SiouxSports.com Forum

2010 Olympics - Hockey

AZSIOUX

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the pros first began to play in the Olympics I was against it. I always liked our amateurs. I've done a complete 180. This Olympic tournament has been some of the best hockey I've seen. It's like an all star game but the guys are not only going full out, they are totally selling out to win. Every country is loaded with top NHL talent, so the tournament is very competitive, and it's great to see our homegrown boys compete and win.

What a game tonight and what a day for the game of hockey (with the 3 rivalry games today).

I hope the NHL owners allow the pros to play in future Olympics. To not do so would be shortsighted. The exposure for the sport is great and can only help to grow the sport.

Not every team is filled with NHL stars. That Belarus/Germany game was a rough one to watch, though Germany did make it exciting with 3 minutes left.

We played a really good game tonight.

The media wasn't even as biased as I thought.

However, we got REALLLLLLY lucky with the officiating. In other words, there were some questionable noncalls that would have gone against us.

Oh well.

The downshot of all of this is that it wasn't the medal round and like hell will Canada be this "easy" then.

We played a really good game tonight.

The media wasn't even as biased as I thought.

However, we got REALLLLLLY lucky with the officiating. In other words, there were some questionable noncalls that would have gone against us.

Oh well.

The downshot of all of this is that it wasn't the medal round and like hell will Canada be this "easy" then.

Why can't they be biased in liking the US? (though I'm thinking you mean Canada if I took one of your posts from a while back correctly). Doc Emerik is awesome and loves college hockey players. He used to do the CSTV Friday Night College Hockey if I'm not mistaken. Wasn't the color guy (Eddie Olzyck?) a US Olympian?

The only person I can think that you are so worried about is Pierre Maguire who is Canadian, but he wasn't working for NBC tonight as I'm sure he was on the Canadian broadcast as he also works for TSN.

Why can't they be biased in liking the US? (though I'm thinking you mean Canada if I took one of your posts from a while back correctly). Doc Emerik is awesome and loves college hockey players. He used to do the CSTV Friday Night College Hockey if I'm not mistaken. Wasn't the color guy (Eddie Olzyck?) a US Olympian?

The only person I can think that you are so worried about is Pierre Maguire who is Canadian, but he wasn't working for NBC tonight as I'm sure he was on the Canadian broadcast as he also works for TSN.

Wikipedia confirms he's from Illinois and played for Team USA in the 1984 Sarajevo Olympics

Holy crap that was an amazing game to watch! I was sweating bulllets late in the 3rd when Canada was pouring it on (BEFORE pulling their goalie) and the US scored the late (and acrobatic) empty-netter!

I'm really proud of not only the guys that played at UND but all the familiar opponents we played against in the recent frozen fours - WOW! Anyone that says NCAA Hockey (feeding the NHL) is a "minor sport" is a !@#!$!!! These guys proved they were WORLD CLASS ATHLETES tonight on the world stage and former UND players were front and center on both teams! I just want to be neutral and say GO SIOUX!!! :D

I swear Pierre McGuire is an American....and just loves Canadian hockey. I could be wrong. I've heard this somewhere.

Looking like this is how it will end up. USA heading into the playoffs with a lot of momentum. That's not a bad draw, but you still have to win the games.

1 USA

8 Switzerland

9 Belarus

4 Finland

5 Czech Republic

12 Latvia

2Sweden

7 Slovakia

10 Norway

3 Russia

6 Canada

11 Germany

Sweden, Russia AND Canada in the opposite bracket. USA has a once-in-a-generation opportunity. Let's make something of it, boys.

I thought it was going to be harder watching Toews playing for Canada, but after the game started I was like "Don't let Toews hang around the net, knock him outta there."

American first I guess.

Travis Zajac is easily my favorite player of all, but Toews is easily my 2nd favorite player to watch. I also thought it was going to be tough watching Toews play for Canada, but I found myself yelling "Crush him" when he was skating effortlessly with the puck in the US zone.

I also have an observation, hasn't Canada used the formula of role players over talented players in their recent run of World Junior championships? It seems to me that Canada's Olympic team is full of talent and not enough role players, where as the US has the right mixture if role players to go with their high end talent.

Thoughts?

I thought it was going to be harder watching Toews playing for Canada, but after the game started I was like "Don't let Toews hang around the net, knock him outta there."

American first I guess.

I had similar thinking....If Canada got the better of us, I wanted Toews to do the damage. Not a bad night for Sconnie & NCAA hockey.

Wisconsin: Rafalski (2G, 1A), Heatley (1G), Suter (2A); Michigan St.: Miller (3 goals allowed on 45 shots), Duncan Keith (1A); UND: Toews (2A), Parise (1A); BU: Drury (1G); Ohio St.: Kesler (1G); Mankato St.: Backes (1A). Did I forget anyone?

Awesome game that lived up to its hype. How great to watch former Sioux Toews and Parise play so well. Keep skatin', Team USA, and get that gold!

I agree. As much as I was pulling for the US, every time Toews had the puck part of me was pulling for him to take the shot. :):D

One of the headlines from the online edition of the Toronto Globe and Mail was "Black Sunday". :angry: