SiouxSports.com Forum

Gophers-Maine

NorthDakotaHockey

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

crap, crap, crap...'nuf said...I expected MORE trash from SOME of you tho...but hey, the night is young and the beer is still cold!

It's too early in the season. As I recall, the Gophers didn't exactly rocket to a great start last season and look how that turned out.

REALITY CHECK

UMN did not look good tonight, but it is VERY early. I'm sure they are still hung over from being 2 time champs (I hope with all the fiber of my being that the Sioux should someday soon be so fortunate). I'd feel a lot better if they lost the 1st round of the NCAA's 4-0 instead of the 1st game of the season. And make no mistake about it, they will make the NCAA's this season, regardless of how much I would like for it to be otherwise. As Woogie, in his somewhat less than infinite wisdom (understatement of recorded history), stated, this may be just exactly what UMN needed.

Hey jk --- what's up? Can't you feel the love? Yes, this should be on your USCHO thread "Attention Gopher Haters" -- and yes, the title pulled me in :D but I really try not to post on USCHO 'cause you all play mean over there.

Tough loss for the gophers, of course they'll bounce back with a vengeance. The hardest thing to swallow for the gophers would have to be these two stats: 80+% return of point scorers and 90+ games without being shut out. No question that the gophers are the team to beat come March/April. The most important stat for the gophers is, what, 2+ years without back to back losses. UNO is in for a world of hurt.

Phoenix beats StL in overtime -- Tanabe from Kolanos -- Sejna had powerplay time earlier in the game.

SFiP -- yep to all the above -- scoring change on Fox news -- Kolonas tipped Tanabe's shot. I still have problems saying Krys Kolonas (sp) name -- d*mn BC eagle! Good reps from college hockey in the P vs. StL game. It's nice to have the fox sports package. No Panzer, didn't see Pohl either, aren't they both in Worchester?

SFiP -- yep to all the above -- scoring change on Fox news -- Kolonas tipped Tanabe's shot. I still have problems saying Krys Kolonas (sp) name -- d*mn BC eagle! Good reps from college hockey in the P vs. StL game. It's nice to have the fox sports package. No Panzer, didn't see Pohl either, aren't they both in Worchester?

Didn't see Jeff Taffe, either, unless the 'Otes traded him. They'll be opening a new arena in Glendale this December. Tanabe didn't grow up in GF, did he?

Like everyone said, it's early in the season. Does this series count nationally or is it an exhibition game?

Like I said earlier, I expect UM to get it's losses over with early in the season. It's kinda on the same par with the McNaughton Cup. Not all that important as long as you can bring home the NC.

So the Sioux may have #1 ranking the first half of the season. Sounds like last year. Except we don't have as many cupcakes this year. I'm getting nervous for the BC series.

Who'da thunk it. Wisco and UAA get the only WCHA honor last night. With a bit to MDU.

Panzer and Pohl are both at Worcester. Panzer was sent just before the Ralph game (but was brought back to play in it); Pohl was sent on the final cut, I believe. Taffe is somewhere punching after the whistle, I would guess.

kr, I just posted that on USCHO because Lucia really has proven the first half of the year to be meaningless. Just post a good enough record to be in position in the second half. I got tired last year of all the woofing by siouxiniminny and UNDLAW, and I hope we don't have to put up with so much of that this year if the Sioux do well.

Of course, if someone wants to take pleasure from MN's loss last night, who am I to say they can't? It would be practically un-American of me.

sprig, did you see that UNO first goal was scored by Murray's buddy, Nikiforuk?

sprig, did you see that UNO first goal was scored by Murray's buddy, Nikiforuk?

Saw that; I was hoping Niki may end up a Sioux as good as he and Brady looked together on the SA videos. Little guy, but a heck of a scorer in juniors; tough, too.

Even though the early loss means little to Minnie, any losses to HE teams could have implications for a WCHA bubble team come tourney selection time. Don't expect either Minnie or the Sioux to be on that bubble, however.

BTW, are the CCHA games (Mich/Miami, Ferris/WMU,) league games, already?

jk -- you were right to post it -- you were the voice of the sane sioux fan -- I just figured not too many people would taunt the gopher fans this early in the season -- but it looks like some have already started -- I figure with their hockey team's loss and the implosion of their football team there isn't too much more that needs to be said ......

It seems funny :0 to me that the Gophers would struggle with two teams in the same weekend, but the Sioux somehow have consistency! I'm not (totally) anti-Gopher, and appreciate their depth and talent (like the Sioux year-to-year), but UNO doesn't seem to be the power team, and the Gophers are looking at a 3-peat....or are they??? :D

I'm happy to watch Leopold and Vanek when they go big, but to hear my buddie's brag about the National Title in-hand before the season starts is not something I'm prepared to consume!

I know that our team is said to have an easy schedule, (I've heard this all too often) but when MN struggles, it's nice to know I'm in GREEN! ;)

I'd love to be in Lucia's position right now, in truth. He knows his teams strengths and that they have a good chance to win regardless of scores so he can do what we all can't: expirement. He can try things that may not actually work and not think about it because he knows that his team can come from behind relatively easy. Comon, we had a 3-0 lead against them and blew it last season. UNO did the same thing.

The Gophers aren't truly worried about their rank it seems. They are serious about finding their own weaknesses and their opponents' strengths so that, further down the road, if they face them, they know how to exploit. It's interesting that this is happening with their current goaltending, but I think it's close to the truth.

You know what? I don't think we'll see UM play to their NC capabilities to their fullest until 11/7 at the Ralph. But then again I don't know their schedule. They lost to Maine. It surely won't be their only loss. I am just curious to see where they'll be come February and March.

I just posted that on USCHO because Lucia really has proven the first half of the year to be meaningless.

I think the Bulldogs proved that having a bad first half CAN hurt you, so I have no idea what you are saying. Losing early in the season counts the same as a loss at the end of the season. Gone are the days when being hot down the stretch gets you more consideration. Bulldogs won 12 of 16 to finish the season last year and got shafted due to that rule change. Gophs could be in the same danger if they lose a few more games to weaker opponents. I think you may mean that the first week or two may hold little meaning.