SiouxSports.com Forum

April 6th, 2010 - Standing Rock Council Decision

star2city

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going out on a limb and saying if Standing Rock says no today, the SBoHE will retire the nickname on Thursday.

If so, will you retire your posting on this board Thursday as well? It'll at least provide the rest of us something to look forward to.

I'm going out on a limb and saying if Standing Rock says no today, the SBoHE will retire the nickname on Thursday.

Be careful if you take your special friend "Joe" out on that limb with you. Sharp sticks and inflatable dolls can't be a good combination...

I want to know why you hate the Sioux nickname and logo? You seem to always want the State Board to retire the nickname, and do not say that you want UND in the Summit league because that is a bogus reason and you know it. I for one think that it is a great way to honor the history of the state of North Dakota and to honor the contributions of the Native American people that made North Dakota the great place that it is.

Yes, and if ifs and buts were candy and nuts, you would also have had a Merry Christmas once or twice in your life.

That probably has not happened much because it appears to be hard for anyone to love you, much less give a rats

hind end about you. So sad. Some of the things that you say are so ridiculous that they are beyond reason. Perhaps the

biggest one regarding merchandising of Sioux gear.

Standing Rock ain't gonna say no today, the Board is not going to retire the nickname on Thursday, the tribes

are coming to their senses and are now pushing guys like you out of the way, and both the name and the logo will stay.

Long past the time that we are all in our graves.

Your life will be no different once this issue is dead. Once a whiner, always a whiner.

I want to know why you hate the Sioux nickname and logo? You seem to always want the State Board to retire the nickname, and do not say that you want UND in the Summit league because that is a bogus reason and you know it. I for one think that it is a great way to honor the history of the state of North Dakota and to honor the contributions of the Native American people that made North Dakota the great place that it is.

I think that you are on to something, I think he just wants to kill the name he could give a rats ass about the Sioux getting into the Summitt league.

I don't care about the Sioux nickname/logo one way or another. Retire it or keep it, doesn't matter one bit to me. My only goal is to get UND in the Summit as quickly as possible. If retiring the nickname/logo is the easiest way to do that, then that's what I advocate.

mpls bison is NOT a bison fan, nor a summit fan. Im a summit league fan for mens and women's, and I don't want und in the league, I didnt want usd either, but alas, they probably both will get in, because tom douple said "dont schedule und til nickname is gone" but they have all scheduled them. *sigh* I know he is frustrated, and either way, the nickname is still an anchor for und.

mpls bison is NOT a bison fan, nor a summit fan. Im a summit league fan for mens and women's, and I don't want und in the league, I didnt want usd either, but alas, they probably both will get in, because tom douple said "dont schedule und til nickname is gone" but they have all scheduled them. *sigh* I know he is frustrated, and either way, the nickname is still an anchor for und.

Pretty sure that was just Taylor's excuse. Than Douple came out and said he never told schools not to schedule them, he just wasn't going to consider UND for conference affiliation until the nickname was resolved. It was just another excuse by Gene Taylor that was proven to be a lie.

I see that you are the self-proclaimed "Summit League's biggest fan"... So if that is true, shouldn't you want the league to prosper and get the best teams/schools possible? And if so, wouldn't UND and USD help the cause? By all the empty seats disguised as fans at the almighty Summit League Basketball tournament, it looks like the league could use quite a few more of you "biggest fan" types in the seats.

And I also have to wonder....What the Hell are you even doing on this board, anyway? The Bison trolls have really been coming out of the woodwork lately. I would think that you would have enough subject matter to cover on Bisonville, or whatever the Hell that board is called. (Never been there, have no reason to either)

Just for starters,

-You have Chapman's mansion to discuss.

-You have the upcoming audits to discuss.

-You have the Bison football team getting in the Rewards Zone at Best Buy more than the endzone at the dome to discuss.

-You have the mighty Summit League, with all its prestige, to discuss.

-You have last year's brief NCAA appearance for winning the aforementioned prestigious Summit BB tourney to discuss.

-You have the flood video that MplsBison Boy seems to sport wood over, to discuss.

-You have the Sioux/Bison baseball series, and the huge crowds, to discuss.

- You could even discuss why you are the Summit League's Biggest fan, and why somehow MplsBison isn't a Bison fan or a Summit fan. I wonder if he knows that he's not a fan....And if he's not, why does he spend so damn much time over here talking about Whiskey Joe, the Bison, and the Summit.

