still think Moorhead is the best high school team I've seen play, at least since the Bloomington Jefferson teams of the early/mid 90's.

Was watching FSN the other day and saw the end of an interview w/ Wooger talking about MN HS hockey. He said Dave Spehar was the best high school player ever in the state. I found myself yelling at the TV, "Phil Housley you moron!"

He can play on Sat. I believe he wears 19 this year. He usually plays on a line with Becker, and on the PP. He is probably their biggest forward 6-2 190. I still think Moorhead is the best high school team I've seen play, at least since the Bloomington Jefferson teams of the early/mid 90's.

Was watching FSN the other day and saw the end of an interview w/ Wooger talking about MN HS hockey. He said Dave Spehar was the best high school player ever in the state. I found myself yelling at the TV, "Phil Housley you moron!"

I think Wooger was talking about the "best FLOATER" ever in the state. :p

Great news on Oshie. He's a bit of a mystery, as I haven't seen any mention of him at the national festivals that USHR writes up. It's hard to know how he stacks up against some of the other forwards in his age group.

Some Northern observers definitely like him, so it should be fun to watch him develop. Interesting that the commitment is for either '05 or '06. That reinforces an important point about both Oshie and Lee. They are both just high school juniors, with a lot of developing to do. We need to remember how rare it is for a player to make the jump straight from high school to the WCHA.

Anyway, with that cautionary note out of the way, it's great to hear of these commitments.

Listening to Wooger is like eating lead paint, it slowly makes you dumber.

SSM Stats

On a different note looks like Duncan and Chorney are doing well, but look at Toews - 74 points by a 10th grader, :huh: he is listed as a forward, but played D when he was at the REA, at list in the game I saw.

One other thing about Oshie and Lee - the MN HS tourney should be must-see-TV for Sioux fans this year, as both Warroad and Moorhead have great chances to advance to the tournament(s).

I don't think Woog's far off on Spehar. Try to black out everything you know about his Gopher career and go back to his glory days. In the legendary game, he was the only skater with any legs left in the later OTs, and had bunches of scoring chances. Only a superhuman goaltending effort kept him from netting the winner. Anybody know whatever happened to the goalie?

Duncan's pace has slowed a bit.

Toews is a big-time prospect, as he was the first pick in the WHL bantam draft last year. He may be the best forward his age in all of Canada. I don't know anything about the situation, but to me that says he is likely to end up playing major juniors rather than college. Maybe the director of hockey operations at his current school has some advice for him.

Too bad Wooger couldn't have hung on as goofer coach. They would still be stuck on 3. How can a guy be so inept that he can't pronounce a name like Lundbohm. I am starting to think he just does it on purpose. I can't stand listening to those guys.

I am surprised but very pleased he chose UND because he always wears a Gophers hat when he helps with the defensemen camps in Moorhead run by Chip Ammerman. :huh:

I think this says alot UND in the hockey community, and the amount of respect the coaching staff holds within it. Good to see the local players in green and white, too. Congradulations to Lee, I'm sure he will add a lot of talent to a great defensive class when he joins the Sioux.

One other thing about Oshie and Lee - the MN HS tourney should be must-see-TV for Sioux fans this year, as both Warroad and Moorhead have great chances to advance to the tournament(s).

I don't think Woog's far off on Spehar. Try to black out everything you know about his Gopher career and go back to his glory days. In the legendary game, he was the only skater with any legs left in the later OTs, and had bunches of scoring chances. Only a superhuman goaltending effort kept him from netting the winner. Anybody know whatever happened to the goalie?

Duncan's pace has slowed a bit.

Toews is a big-time prospect, as he was the first pick in the WHL bantam draft last year. He may be the best forward his age in all of Canada. I don't know anything about the situation, but to me that says he is likely to end up playing major juniors rather than college. Maybe the director of hockey operations at his current school has some advice for him.

Back when SSM came to the Ralph, I talked to a relative or a close friend of Toews. He's definitely Major Juniors bound unless he has changed his mind since last semester.