SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs Team USA

AZSIOUX

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am getting really, really tired of watching Eidsness go behind the net to play the puck. Every time he does I flash back to the Final Five last year.

;)

I like it better when he's beside the net and it's a race between him and the enemy with the puck to see who will get back to the front first, that really gets the old ticker pumping.

I think I heard somewhere that one of the players on the roster has a dad that's played a few games at goalie in some beer-league. Maybe he could coach-up Eids and Dell.

"NHL" stands for National Hefeweisen League, so that's a beer-league, right? ;)

Yes, that would be brilliant...all we need is for Eids and Dell to start emulating Hexy Sr. ;) At least that would keep guys away from the net. And that guy knew how to shoot a puck too, so puck handling skills would improve.

I yell at him all time through the glass. My seats are right behind him.

He doesn't pay any attention to me either.

;)

It worked better when I was in GF because I could yell in person like I could with Phil...but he didn't always listen either...I swear that one of these days, I am going to go Coach Bombay on them and tape them to the net to keep them there.

I say boo Blais and Kristo! ;) I remember that happening to Jeff Ulmer the year after he left college and he came back to play the Sioux with the Canadian National Team. The entire student section during warm-ups, "ULMER, ULMER...YOU SUCK!!!" ;) Jeff thought it was pretty funny too.

Hey, I thought Eidsness stayed in his crease pretty well at least at one point. UW's Street thanked him.

I don't mind leaving the crease to attack the shooter provided it's not too far. He's all about the angle. Take away the angle and there's nothing to shoot at. Too deep in the crease and you forfeit high. Too far and you could get skated around or easily put out of position if another player gets behind you or you give up a rebound.

Eidsness does raise the old heart beat, but not more than JPL did. Heck, I seem to recall Goehring did a bit of meandering as well.

The one example I can remember of someone who genuinely did a poor job of it was Siembida... but then again, I have never seen any other goaltender (other than him) basically skate halfway to the near faceoff circle to take a shot, get too planted and simply watch as the winger skated by him and potted an empty net goal...

But I understand the gripe.

Hey, at least we don't have to worry the same way I did (at least) regarding JPar. It seems like he'd get run twice a game his last year with the Sioux.

that is coorect, didnt think about that. i have no clue if a goalie coach is a big deal or not but i would have to guess it would help out if it was possible to hire one. karl goehring is also helping elsewhere but one of those 2 would be nice to have as a full time goalie coach. do many college teams have them? i know nhl teams do but wasnt sure on college

I immediately thought of Karl Goehring before reading your post as well. The guy has a lot of professional experience, albeit mostly AHL. I've talked to Karl a few times and he seems to like Grand Forks, and as of not that long ago I know he still had a home in Grand Forks despite playing in other cities. He's currently coaching with the Syracuse Crunch, but it might be a good fit to bring him back "home." He has a couple young kids and it might be nice to settle down in a place you know and [presumably] loves. GF is a tight-knit community and a great place to raise a family, plus he'd be able to continue to do what he loves.

I immediately thought of Karl Goehring before reading your post as well. The guy has a lot of professional experience, albeit mostly AHL. I've talked to Karl a few times and he seems to like Grand Forks, and as of not that long ago I know he still had a home in Grand Forks despite playing in other cities. He's currently coaching with the Syracuse Crunch, but it might be a good fit to bring him back "home." He has a couple young kids and it might be nice to settle down in a place you know and [presumably] loves. GF is a tight-knit community and a great place to raise a family, plus he'd be able to continue to do what he loves.

If I am not mistaken I think he still does live in Grand Forks, ND because I saw him out in the neighbor hood walking with the kids and wife.

The NHL Network's promotional ad urges viewer to watch the game so they can see future NHLers.

Which made me wonder - "on a typical roster" UND vs USA National U-20 Team, which has more future NHLers?

* The recent Sioux teams have been in the 7-12 range.

* Not sure how Team USA has been ...

Anyone have a sense?

The NHL Network's promotional ad urges viewer to watch the game so they can see future NHLers.

Which made me wonder - "on a typical roster" UND vs USA National U-20 Team, which has more future NHLers?

* The recent Sioux teams have been in the 7-12 range.

* Not sure how Team USA has been ...

Anyone have a sense?

on the coach's show the other night they mentioned something like a combined 36 between the two squads.

i think we have 16 or so not counting genoway who will play in the nhl someday

That's a bold statement there AZ. :huh:

I kindfully disagree. He'll be Duncan-esque. Very good in college, but doesn't have the body type to make it in the NHL. I hope he proves me wrong, but that's just how I see it.

I kindfully disagree. He'll be Duncan-esque. Very good in college, but doesn't have the body type to make it in the NHL. I hope he proves me wrong, but that's just how I see it.

Not to be argumentive but I think Chay has a chance of playing at the next level. I could see someone coming a long and saying, Genoway you're now a forward.

Not to be argumentive but I think Chay has a chance of playing at the next level. I could see someone coming a long and saying, Genoway you're now a forward.

i don't usually agree with big a hg's views on genoway, but i do here. i do not think he is an nhl forward, and i think his size may be his limiting factor on defense. he is an extremely talented hockey player, and maybe his skating and puck handling will be enough to overcome his size, and i hope he does as he is one of my favorite sioux, but you just don't see many nhl dmen his size.

i don't usually agree with big a hg's views on genoway, but i do here. i do not think he is an nhl forward, and i think his size may be his limiting factor on defense. he is an extremely talented hockey player, and maybe his skating and puck handling will be enough to overcome his size, and i hope he does as he is one of my favorite sioux, but you just don't see many nhl dmen his size.

Chay has always reminded me a little like Jason Blake. Blake isn't very big. We will see in the future.

Chay has always reminded me a little like Jason Blake. Blake isn't very big. We will see in the future.
I just want him back on this team by the start of the new year.I give him a 50/50 shot at making the NHL.First things first though,and that is getting back on the ice for our favorite team.

I agree. I don't see him moving to forward, and I compare him to Curtis Murphy, who had a successful AHL career but never made it to the big show.

That's a bold statement there AZ. ;)

thats fine :huh: not saying he will be a every night player but i think he will play in she show someday. if you skate like chay skates along with his offensive skills that seperates some players with he lack of size. hope he makes it someday

go sioux, beat USA and dont hit kristo that hard :(