Maybe the both of you could go back over there and fight over who really is the biggest Summit League fan....That would surely be a verbal banquet of epic proportions....

This resolution makes no sense. Wait for the SBoHE to take action before taking action itself? That doesn't even make sense. Everyone knows the SBoHE needs approval from both tribes or it has no choice on what action to take (dropping the name). Very disappointing. The tribal council either has no understanding of the settlement agreement, or this was a disguised vote against the Sioux nickname. I can't think of any other way to interpret this action.

In any event, the nickname is as good as gone now.

This resolution makes no sense. Wait for the SBoHE to take action before taking action itself? That doesn't even make sense. Everyone knows the SBoHE needs approval from both tribes or it has no choice on what action to take (dropping the name). Very disappointing. The tribal council either has no understanding of the settlement agreement, or this was a disguised vote against the Sioux nickname. I can't think of any other way to interpret this action.

It's a passive aggressive way for the SR Council to pass the buck. Those council members remain opposed to the name.

The resolution of the ND Supreme Court case possibly is delaying the SBoHE taking action.

The SBoHE almost has to state to the SR Council that a referendum should proceed.

Barring that, the Standing Rock people have to show up at the next council meeting and let their voices be heard. That's not likely.

Fighting Cavalry here we come!

Let's go Cav, let's go Cav, let's go Cav!!!

The SBoHE, UND president and athletic director, and I believe, Charles Murphy want the name eliminated.

They just don't want to be blamed for it. I have been suspicious of Murphy's real stand on this issue for a long time. By all appearances he is just playing a waiting game with the SBoHE, letting them make the move on eliminating the name. Once they drop the name then Murphy has an out...he didn't get enough time to bring this to a vote. If Murphy was in favor of the nickname or a least in favor of putting it to a vote I believe something positive would have happened today. Looks like a game of hot patato going on...in this case they are passing the nickname around and I think the SBoHE will pull the plug on the music this week.

If the nickname is dropped prior to the deadline I will put full blame on the SB0HE, Kelley, and Faison. If it goes to the deadline without approval and without a vote on SR then the full blame goes on Murphy.

The SBoHE, UND president and athletic director, and I believe, Charles Murphy want the name eliminated.

They just don't want to be blamed for it. I have been suspicious of Murphy's real stand on this issue for a long time. By all appearances he is just playing a waiting game with the SBoHE, letting them make the move on eliminating the name. Once they drop the name then Murphy has an out...he didn't get enough time to bring this to a vote. If Murphy was in favor of the nickname or a least in favor of putting it to a vote I believe something positive would have happened today. Looks like a game of hot patato going on...in this case they are passing the nickname around and I think the SBoHE will pull the plug on the music this week.

If the nickname is dropped prior to the deadline I will put full blame on the SB0HE, Kelley, and Faison. If it goes to the deadline without approval and without a vote on SR then the full blame goes on Murphy.

This might be a dumb question but is there a way to contact the State Board and let them know how we feel about this issue and that they need to give it time to have Standing Rock vote on it. I am not sure if there is a way to get those phone numbers or email addresses.

Actually, it's interesting in a way.

Let's consider another angle. Maybe what Standing Rock is doing is trying to get a definitive ccomittment from SBofE on what it intends to do IF there is an election and the name is favored.

Because let's be real about it, even if a vote is done and goes the way we think it will, the SBofE could say that it isn't enough and demand some Tribal Counsel degree regarding timelines of approval and stipulations of no reversal bla bla bla (yada, yada, yada as Myles would say).

So maybe they want to hear what the SBofE is going to do IF the resolution passes??

I don't care about the Sioux nickname/logo one way or another. Retire it or keep it, doesn't matter one bit to me. My only goal is to get UND in the Summit as quickly as possible. If retiring the nickname/logo is the easiest way to do that, then that's what I advocate.

Typical Liberal statement....always deciding what's best for others instead of letting them decide for themselves.

As I have stated before, I would submit to whatever the tribes decided, up or down. The way this is moving, the people of SR don't even have chance to have their voice heard. I appreciate the effort by Archie Fool Bear and am sorry he didn't get a chance to complete it. Very disappointing. :lol: