SiouxSports.com Forum

BTHC - Alvarez and OSU want to make it happen?

star2city

Yeah they are so attractive and have such a storied and honor tradition of playing Hockey. ;);):lol:

If you read more carefully, I said that with a total disregard to hockey since Big 10 expansion was brought up.

Those are 2 schools that would fit in geographically, academically, and athletically. Rutgers would be huge to adding the New York viewing market for television and conference exposure. Pitt is usually pretty strong in football and basketball, and is decent athletically. Obviously the best fit is ND, but that doesn't seem feasible. I find it highly unlikely that the BTHC, if created, would take a school not in the Big 10. I also find it highly unlikely that ND will want to be conference affiliated, when they get to play a cupcake schedule that should lead to an easy BCS game. Or the biggest road block...their NBC TV deal where they are sharing the money with NO ONE is way too lucrative to pass up just to be conference affiliated.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you read more carefully, I said that with a total disregard to hockey since Big 10 expansion was brought up.

Those are 2 schools that would fit in geographically, academically, and athletically. Rutgers would be huge to adding the New York viewing market for television and conference exposure. Pitt is usually pretty strong in football and basketball, and is decent athletically. Obviously the best fit is ND, but that doesn't seem feasible. I find it highly unlikely that the BTHC, if created, would take a school not in the Big 10. I also find it highly unlikely that ND will want to be conference affiliated, when they get to play a cupcake schedule that should lead to an easy BCS game. Or the biggest road block...their NBC TV deal where they are sharing the money with NO ONE is way too lucrative to pass up just to be conference affiliated.

I think you're right, I would add Missouri to the short list as well, again without regard to hockey of course.

I think you're right, I would add Missouri to the short list as well, again without regard to hockey of course.

I have also seen Missouri mentioned before related to the Big Ten, but had forgotten about them. The short list seems to be Notre Dame, Missouri, Pittsburgh, Rutgers and Syracuse. Notre Dame is the only one of those schools that currently has hockey, but I believe that Syracuse has a strong club program and has discussed adding the sport.

I have also seen Missouri mentioned before related to the Big Ten, but had forgotten about them. The short list seems to be Notre Dame, Missouri, Pittsburgh, Rutgers and Syracuse. Notre Dame is the only one of those schools that currently has hockey, but I believe that Syracuse has a strong club program and has discussed adding the sport.

The Big Ten order of preference:

1. Notre Dame (they will remain uninterested)

2. Syracuse (upstate NY, some of NYC, history, basketball strength, rival to Penn State, academics and research, side note: would add hockey)

3. Rutgers (NJ and NYC tv audience, academics and research)

4. Missouri (both KC and StL markets, academics and research)

Pitt, although meets the Big Ten requirements, doesn't add many TV's - Penn State delivers PA by itself

long shots: Maryland, BC, Texas, Kansas, Nebraska

no chance: Iowa State (meets the academic and research requirements, but adds no new media), Cincinnati, Kentucky, Louisville, Buffalo (but meets academic standards)

:Yawn:

Big Ten Statement on Expansion

Dec. 15, 2009

The Big Ten Council of Presidents/Chancellors (COP/C) discussed the future of the Big Ten Conference at its winter meetings on Dec. 6 in Park Ridge, Illinois. The following statement is issued by the Big Ten office on behalf of the COP/C.

Penn State joined the Big Ten Conference in June of 1990 and its addition has been an unqualified success. In 1993, 1998 and 2003 the COP/C, in coordination with the commissioner's office, reviewed the issue of conference structure and expansion. The COP/C believes that the timing is right for the conference to once again conduct a thorough evaluation of options for conference structure and expansion. As a result, the commissioner was asked to provide recommendations for consideration by the COP/C over the next 12 to 18 months.

The COP/C understands that speculation about the conference is ongoing. The COP/C has asked the conference office to obtain, to the extent possible, information necessary to construct preliminary options and recommendations without engaging in formal discussions with leadership of other institutions. If and when such discussions become necessary the COP/C has instructed Commissioner James E. Delany to inform the Chair of the COP/C, Michigan State University President Lou Anna K. Simon, and then to notify the commissioner of the affected conference(s). Only after these notices have occurred will the Big Ten engage in formal expansion discussions with other institutions. This process will allow the Big Ten to evaluate options, while respecting peer conferences and their member institutions. No action by the COP/C is expected in the near term. No interim statements will be made by the Big Ten or the COP/C until after the COP/C receives the commissioner's recommendations and the COP/C determines next steps, if any, in this area.

