SiouxSports.com Forum

2009 - 2010 ND High School Hockey

Ray77

I'm surprised to see that a thread on this did not previously exist. Any thoughts on this topic? Who are the teams to beat? How have the "big" games gone so far this season? Who are the players to watch? What are the big remaining games from here on out?

Your usual teams are at the top, this season I would say the team to beat would be GF Central. Two losses this season, one to Apple Valley which I beleive they were outshot that game 27-22, the other loss was at Grafton, they lost 2-1 but outshot the Spoilers 49-15.......but I know shots on net don't win games, but it is a measure of how the game was played. Post season though, anybody can beat anybody. Grafton, come post season and state, they are always a scary team.

At least in the East, it is a very weird season. Normally you have a top group of teams. Not so much this year. For example, even though Grafton beat Central and Red River, they also lost to most of the Fargo teams, including North. But then North went and lost to DL, who hasn't beat any of the top teams. I think it is going to be a heck of a regional tournament. I really think some teams just match up better with others and depending on who plays who, there could be some surprises sneaking in. I woud say everyone in the top 7 have a chance to make state. It all depends on their opponents over that 3 day stretch.

• 3 weeks later...
Wow, Central looks invincible. I don't see anybody beating them at state.

I agree completely. Last night's game looked like men against boys. Central looked like they were on a PP almost the whole game. We'll see how South fares against them tonight, but at this point I'd say if Central doesn't win State it'll be amazing. Admittedly I haven't watched hardly any HS hockey this year.

First time ever in Red River's 43 years of existence (since 1967) that they haven't made the state tournament after losing to West Fargo, 2-1.

Bottineau, with an enrollment around 200, makes the tournament for the first time since 1993 and gets to play Central.

Boy's Tournament

Thursday, February 25th: at Engelstad Main Arena - Grand Forks, N.D.

12:00 PM: #1W-Bismarck High vs #4E-West Fargo

2:30 PM: #2E-Fargo South vs #3W-Williston

6:00 PM #1E-G.F. Central vs #4W-Bottineau

8:30 PM #2W-Bismarck Century vs #3E-Grafton/Park River

was told a couple of days ago students in Grand Forks are not allowed to switch schools for sports......

RUMOR OR TRUTH???

They can switch but I believe it depends on things. Johnson who plays for Central is in RR district. That's why he was at RR last year as an 8th grader. You have to go to your district school if you are not in HS yet but once in HS you can switch. I belive in any sport. What about Simonson...he's also in RR district.

They can switch but I believe it depends on things. Johnson who plays for Central is in RR district. That's why he was at RR last year as an 8th grader. You have to go to your district school if you are not in HS yet but once in HS you can switch. I belive in any sport. What about Simonson...he's also in RR district.

ik this is the current policy.. but i heard it has changed so this is no longer possible.

I am very excited for the tournament this year. Central will hands down win the championship, but its great that you see schools like West Fargo and Bottineau making the tournament. Besides the Central vs. Bottineau game, you could argue that this should be one of the best first rounds in state tournament history. Bismarck vs. West Fargo is anyone's guess, Williston vs. Fargo South should be good, and Grafton and Bismarck Century should be a good late game as well.

Congrats to Bottineau! They will lose to Central, but its great for those kids to take the trip to the Ralph!

Central also lost to South in the last regular season game of the year, 4-1 and shots were pretty even. That said, Central dismantled South in the Regional title game.

My tourney predictions:

Central should handle Bottineau (the only 4W seed to ever beat a 1E was BC in 2002, upsetting FN).

The rest of games IMO are a toss up. We could see three W teams advance for the first time, but we could also see an E sweep.

Fargo South vs. Williston should be a good game, FS lost to both Bismarck teams late in the season, and Williston was the top rated West team much of the year. I'm going to pick Williston in a semi upset.

GPR vs. BC. I'm leaning towards BC to win this game, but I'll go against my gut and pick the Spoilers (who are in state with one of their poorest teams in a long time). In the BH/WF matchup, also a very good game. I believe this game goes into OT and BH pulls out the win. However, I wouldn't be surprised with WF winning either, they have solid defense, and a calm goaltender. If the WF forwards work hard and back check, the game could be theirs.

Central will win the tournament, defeating Bismarck High in the final.

Williston leading Fargo South 3-1 with a few seconds remaining. Looks like there will be an all-western semifinal: Williston vs Bismarck

Williston tallies two ENGs and wins 4-1.

No GF Red River at the tournament.

Fargo South out of contention by 5 pm Thursday.

Mercy.

the no red river at the tourney... i'm with you on the mercy, that's one hell of a streak that got broken.

williston over south... im not that surprised. williston has a veteran tested goalie who played fantastic today. and the leading scorer and best player this year in the state of nd, jordan neslon tallied 2 goals and 2 assists to get in on all 4 williston goals. im sure all the east siders will give me a laundry list of players who are better, but you won't convince me. he's got size, speed, grit and can flat out score. i love the fact that we will see at least one west team in the championship this year.

im also with the majority here that central will be a tough team to beat, they have a very solid team.

I graduated from Central in 1993. Back when I was going to school there, anything less than a State Championship was considered a disappointing season. During the 1990's and 2000's (with the exception of 2002-2005), it devolved into "Oh, look, we made State this year! This is awesome!" :silly: It's good to see Central back to their old dominant self.