SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs OHIO ST.

AZSIOUX

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, things are different for me when I see the game live. So, not too many comments because the angle isn't as good from my seat as it is when you are seeing a well camera'd game in several cases.

1. I didn't see Zajac or Malone's goals. Both times I was screened by an idiot who couldn't wait until after the puck was frozen to move. :)

2. I hope UND doesn't play like they did in the first period tonight. Miami would stomp us.

3. I've not seen more whiffs on wide open nets than I saw OSU and Miami whiff on yesterday.

4. Fienhage's pass to Zajac (upon replay review) was beautiful.

5. I think we could have scored more if we had players who one timed it more. We seemed to get great set ups but couldn't shoot the puck right away.

6. I'm starting to see both sides of the argument on Kristo. Great talent, needs to share a bit more. On the other hand, the more we pass, the more likely the puck will leave the zone. It will eventually hop over a stick or get intercepted.

7. Powerplay still really isn't there. Great start of the year on the powerplay, but it's faded fast.

8. Hey, guess what! CJ Beaurline and B-Shep actually reffed a good game!

9. Eidsness was good but not great.

10. The game looked a lot closer live than it did on the scoreboard.

On the other hand, the more we pass, the more likely the puck will leave the zone. It will eventually hop over a stick or get intercepted.

I think this has been our biggest problem throughout Hak's tenure at UND. Now, I think Hak does a great job with the team, and proved that his first 4 years. However, it seems like we're always looking for the perfect play on the PP. Just shoot the puck. It's not just this year.. I recall our final game against BC (J Toews last year) when we were on the PP and we just passed it around, though we were behind. If I remember correctly, Brian Lee finally scored with 11 seconds left, putting us within 1, but with only 11 seconds left, not much time left. PP goals, or any other goals for that matter, do not have to be pretty. Send the big guys, such as Malone, in front of the net to pick up the garbage. The crossing of pointmen on the PP does not impress me. Goals do!

Ok, things are different for me when I see the game live. So, not too many comments because the angle isn't as good from my seat as it is when you are seeing a well camera'd game in several cases.

1. I didn't see Zajac or Malone's goals. Both times I was screened by an idiot who couldn't wait until after the puck was frozen to move. :)

2. I hope UND doesn't play like they did in the first period tonight. Miami would stomp us.

3. I've not seen more whiffs on wide open nets than I saw OSU and Miami whiff on yesterday.

4. Fienhage's pass to Zajac (upon replay review) was beautiful.

5. I think we could have scored more if we had players who one timed it more. We seemed to get great set ups but couldn't shoot the puck right away.

6. I'm starting to see both sides of the argument on Kristo. Great talent, needs to share a bit more. On the other hand, the more we pass, the more likely the puck will leave the zone. It will eventually hop over a stick or get intercepted.

7. Powerplay still really isn't there. Great start of the year on the powerplay, but it's faded fast.

8. Hey, guess what! CJ Beaurline and B-Shep actually reffed a good game!

9. Eidsness was good but not great.

10. The game looked a lot closer live than it did on the scoreboard.

I have a theory on this one....that is that they wanted Miami and Ohio State to think that they were good refs in case their services are ever not needed in the WCHA. They don't want to show their true tendencies because then they wouldn't get hired elsewhere..

Just a theory!

The comments about or our offense and PP seems to be one thing to me. It's very robotic. I don't know if this is Hak's doing or what, but it seems like everyone is just worried about "running the offense" like in basketball. Everyone just looks for the next guy in the play to pass the puck to instead of worrying about scoring. We especially do this when we cycle a lot. It seems like a lot of times the guys just keep cycling and cycling and everyone ends up out of position or the puck gets taken away.

1. I didn't see Zajac or Malone's goals. Both times I was screened by an idiot who couldn't wait until after the puck was frozen to move. :angry:

I just thought I'd let you know it was a thing of beauty. Trupp totally sold the zeroes that he was going to the one side of the goal and dropped the pass off to Malone for an easy goal.

I feel sorry that you missed it.

;)

I have not read much of this

But I have got to say last nights game was boring

we played down to their level

alot of the rebounds that came out - would of been goals against a good team

it got better & were moments of looking good

but over all I was disappointed

theres some talent that needs to step it up

& some veterans that are not much better than before (that could be) & could lead them out of this funk

& some veterans that are not much better than before (that could be) & could lead them out of this funk

This is one thing I brought up last year. It seems like everyone's seniors are dramatically better than when they were freshmen, whereas ours don't seem to improve much over the years.

I think this has been our biggest problem throughout Hak's tenure at UND. Now, I think Hak does a great job with the team, and proved that his first 4 years. However, it seems like we're always looking for the perfect play on the PP. Just shoot the puck. It's not just this year.. I recall our final game against BC (J Toews last year) when we were on the PP and we just passed it around, though we were behind. If I remember correctly, Brian Lee finally scored with 11 seconds left, putting us within 1, but with only 11 seconds left, not much time left. PP goals, or any other goals for that matter, do not have to be pretty. Send the big guys, such as Malone, in front of the net to pick up the garbage. The crossing of pointmen on the PP does not impress me. Goals do!

That's why, in my armchair coach's position, I would institute the rule of 3. Every third touch in the offensive zone must be shot on net. Example: Blood outlet passes to Vandevelde (1) who carries it into the zone and passes it to Gregoire (2) who passes across to Kristo (3). Kristo would then HAVE to make an attempt to get the puck on net. We could shoot at any time previous to the 3rd pass if they wish. I just think that we can live without endless passing and cycling. It helps the other team too much. Sure, a good cycle is basic to a good scoring chance in this system, but too much cycle doesn't accomplish anything.

I have a theory on this one....that is that they wanted Miami and Ohio State to think that they were good refs in case their services are ever not needed in the WCHA. They don't want to show their true tendencies because then they wouldn't get hired elsewhere..

Just a theory!

A nice theory but why would B-Shep leave the WCHA when he's got the ultimate safety net? Do you honestly think Daddy dearest would do anything to him? As for Beaurline, maybe this is moreso. He's new to the official ranks (I believe he was an AR for a long while) so he'll be corrupted soon enough.

I just thought I'd let you know it was a thing of beauty. Trupp totally sold the zeroes that he was going to the one side of the goal and dropped the pass off to Malone for an easy goal.

;)

You're sorry I missed it? I'm sorry I missed it! I was pissed. :angry:

And Fetch- You're right, 2/3rds of the game was boring.

:angry:

It was a masterpiece of misdirection. It happened right in front of me, and I still barely saw it. Trupp crossed behind the net, and he passed it in the same motion as if he were stickhandling. All the Zeroes followed him, and when he passed it back to Malone, the net was wide open and Malone could have pushed it in with a dustpan.

Trupp has been on a roll...