The COP/C has asked the conference office to obtain, to the extent possible, information necessary to construct preliminary options and recommendations without engaging in formal discussions with leadership of other institutions.

Translated:

We're making Delaney earn his check this month.

He needs to use the "internets" to gather data on a short list of schools we might be interested in.

Important stuff, like best pre- and post-game bars, and how much money we can squeeze out of them as an admission fee.

And that dern star2city fellow knows the list somehow already.

What an earth-shattering statement. I'm glad they were able to straighten out the controversy and keep the masses informed of their impending potential research on the possibility of expansion.

The Big Ten is basically giving the Big East a courtesy and legal notice to get their house in order. To be an FBS league, the Big East MUST have eight teams or they lose their FBS and BCS status. If say Syracuse or Rutgers was gone today, the Big East would have respond quickly to add another school, but it's BCS status could be threatened anyway. Conferences needs a to have a number of years of transition so new members get acclimated. If the Big Ten didn't make this notice and proceed slowly , the Big10 would likely open itself to a major lawsuit.

When the ACC expanded, it's expansion was totally stealth: it wanted Syracuse / BC / Miami over Pitt / Rutgers / UConn / Va Tech etc and threatened the very survival of the Big East. When BC/Miami/VT left, the rest of the Big East schools - with the exception of Syracuse - sued the ACC and received out-of-court settlements. The Big Ten doesn't want a repeat of that action. Syracuse, by not taking legal action and not participating in the ACC settlement, is not as ethically bound to the rest of the Big East members as say Pitt or Rutgers.

Just happen to follow a Big East board. ;)

Translated:

We're making Delaney earn his check this month.

He needs to use the "internets" to gather data on a short list of schools we might be interested in.

Important stuff, like best pre- and post-game bars, and how much money we can squeeze out of them as an admission fee.

admission fee? if they were to court ND I don't think ND would pay anything.

The Big Ten is basically giving the Big East a courtesy and legal notice to get their house in order. To be an FBS league, the Big East MUST have eight teams or they lose their FBS and BCS status. If say Syracuse or Rutgers was gone today, the Big East would have respond quickly to add another school, but it's BCS status could be threatened anyway. Conferences needs a to have a number of years of transition so new members get acclimated. If the Big Ten didn't make this notice and proceed slowly , the Big10 would likely open itself to a major lawsuit.

When the ACC expanded, it's expansion was totally stealth: it wanted Syracuse / BC / Miami over Pitt / Rutgers / UConn / Va Tech etc and threatened the very survival of the Big East. When BC/Miami/VT left, the rest of the Big East schools - with the exception of Syracuse - sued the ACC and received out-of-court settlements. The Big Ten doesn't want a repeat of that action. Syracuse, by not taking legal action and not participating in the ACC settlement, is not as ethically bound to the rest of the Big East members as say Pitt or Rutgers.

Just happen to follow a Big East board. ;)

syracuse would do squat for big ten football, but basketball now that's another story.

The Big Ten order of preference:

1. Notre Dame (they will remain uninterested)

2. Syracuse (upstate NY, some of NYC, history, basketball strength, rival to Penn State, academics and research, side note: would add hockey)

3. Rutgers (NJ and NYC tv audience, academics and research)

4. Missouri (both KC and StL markets, academics and research)

Pitt, although meets the Big Ten requirements, doesn't add many TV's - Penn State delivers PA by itself

long shots: Maryland, BC, Texas, Kansas, Nebraska

no chance: Iowa State (meets the academic and research requirements, but adds no new media), Cincinnati, Kentucky, Louisville, Buffalo (but meets academic standards)

I'd go Notre Dame 1 and Pitt 2. Both have the athletic history and would increase TV revenue. Pitt brings the most in terms of academics and research (they're already at the Big Ten level). Rutgers is smaller on research (less than SUNY Buffalo) and has much less athletic history, but a much better potential market (if they could capture it). Missouri is about the same as Rutgers on athletic history and academics/research, but with smaller potential market. Syracuse is the least of the options, although they have good athletic history.

Doubt they'd be interested in anyone else.

I never said a BTHC wouldn't have an impact. I was merely stating that your Gonzaga comparison is a poor one. You even say so in your first sentence above considering UND is already with the "big boys." UND is in a much better position to stay relevant because of its history. Gonzaga is trying to build theirs. Sure, not playing UM or Wisco would mean less appeal and recognition, but I don't think we'd be relegated to a life of one-and-dones come tourney time.

