SiouxSports.com Forum

BTHC - Alvarez and OSU want to make it happen?

star2city

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was listening to WCCO radio this morning in the car and heard Don Lucia say that there was serious discussion of a BTHC this summer and that it was "a lot closer to happening than most people know." He said (and I'm paraphrasing based on memory) that there was one school in particular that was really driving it and Minnesota was the main hold out to keep it from happening. We pretty much knew all of that, but the seriousness placed on it by the Don was interesting.

BTN basically now holds the purse strings of the Big 10 institutions. They hold the rights to broadcast all sporting events for all of the schools, and they REALLY want college hockey to fill the black hole they currently have on Friday nights during the winter months.

If they can find one more school to commit to a D1 hockey program (at least 2 could make the move rather easily), there is NO doubt that the Big 10 Hockey Conference would become a reality very quickly.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out, especially with Alverez making a real serious push for it.

BTN basically now holds the purse strings of the Big 10 institutions. They hold the rights to broadcast all sporting events for all of the schools, and they REALLY want college hockey to fill the black hole they currently have on Friday nights during the winter months.

If they can find one more school to commit to a D1 hockey program (at least 2 could make the move rather easily), there is NO doubt that the Big 10 Hockey Conference would become a reality very quickly.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out, especially with Alverez making a real serious push for it.

There are other forces driving the BTHC. not BTN (see the article that started the thread).

If they REALLY want college hockey on BTN, they could do it now - there are plenty of games to show with the existing B10 hockey schools now.

Here's the problem - If the Buckeyes and Spartans are on B10N Friday nite, do you think Twin Cities viewers are going to switch away from a Gopher game to watch it? If not, what's the point for the B10N? They could get the same eyeballs showing Volleyball, Swimming, Football replays, etc. Only hockey markets (Detroit/TC) will be tuning in for hockey. They would need/want all their hockey viewers tuned in.

If they were smart, they would "Beanpot" the current Showcase on 2 Mondays. Then they would have an exclusive audience. They could do this now, without the BTHC.

There are other forces driving the BTHC. not BTN (see the article that started the thread).

If they REALLY want college hockey on BTN, they could do it now - there are plenty of games to show with the existing B10 hockey schools now.

Here's the problem - If the Buckeyes and Spartans are on B10N Friday nite, do you think Twin Cities viewers are going to switch away from a Gopher game to watch it? If not, what's the point for the B10N? They could get the same eyeballs showing Volleyball, Swimming, Football replays, etc. Only hockey markets (Detroit/TC) will be tuning in for hockey. They would need/want all their hockey viewers tuned in.

If they were smart, they would "Beanpot" the current Showcase on 2 Mondays. Then they would have an exclusive audience. They could do this now, without the BTHC.

There are games, but they really don't want to show a Big 10 vs Non Big 10 team. And if they decided they wanted people to watch the Buckeyes and the Spartans on BTN, there could just not give FSN the rights to the Gopher that night, and there would be no Gopher game to watch anywhere.

There are games, but they really don't want to show a Big 10 vs Non Big 10 team. And if they decided they wanted people to watch the Buckeyes and the Spartans on BTN, there could just not give FSN the rights to the Gopher that night, and there would be no Gopher game to watch anywhere.

... and that would be an incentive for Minn to join the BTHC? What's the UM $$$ cut of the OSU/MSU game versus the $$$ from FSN?

Do the math and it's why Maturi will fight the BTHC.

... and that would be an incentive for Minn to join the BTHC? What's the UM $$$ cut of the OSU/MSU game versus the $$$ from FSN?

Do the math and it's why Maturi will fight the BTHC.

No argument here......that's why Lucia(and hopefully Maturi), aren't real keen on the idea. In the end it would probably mean less exposure for the program.

Personally, I hope it never happens.

In the last couple years the BTN would carry one of the UM-UW games (in HDTV) out of the weekend and same with the Mich schools. Nothing this year. In fact I haven't seen them carry a game yet, so I'm really beginning to wonder how much of a driving force they are.

In the last couple years the BTN would carry one of the UM-UW games (in HDTV) out of the weekend and same with the Mich schools. Nothing this year. In fact I haven't seen them carry a game yet, so I'm really beginning to wonder how much of a driving force they are.

Agreed - most of their coverage area is interested in other sports vs hockey.

• 2 weeks later...
1st post here. Interesting topic. If Notre Dame decided to enter the BigTen would a six team hockey conference form? Six is the minumum for a conference right?

I think it's in the Big Ten bylaws that if six schools sponsor it then the Big Ten must have a conference. Still doubt Notre Dame moves to Big Ten even though it would be in the school's best interest. I think you see Syracuse or possibly UConn becoming the twelfth member and a Big Ten Hockey Conference up and running with affiliate members in the next three years. Alvarez and Wisconsin have a hell of a lot more pull than Mature (who could be unemployed soon) and Minnesota. If OSU, UW, and the two Michigan schools want Big Ten hockey then there is nothing Minnesota can do to stop it.

What is the WCHA's move then if they lose Wisc and Minn? Stick at 10 schools or expand? Hope for Moorhead St??? :lol:

Even if there is a Big Ten of hockey UND will be fine and still be a top power in college hockey. Alvarez is a moron. Think about this you put Michigan, MSU, Minnesota, OSU, and say a Notre Dame, all of these teams are going to be knocking the piss out of each other and they aren't going to end up with 4 or 5 teams in the NCAA Tourney, they actually hurt their chances. IF this happens and I don't think it will, MHO there will probably be a re-alignment for college hockey.

