SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting

Siouxhockey03

UND only has 3 players signed for the 2004 season and no one signed for the 2005 season. Other teams are starting to sign a lot of people and I was wondering when Blais was planning on getting some solid recruits.

Radke looks like he will turn into one of the best D-man recruits in the country. Beaverson is a solid D-man also. Lamoureaux is a solid goalie who could fight for the starting job next year.

We lose Lundbohm, Hale and Palmiscno for sure on the offensive end. Parise and Bochenski could also be done after this year as well. That's up to five spots and UND doesn't have anyone signed yet?

Recruits I'd like to see Blais sign

Taylor Chorney...2003 USA U-17 team....dad said he wanted to play here

Ryan Duncan

Jon Ammerman-RD: I heard this kid is unbelievable.... I also heard that he was up here on a visit...member of the 2003 USA U-17 team..

Pierre-Paul Lamoureaux-D... very skilled, 87'

Brian Lee-RD Moorhead 6'2 180 3-27-87 2003 USA U-17 team.....I heard he was up with Ammerman......

Anyone want to add anyone to the list?

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is speculation but I really doubt Bochenski will leave early. He was a later round pick by Ottawa and that franchise is not known for throwing money at prospects. I hope I am right, Parise is hard to say but my bet is he will stay at least one more year. I think we are set at D next year but we need to find another center to replace Lundbohm.

First of all, I don't think Parise and Bochenski will leave. Bochenski's reasons are above in DAR's post.

Look at it this way. The NJ Devils just won a Stanley Cup, They aren't in dire need for a player like Zach at this time, and they are somwhat known for letting their players develop to the fullest. I think Zach will have an outstanding NHL career, when the time is right for him to go. For now, he seems to be developing well in the WCHA.

Shey Genoway (yes, Colby's brother) of S-SM prep team would be a good recruit, I have heard he is very good.

UND only has 3 players signed for the 2004 season and no one signed for the 2005 season. Other teams are starting to sign a lot of people and I was wondering when Blais was planning on getting some solid recruits.

Radke looks like he will turn into one of the best D-man recruits in the country. Beaverson is a solid D-man also. Lamoureaux is a solid goalie who could fight for the starting job next year.

We lose Lundbohm, Hale and Palmiscno for sure on the offensive end. Parise and Bochenski could also be done after this year as well. That's up to five spots and UND doesn't have anyone signed yet?

Recruits I'd like to see Blais sign

Taylor Chorney...2003 USA U-17 team....dad said he wanted to play here

Ryan Duncan

Jon Ammerman-RD: I heard this kid is unbelievable.... I also heard that he was up here on a visit...member of the 2003 USA U-17 team..

Pierre-Paul Lamoureaux-D... very skilled, 87'

Brian Lee-RD Moorhead 6'2 180 3-27-87 2003 USA U-17 team.....I heard he was up with Ammerman......

Anyone want to add anyone to the list?

Lee and Ammerman are very good, but I would not get too excited about the visit. UND is not allowed to contact either since they are juniors, so the coach picked 2 schools that they could visit. Jon's dad, Chip, knows that a letter of intent before the senior year is worthless and not legally binding. The visit was simply an opportunity to see a game for free. I would love to see either or both of these 2 at UND, but I would not hold my breath. Although Chip is a UND fan (having grown up in Roseau), both Jon Ammerman and John Lee wear Gopher hats when they help Chip teach his defensemen camp in August at the Moorhead Youth Hockey arena.

There were quite a few NHL scouts at the REA this past weekend when SSM played three games against Team North Dakota, SW Minnesota, and NW Minnesota. The Montreal Canadians and NY Rangers were very interested in Chorney, Toews, Genoway and others. One scout told me that Taylor Chorney is one of the best prep defenseman in North America. JP Parise told me that Chorney is the best '87 defenseman in the country. They said there isn't a weakness in his game. He moves the puck extemely well, he is a great skater, is very patient with the puck and has a very good shot. If he adds another inch or two, he will be a very high NHL pick. All the top programs were after him. I was told "the Gophers were all over him".