Oh, and if believing the program has enough history and tradition to stand without the likes of Minnesota and Wisconsin means I see things through "green tinted glasses," then so be it. I figured someone living in the past with the moniker "BringDeanBack" could understand that.

It's not necessarily a poor comparison because there is no precedent for a more accurate one. For example, North Carolina and Duke have never left the ACC and left Maryland all alone in basketball. Ohio State and Michigan have never left the Big Ten in football and left Michigan State alone. The closest comparison would be the SEC when it split into East/West for football. However, both of those subconferences are still loaded.

It's not necessarily a poor comparison because there is no precedent for a more accurate one. For example, North Carolina and Duke have never left the ACC and left Maryland all alone in basketball. Ohio State and Michigan have never left the Big Ten in football and left Michigan State alone. The closest comparison would be the SEC when it split into East/West for football. However, both of those subconferences are still loaded.

The comparison you might like is the split up of the Southwest Conference: Arkansas going to the SEC, UT, A&M, TT, and Baylor to the Big 12. The rest: Houston, SMU, TCU, Rice were left in the cold.

But TCU isn't half bad. And hockey doesn't have a BCS system to contend with, where you don't have true access to a championship game unless you are a BCS member.

How about the Big 10+2?

Or Big 10-[common sense] ?

How about the Big 10+2?

I've always enjoyed:

Big Te(leve)n

Big Can't Count

As far as the Big Ten-or-so going for 14, I can't see it. The biggest benefit is going to 12 for a conference championship game. Beyond that I don't see benefit for an "end point" conference like the Big Ten. The Atlantic 10 is not an "end point" conference. Teams in it would go if invited to a BCS conference. The A-10 is at 14 to cover the possible event of an unplanned departure with no impact on their status (and autobid).

I've always enjoyed:

Big Te(leve)n

Big Can't Count

As far as the Big Ten-or-so going for 14, I can't see it. The biggest benefit is going to 12 for a conference championship game. Beyond that I don't see benefit for an "end point" conference like the Big Ten. The Atlantic 10 is not an "end point" conference. Teams in it would go if invited to a BCS conference. The A-10 is at 14 to cover the possible event of an unplanned departure with no impact on their status (and autobid).

The benefit is money, as always. Potentially, adding 3 vs. 1 would allow the various contracts (TV, merchandise, whatever) to grow by such an amount that each school would get more money that they are currently getting.

I have no idea if that would actually happen, but you never know. Who ever thought that conferences would grow to be 12 members before they did?

The benefit is money, as always. Potentially, adding 3 vs. 1 would allow the various contracts (TV, merchandise, whatever) to grow by such an amount that each school would get more money that they are currently getting.

I have no idea if that would actually happen, but you never know. Who ever thought that conferences would grow to be 12 members before they did?

That's where the commissioner's office will probably be looking at costs versus benefits of various league sizes.

Going to 12 makes sense: You sell the conference FB championship game. That I'd expect is net positive overall.

Going beyond 12, then you have to start looking at splits from the MBB tourney payout. If you don't get more teams in, and more wins from those who do get in, you're dividing the same share among more "mouths". That's net negative.

Then comes the evaluation of Big Ten Network and potential TV sets and advertising revenues.

It's enough that it'll take some serious business case analysis.

That's where the commissioner's office will probably be looking at costs versus benefits of various league sizes.

Going to 12 makes sense: You sell the conference FB championship game. That I'd expect is net positive overall.

Going beyond 12, then you have to start looking at splits from the MBB tourney payout. If you don't get more teams in, and more wins from those who do get in, you're dividing the same share among more "mouths". That's net negative.

Then comes the evaluation of Big Ten Network and potential TV sets and advertising revenues.

It's enough that it'll take some serious business case analysis.

The ACC made too many strategic errors by adding three at once - making the whole expansion a fiasco. The ACC is no where near where they expected to be as a 12-team league: their championship game draws flies, their football is subpar (Miami, Flor St, Clemson, Va all went south simultaneously). The Big Ten will be conservative - they always have been - and add one. Adding three is too many mouths to feed without understanding how 12 will play out.

The ACC made too many strategic errors by adding three at once - making the whole expansion a fiasco. The ACC is no where near where they expected to be as a 12-team league: their championship game draws flies, their football is subpar (Miami, Flor St, Clemson, Va all went south simultaneously). The Big Ten will be conservative - they always have been - and add one. Adding three is too many mouths to feed without understanding how 12 will play out.

Depends on what kind of mouths are coming to the party.

If USC, Florida and Texas wanted to join the Big Ten, I think they would make it work.