Even if there is a Big Ten of hockey UND will be fine and still a top power. Alvarez is a moron. Think about this you put Michigan, MSU, Minnesota, OSU, and say a Notre Dame, all of these teams are going to be knocking the piss out of each other and they aren't going to end up with 4 or 5 teams in the NCAA Tourney, they actually hurt their chances. IF this happens and I don't think it will, MHO there will probably be a re-alignment for college hockey.

I disagree. It would impact UND attendance considerably. Without Minnesota and Wisconsin the WCHA is a bunch of Division II and Division III schools except for UND and Denver. Games against SCSU and Mankato won't draw nearly as well without the interest created from big draws against Minnesota and Wisconsin.

I disagree. It would impact UND attendance considerably. Without Minnesota and Wisconsin the WCHA is a bunch of Division II and Division III schools except for UND and Denver. Games against SCSU and Mankato won't draw nearly as well without the interest created from big draws against Minnesota and Wisconsin.

People will still come to the games the Sioux sell out for a exhibition game against Manitoba.

I think it's in the Big Ten bylaws that if six schools sponsor it then the Big Ten must have a conference. Still doubt Notre Dame moves to Big Ten even though it would be in the school's best interest. I think you see Syracuse or possibly UConn becoming the twelfth member and a Big Ten Hockey Conference up and running with affiliate members in the next three years. Alvarez and Wisconsin have a hell of a lot more pull than Mature (who could be unemployed soon) and Minnesota. If OSU, UW, and the two Michigan schools want Big Ten hockey then there is nothing Minnesota can do to stop it.

I think the other school that has been mentioned as a possible recruit for the Big 10 is Rutgers. It is in the New York City market and a decent fit with the conference.

People will still come to the games the Sioux sell out for a exhibition game against Manitoba.

If the BHTC were to come to fruition, there is the possibility that we never see Minnesota during the regular season again due to the name. That is their position on scheduling non-conference in all other sports.

If the BHTC were to come to fruition, there is the possibility that we never see Minnesota during the regular season again due to the name. That is their position on scheduling non-conference in all other sports.

I'd hope we'd at least invite each other to our respective cup cake classics. ;)

I'm going to remain blindly optimistic that the Gophers will never acquiesce to a BTHC.

sioux-gopher week is THE best rivalry in all of sports, bar none, but if the big 10 schools want to take their "superiority" to their own conference, i will be 100% in favor of not scheduling any of them at all, including um and uw, for the simple reason of the attitude gooferz so elequently displayed above (which is a common attitude of these "superior" schools, we'll get the games we want anyways). the wcha would obviously take a hit losing two great programs, but hopefully it would grow college hockey if this ever happens, and then i say F the bthc, and let them play each other 6 times a season (i realize these teams will have no problem getting games, but ideally, the rest of college hockey would stand up for itself and say, ok big guys, want to play us? come here and do it, god knows um doesnt travel ;) ) i realize this is a pipe dream as these schools will fill a schedule every season, but just voicing my opinion as to what should happen if the bthc happens... stand up for each other college hockey. the sioux can schedule home and homes with holy cross or air force or merrimack for all i care, heck with the way the pwr works now, cupcake wins are worth a heck of a lot more than a tough loss to a good team anyways.

GO SIOUX!!

Wow and I thought St. Cloud had the Marsha, Marsha complex.

I haven't been following the topic, but wouldn't UND get an invite to the BTHC regardless of which level their other sports are? I've gotta imagine that UND is one of the highest-revenue schools in college hockey, and would be of interest to a new hockey conference should other big schools join. Tell me if I'm missing something.

I haven't been following the topic, but wouldn't UND get an invite to the BTHC regardless of which level their other sports are? I've gotta imagine that UND is one of the highest-revenue schools in college hockey, and would be of interest to a new hockey conference should other big schools join. Tell me if I'm missing something.

What you're missing is its the football schools, and their AD's driving the bus. They would leave UND behind - UND is not a Big Ten school.

Even if there is a Big Ten of hockey UND will be fine and still be a top power in college hockey. Alvarez is a moron. Think about this you put Michigan, MSU, Minnesota, OSU, and say a Notre Dame, all of these teams are going to be knocking the piss out of each other and they aren't going to end up with 4 or 5 teams in the NCAA Tourney, they actually hurt their chances. IF this happens and I don't think it will, MHO there will probably be a re-alignment for college hockey.

People are naive and blind if they don't think BTHC would hurt UND. UND would lose all those games against Wisc and Minnesota. The best UND could hope for is becoming a team like Gonzaga is to college basketball. Play some big boys (usually on the road), beat up on a weak conference schedule, and get beat out in the early rounds of the national tourney.

What you're missing is its the football schools, and their AD's driving the bus. They would leave UND behind - UND is not a Big Ten school.

I understand that, but the only Big 10 schools that have hockey are Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State. Notre Dame makes it 6, and I don't see the point of starting a 6 team conference. Maybe I'm being ignorant of something, but it seems to me that if those 6 schools needed 4 teams to fill out the conference, UND would make by far the most sense.