Another scout told me that Chay Genoway is farther along in his development

than Colby was at a similar age. Colby is a good skater with great skills,

but his brother has better hands and is a better skater. He has two years

to develop at SSM and should be ready for college hockey right out of high

school.

Jonathan Toews is very young, but is considered the top '88 in Canada.

Hopefully, he will decide to go the college route, but, as with Sidney

Crosby, there will be a lot of pressure on him to play MJ's in Canada. I was told

that he will most likely get a similar deal to Crosby's. Crosby

got $150K deposited in an education account. The money stays there for 6

years, so if Crosby doesn't make it to the NHL within six years he can then

withdraw the money to pay for college. His total deal was worth approx.

$350K.

Ryan Duncan was clearly the best player on the ice. He has tremendous

skills and controls the game when he's on the ice. His only drawback is

that he has David Hoogsteen size, but he also has David Hoogsteen skills. :) I'm surpised that Tom Ward came out and said that UND is recruiting him, but it's no secret that it's the Duncan family's dream to have Ryan play for the Sioux.

I'm pleased to see the number of defensemen that are lined up to join the program in the next few years, because the team will need them. Two years from now, Schneider, Jones and Fuher will definitely be gone (barring a medical redshirt), and Greene and Smaby may be also (NHL teams aren't going to leave big bruising defensemen that were second round picks in college for four years). I would be surprised to see Greene here in two years, but I think Smaby will still probably be here for his third year.

If those players left, Marvin, Bina and Foyt would remain as rostered defensemen.

So now the team has Beaverson, Radke and Chorney to add to that list. Nice.

The story at forward is similar. These guys will all have exhausted their eligiblity: Lundbohm, Hale, Palmiscno, Canady, Bochenski, Massen, McMahon, Fylling and Genoway. Also, Parise, Stafford and Murray have to be considered early departure risks, depending on how the careers of the latter two progress.

That would leave Prpich, Porter and Fabian. Do I have that right? Wow. They would need the numbers big-time. Of course, some of the early departures could very well still be around. In fact, I would expect Parise to be gone, and Stafford and Murray to be back (especially Murray because of his size).

Fun stuff. I look forward to some commitments up front.

Morgan Simonson got a concussion this week in practice and is questionable for this weekend's games. Something to keep an eye on, especially with the medical scrutiny concussions have drawn in the last few years.

He also seems to be having a little bit of trouble adjusting to the increased speed and physical style of the USHL game so far this year. It will be interesting to see if and how quickly he can improve his skills. He kind of reminds me of what Robbie Bina looked like early last year, only Morgan's got more size.

Another high-profile player headed to the Sioux! I guess that's what a $104-million arena & a winning tradition attracts. This is good news as we now have 2 mobile defensemen in Chorney & Radke that were being pursued by the Gophers...Am surprised that Duncan hasn't committed yet & he's a senior; if he is gung-ho on the Sioux you'd think he would have already signed.

You're correct, PCM: Those S-SM players sure got more than an eyeful last weekend :):)

I did go to the Saturday game and reviewed it like PCM if he suddenly woke one morning and found out he couldn't write :) But anyways, Duncan did look the best of any of the SSM players. Chorney looked solid but didn't make a lot of offensive noise. I remember he had one shot that sailed well wide of the goal. Chay was feisty. He did get the first penalty of the game. However, he did scate well. There was a player Deeth, I think his last name was, who had Fylling's hustle. And he was fast. Also there was a 6'5 dman but his feet weren't that great.

As for Toews, he's great. I met someone who was friends of the family and they expect big things from him. However, from the way he looked on the ice, which wasn't dominating by any means, its still very much in the air. Since Toews hails from Winnipeg, he may very well be a Sioux but who knows. He was young, but it was very apparent that he had mad skills.

Duncan was my first star of the Saturday game.